The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Peter Andersson | D

Get real canuck fans

Next to Tanev, Andersson was actually our second best D prospect on the Wolves. He outplayed Connauton on most nights.

He earned this callup.

This. Simply put, he was called up for Canucks camp because he's just been really good for the Wolves. Not putting up points or anything, but playing solid defense. After the first round of call-ups (Ebbett, Schroeder, Kassian, Tanev, Connauton) he was playing on the 1st pairing.

His highest point output in his entire career is 8 points, so it's unlikely he'll develop into a 2-way defenseman.

That being said he's pretty big already and will just get stronger and heavier, so I guess something like a bigger/physical Tanev?

I agree. I am super exited about Andersson. He has played very well for wolves despite tough competition. Strong and calm

His highest point output in his entire career is 8 points, so it's unlikely he'll develop into a 2-way defenseman.

That being said he's pretty big already and will just get stronger and heavier, so I guess something like a bigger/physical Tanev?

Not that I think Andersson will be an offensive dynamo or anything, but point production in the SEL, especially with defensemen, is a deceiving. There's just not a lot of scoring in Sweden and defensemen - as a general rule, of course there are exceptions - don't put up a lot of points.

You want to know Erik Karlsson's highest offensive output in the Elitserien (SEL)? 10 points - 5 goals, 5 assists - in 45 games.

• 2 weeks later...

6 points and a +5 in 24 game so far. Very good rookie season, especially compared to the "NHL ready" dmen on the Wolves. He is quickly climbing up the depth chart passing Polasek and Sauve. He might even pass Connauton by the end of the year the way things are going.

Connauton - 9 points -13 in 35 games ( I am sure he gets way more PP time too)

Joslin - 6 points -4 in 34 games

Personally, Andersson has leaped all defensemen on the Wolves for me. Not even a contest for Sauve and Polasek (whom i've been supporting for quite some time). Better suited for the NHL than Connauton, IMO.

Andersson is not that far from being NHL ready. He consistently impresses me with how smart he is with the puck, his efficient puck movement, and his poise. He is so solid defensively with his decision making. Its rare to see him make a mistake. He wins battles along the boards and plays his man well.

He hasn't gotten near the PP time that Connauton has, but i think he can be a contributor there as well. He did not look out of place early in the season when he got a chance there. He has a good shot and makes smart passes. He is also becoming more assertive offensively which is nice to see. He has adapted rather easily to the small rink and the AHL style of play. He does not shy away from physical play like Erixon did.

If i had to choose a comparable, i'd say Carl Gunnarsson. That goes beyond the Swedish connection, but mainly how solid defensively they are and how they can chip in a bit offensively with their smart play.

Personally, Andersson has leaped all defensemen on the Wolves for me. Not even a contest for Sauve and Polasek (whom i've been supporting for quite some time). Better suited for the NHL than Connauton, IMO.

Andersson is not that far from being NHL ready. He consistently impresses me with how smart he is with the puck, his efficient puck movement, and his poise. He is so solid defensively with his decision making. Its rare to see him make a mistake. He wins battles along the boards and plays his man well.

He hasn't gotten near the PP time that Connauton has, but i think he can be a contributor there as well. He did not look out of place early in the season when he got a chance there. He has a good shot and makes smart passes. He is also becoming more assertive offensively which is nice to see. He has adapted rather easily to the small rink and the AHL style of play. He does not shy away from physical play like Erixon did.

If i had to choose a comparable, i'd say Carl Gunnarsson. That goes beyond the Swedish connection, but mainly how solid defensively they are and how they can chip in a bit offensively with their smart play.

Good to hear

Great to hear, sounds like we actually got a pretty good one in him (for a later round pick), I'll start keeping an eye on him.

I remember Andersson being really hyped when we drafted him in 2009. A lot of people called him the next Edler. But it seemed like his stock dropped last year with no points with Frolunda (27 games) and only 4 points in the Allsvenskan with Boras HC (30 games).

I'm very happy to see Andersson adapting to the North American game so well, and seeing the fanbase embrace him again.

Is he a physical defensive defensemen?

Be nice to add a solid frame on the backend who has a mean streak in his game.

I agree. It would sure be nice to see a Brooks Orpik or Douglas Murray type defenseman on the Canucks back end.

He seems like a steady defensive guy, but apparently there might be some offense there too. Not alot but a bit.

after reading into him more he seems alot like Jonathan Ericsson to me.

Here's the breakdown of Ericssons game

ASSETS: Owns the size NHL teams crave along the blueline. Has a big frame and all-around ability. Can log big minutes because he's rather low-maintenance. gif.gif

FLAWS: Doesn't always use his size to the best of his capability. Is not a natural offensive defenseman and can struggle if pressured with the puck. gif.gif

CAREER POTENTIAL: Big, mobile defenseman with all-round ability.

Sounds alot like Andersson IMO, there are certainly some comparables (one being that they are both Swedish and both are late round picks)

If he could turn into this type of defensemen I would be pretty happy.

Archived