The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ticket from Private Parking Company - Need Advice

DonLever

I got a letter form Diamond Parking saying I was issued a ticket for time expired at Wendy's Restaurant at 8th and Cambie.

First, there was no ticket on the windshield when I got back to my car.

Second, I was already gone from time listed on the letter. The time listed was 8:00 pm but I was gone by 7:30.

The letter said I would be taken to court or car towed if I park at one of their lots if a violation occurred again.

Any advice?

And how do they know how long I stayed in that lot? There was no metered parking or attendant. So was that guy there all the time?

First: Get evidence that you weren’t there and that you didint get a ticket.

Second: Park there again and let them tow your car.

Third: Take them to court and RAIN HELL on them for some extra pocket cash!

Actually don’t do this.

Maybe just phone up the company and ask them about it, or pay the ticket because, trust me, they will tow your car. And even of you really didn’t get a ticket, their workers have a record that you did get one, so they will not leave you alone.

They do this all the time because some people just don't want the hassle and they just pay it off to not have to worry about it.

Diamond parking is a joke.

Call them up,it will take five minutes and they'll say sorry for the mistake.

Someone should get the better buisness bureau on them.

I had almost the exact same thing happen to me,except I never parked in their area,just right beside it on the street. Crooks I tell ya!

DON'T PAY PARKING TICKETS. Seriously man, I've never paid a parking ticket in my life. I had a summons to court once for unpaid tickets. I didn't go. That was like 6 years ago. Especially for private parking companies, if you just ignore them they go away. I know what people are going to say, "But if they send it to collections it affects your credit DURRRRRRRR." No it doesn't. The collections agency doesn't want the hassle either. Ignore them and it goes away.

DON'T PAY PARKING TICKETS. Seriously man, I've never paid a parking ticket in my life. I had a summons to court once for unpaid tickets. I didn't go. That was like 6 years ago. Especially for private parking companies, if you just ignore them they go away. I know what people are going to say, "But if they send it to collections it affects your credit DURRRRRRRR." No it doesn't. The collections agency doesn't want the hassle either. Ignore them and it goes away.

I got a letter form Diamond Parking saying I was issued a ticket for time expired at Wendy's Restaurant at 8th and Cambie.

First, there was no ticket on the windshield when I got back to my car.

Second, I was already gone from time listed on the letter. The time listed was 8:00 pm but I was gone by 7:30.

The letter said I would be taken to court or car towed if I park at one of their lots if a violation occurred again.

Any advice?

And how do they know how long I stayed in that lot? There was no metered parking or attendant. So was that guy there all the time?

I fought Diamond Parking (and won)...they're crooks! I came out of work on Hallowe'en to find a ticket on my windshield (for parking at work - there are two malls joined together and I parked at one, shopped there, then walked into the building to work) - the thing was, it was dated Oct. 2! They tried to claim that I'd driven around for weeks, through all the inclement weather we'd had, with the ticket on my windshield. There wasn't a mark or a fold on it.

A couple of days later I got a letter in the mail saying my fine had increased as the payment was overdue. I phoned and told them that their actions bordered on criminal, as I didn't even work on Oct. 2 and they'd fabricated a date in order to extort extra money from me. There was a write up in the local paper here in Richmond about them - their tactics are total crap. I also noticed that in the same mall (Broadmoor) their signs said if you were parked longer than the allotted time, the fine was $500!! I also noted that some one clever peeled one of the zeroes off on one sign.

Fight it - threaten to expose them as liars (they are). They'll likely back down. If you google "Diamond Parking", you'll see what they're all about and that this is nothing new for them.

E-mail here: Appeals@diamondparking.com

A couple ways you can go. One, send an appeal and rather than dispute the ticket itself, dispute the price of the ticket. Say you're a student/unemployed/other expenses, and that you cannot afford to pay the full price of the ticket. Without fail, rather than make you pay a reduced price, they will just drop the ticket.

You could also tell them to send you a copy of the original ticket printed by the parking attendant. On all DPS tickets, they will have the LP number and description of the vehicle ie/ 4dr toyota. Since you didn't get the ticket put on your windshield, there are two possibilities: 1) they got the LP number wrong and ticketed you instead. 2) The original ticket will not have the description of the type of car you drive (ie/ ticket says Ford Tempo but you drive a Lambo).

I love disputing tickets, parking companies are such crooks.

EDIT: I also suggest not taking Deb's advice. You don't have to be nice to these people, but when you're asking for something, rarely does it help if you act like an uppity prick.

I fought Diamond Parking (and won)...they're crooks! I came out of work on Hallowe'en to find a ticket on my windshield (for parking at work - there are two malls joined together and I parked at one, shopped there, then walked into the building to work) - the thing was, it was dated Oct. 2! They tried to claim that I'd driven around for weeks, through all the inclement weather we'd had, with the ticket on my windshield. There wasn't a mark or a fold on it.

A couple of days later I got a letter in the mail saying my fine had increased as the payment was overdue. I phoned and told them that their actions bordered on criminal, as I didn't even work on Oct. 2 and they'd fabricated a date in order to extort extra money from me. There was a write up in the local paper here in Richmond about them - their tactics are total crap. I also noticed that in the same mall (Broadmoor) their signs said if you were parked longer than the allotted time, the fine was $500!! I also noted that some one clever peeled one of the zeroes off on one sign.

Fight it - threaten to expose them as liars (they are). They'll likely back down. If you google "Diamond Parking", you'll see what they're all about and that this is nothing new for them.

I really doubt they would take you to court. Not worth the time or money to them. However, if you park in ANY of their lots again you probably will get towed.

I'd call them up and say that you never got a ticket and if they keep sending you threatening emails you will talk to legal council.

Archived