The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mason Raymond...how much to re-sign?

ratattack

No team is going to offer a first and third round pick for Raymond. They will sit right at 3mil bucks and give us a second rounder.

Im sure the Bruins are chaffing at the bit for that. We want Bostons second round pick????

Even if the thrashers or Islanders off him 3mil, thats still only 33rd overal and in this draft it means dry crap.

Do you guys even know how hard it is to find guys who can score in the this league? We sure have some pretty short memories from 2-3 years ago where we would have parted with all kinds of assets to gain a top 6 forward.

Now you want to chuck them out the window, even before they are in their prime?

Why? Because we want to fantasize about Cody Hodgson making the team all of a sudden?

That would be pretty damn stupid dont you think?

Im glad Gillis is the GM and not you guys.

What you guys are really saying is you want Raymond and Wellwood out of here to make room for the beloved Cody. We all get that.

Lets see Hodgson perform as a top line center in the AHL for a year before we talk about throwing our talented young Canuck forwards away .

• 1 month later...

It's not a question of IF, because he will be re-signed. It's a question of how much. Let's look at the positives:

-24 years old

-one of the premier skaters in the league

-had an excellent season overall (25-28-53)

-lots of goal-scoring potential

-works well with Kesler

Now, let's look at the negatives

-24 years old

-may have been a fluke season (although I doubt it)

-inconsistent at times during the season

-streaky player

I'm expecting Raymond to demand a 3-4 Million dollar contract. The canucks probably want a short-term deal for 2-3 Million to see how things play out. If he hits restricted free agency, he'll likely get a contract offer of 4 Million, which the Canucks WILL match. I'm expecting a 4 year 15 million dollar deal that has an average cap hit of 3.750 Million per season. Fairly steep, but we have money left over to sign one more top four defenseman.

I'm expecting Raymond to demand a 3-4 Million dollar contract. The canucks probably want a short-term deal for 2-3 Million to see how things play out. If he hits restricted free agency, he'll likely get a contract offer of 4 Million, which the Canucks WILL match. I'm expecting a 4 year 15 million dollar deal that has an average cap hit of 3.750 Million per season. Fairly steep, but we have money left over to sign one more top four defenseman.

<br />I know Healey said tonight that he thought Raymond would get 3 mill per season.  What do you guys think it will take to re-sign him?  How long?  Can we afford him?<br /><br />Personally, if he'd take 3 per year I'd sign him for as long as possible.<br />

With recent signings of 40 point scorers getting 2.5 to 2.67 million, its hard to believe we'll get Raymond for below 2.5 mill. And with Kulemin apparently asking for 3 mill but supposedly may be signing around 2.25 to 2.5 mill, for his 16 goal season, Raymond's agent has to be happy as hell that Gillis didn't get him signed yet... At this rate, all the comparable deals would point to Raymond being worth 3 mill...

Nothing over 2.5 million.

Hopefully he signs at around 2.25. When this guy gets his confidence going (right now) he looks great, but when he's not rolling, it's really frustrating to watch him.

Also, he's a RFA, not a UFA, so the Canucks have a bit of an upper hand.

I wouldn't mind if somebody gave him an offersheet and we got a 1st and a 3rd, because we're missing a 2nd and a 3rd in next year's draft.

• 1 year later...

Archived