The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

**Unofficial Golf Thread**

Are you a golfer?  

90 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think a more experienced caddy would help Rory so much. JP seems to have little or no input in what he does. I am no fan of Stevie "Great front runner" Williams but he would help Rory so much out there. Anyway, I am not a Mcilroy fan, dont know what it is but I just cannot seem to like him.

Just seen an interview with that year old kid who has taken Paul Casey's spot............WOW......14 years old??? Thats unbelievable, anyone would think this is tennis :lol:

3 bogeys in a row for Tiger... yikes! Hope he gets a few birdies back although lots of Golf to play.

How about that Hossler guy?

Looks like Tiger settled things down a little.

Pretty tough course by the looks of it. The scores a pretty high.Tiger is leading at -1 and the projected cut could be as high as +7.

Still a pretty interesting tournament though.

I think thats as good an indicator that Tiger is back and comnfortable with his swing now, not so long ago those 3 straight bogies would have totally finished his round, especially the 3 putt at the 7th.......brutal.

He looks back to me, just staying focused and playing every shot one at a time not getting caught up in previous holes.

EDIT: The US Open is crazy the way they place the flag to protect par. If the cut is at +8 I can guarantee you I would be just dead playing the course like this. Luckily I am used to crazy fast greens living in the Okanagan.

Edited by JoGuitar

He looks back to me, just staying focused and playing every shot one at a time not getting caught up in previous holes.

EDIT: The US Open is crazy the way they place the flag to protect par. If the cut is at +8 I can guarantee you I would be just dead playing the course like this. Luckily I am used to crazy fast greens living in the Okanagan.

I play on links greens and know hard and fast, just as they should be but the USGA get it so wrong with their pin placements. How can they put flags so close to the front of the green and tuck them in behind bunkers, I hate to see 20 under but I also get a little tired of the way they set up (some) of the US Open courses.

Ive played Penticton a few times, played in their Open a couple of years back, played Pondarosa, The Bear and quite a few of the Okanagan courses. My favorite course over there is Tobiano.........wow, amazing course!!!

Not trying to troll, but golfing is the most massive waste of land and resources I can think of. Large tracts of land wasted to knock a little white ball in fewer strokes than another person. Add to all the water used to keep the grounds maintained. Waste!

Play tennis, soccer, go for a hike, a bike ride, tai chi, roller blade. My Dad was an avid golfer, never found the attraction.

I understand where you are coming from, ghosts. And I guess you are right. But just look at, for instance, Wimbledon....19 tournament courts, 22 practice courts(all with grass) among other facilities...huge! Look at a lot of the soccer stadiums around the world....acres and acres of land used up for grandstands and parking. Bottom line is people are going to buy land and do what they want with it.

Not trying to troll, but golfing is the most massive waste of land and resources I can think of. Large tracts of land wasted to knock a little white ball in fewer strokes than another person. Add to all the water used to keep the grounds maintained. Waste!

Play tennis, soccer, go for a hike, a bike ride, tai chi, roller blade. My Dad was an avid golfer, never found the attraction.

Except for the hundreds of courses (including my own) that are active parts of the Audubon society. I can speak from experience when I say that many golf courses are conscientious of the delicate ecosystems they are occupying and are doing everything they can to preserve it.

http://www.audubon.org/

What's worse, a golf course that still provides green space as well as treed areas, bushes, ponds and creeks ect. for deer, rabbits, ducks, geese, fish and many smaller animals to live in, or a shopping mall? Condo development?

There are a hundred less Eco-friendly uses for land than a golf course.

To your other point, golf is not for everyone. I personally never enjoyed playing tennis. Good workout, sure, but never found it much fun to play. That's my preference. Judging by the multi-billion dollar industry golf is many people do enjoy it. I love it that not only are you competing against someone, you can compete against just yourself (can you play a solo tennis match?) and you are always playing against the elements.

Edited by Champions of Nothing
  • Upvote 1

Except for the hundreds of courses (including my own) that are active parts of the Audubon society. I can speak from experience when I say that many golf courses are conscientious of the delicate ecosystems they are occupying and are doing everything they can to preserve it.

What's worse, a golf course that still provides green space as well as treed areas, bushes, ponds and creeks ect. for deer, rabbits, ducks, geese, fish and many smaller animals to live in, or a shopping mall? Condo development?

To your other point, golf is not for everyone. I personally never enjoyed playing tennis. Good workout, sure, but never found it much fun to play. That's my preference. Judging by the multi-billion dollar industry golf is many people do enjoy it. I love it that not only are you competing against someone, you can compete against just yourself (can you play a solo tennis match?) and you are always playing against the elements.

Very solid point.

JAY JANOWER@DOUBLEJGLOBALBC

Next time I hear or read "Tiger is BACK" story I might go postal..getting beyond laughable isn't it..back to what exactly? #enoughalready

Couldn't agree more.

I was thinking the same last night after the 3rd round.Golf analysts keep making fools of themselves saying this and that about Tigers big return to the winning circle at a major.

There still is 1 round left but he would have to do something miraculous and the leaders would have to choke big time for him to win this weekend.

Furyk is looking good though,he had many clutch par saving puts yesterday.McDowell had a solid round as well.The Big Easy had a descent round as well.It's gonna be pretty hard to predict a winner.

Perfect answer. Those that dont play golf or visit courses have no idea what the course is all about.Thank you for saying what I wanted to say, better and calmer than I was going to :lol:

As for the US Open, 23.10 the last group go out here, UK time. What a joke the USGA are, they have royally f**ked this one up.

Anyway, I fancy GMac to claim major number 2. He has looked totally in control so far this week plus, it has been a long time since Furyk won and I think he might just crumble, I hope not, he is one of few American golfers I quite like. Im still rooting for Westwood though, great 67 yesterday, same again today and that will do me thinks!!!

OMG THIS SUCKS!!

Before the US Open started I was thinking of putting money down on some guy with not very good odds to win. I was looking at anyone around 50/1-100/1. I seriously looked at Webb Simpson and thought I should put down $10 on him. If I remember correctly he was 66/1. I debated it for a bit, but I chickened out.

Only because I am on a cold streak on my betting and haven't won since the end of the NHL regular season.

Kicking myself now though.