The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

**Unofficial Golf Thread**

Are you a golfer?  

90 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Another win for Brook Henderson yesterday, this time the Cambia Portland Classic. (the same event where she got her first win last year)

I watched her final 8 holes or so and although she didn't play particularly well, the players chasing her were a bit worse. One of those "gut it out" kind of wins. Brook basically won the tourney on a late hole. Both she and her closest competitor flew the green and were left with steep downhill pitches. Her opponent, Mariajo Uribe, rolled her pitch well past the hole, leaving a 60ft putt for par.

Brook went to school on the shot and left her pitch well above the hole. While Uribe was unable to get her par put close, Henderson hit a firm putt that likely would have rolled well past the hole had it not gone in the cup.

That left her with a 4 stroke advantage coming home and sealed the victory.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice to see that FIGJAM didn't win the Open. Great round be Henrik Stenson. 8 under 63, for a total of 20 under over the four days.

Can't stand Mickelson and after listening to every sports network in North America gushing about him all weekend, it's pretty nice to see him finish second. 

How Swede it is!

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Nice to see that FIGJAM didn't win the Open. Great round be Henrik Stenson. 8 under 63, for a total of 20 under over the four days.

Can't stand Mickelson and after listening to every sports network in North America gushing about him all weekend, it's pretty nice to see him finish second. 

How Swede it is!

Booo on your Mickelson comments. The attention was warranted after opening up with a 63 and holding the lead going into Saturday.

Huge congrats to Stenson. One of the best duels I have ever seen. He didn't blink at all. Beauty victory by him.

19 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

Booo on your Mickelson comments. The attention was warranted after opening up with a 63 and holding the lead going into Saturday.

Huge congrats to Stenson. One of the best duels I have ever seen. He didn't blink at all. Beauty victory by him.

Maybe. But there's a reason he's known as FIGJAM and it's why I cheer for him to lose...

Boo all you like.

15 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Maybe. But there's a reason he's known as FIGJAM and it's why I cheer for him to lose...

Boo all you like.

That reason is based on a couple of 'reporters' hearsay of Phil's peers. That story is 10 years old and only lives on because of people like you repeating it. It has minimal basis in fact. I see it being churned by people that are jealous of the guy's humility and grace while still being a dominant athlete. 

And after all, the guy is pretty good ;) 

52 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

That reason is based on a couple of 'reporters' hearsay of Phil's peers. That story is 10 years old and only lives on because of people like you repeating it. It has minimal basis in fact. I see it being churned by people that are jealous of the guy's humility and grace while still being a dominant athlete. 

And after all, the guy is pretty good ;) 

Agree with the last sentence. Not the first four. (Especially the "humility" part)

I still remember before the start of the 2003 Masters, when Phil was asked who would be the first lefty to win at Augusta....he rolled his eyes at the reporter and said, "I think we all know the answer to that".

That particular loss looked especially good on him.

• 2 months later...

The horribly pro USA morons yelling out at every chance, get in the hole etc and even one sledging Rory yelling out Wozniacki are a blight on the game. Should be ejected. Arnold Palmer and other past gentlemen of the game would be ashamed.

• 1 month later...

Sad news....fantastic golfer....

Canadian golfer Dawn Coe-Jones has died of cancer. She was 56.

Coe-Jones played on the LPGA Tour from 1984-2008 and had three Tour wins from 1992-1995.

The Lake Cowichan, B.C., native was inducted into the Canadian Golf Hall of Fame in 2003.

Coe-Jones won the British Columbia Amateur title in 1982-83 and the 1983 Canadian Amateur title.

5 hours ago, ShakyWalton said:

Sad news....fantastic golfer....

Canadian golfer Dawn Coe-Jones has died of cancer. She was 56.

Coe-Jones played on the LPGA Tour from 1984-2008 and had three Tour wins from 1992-1995.

The Lake Cowichan, B.C., native was inducted into the Canadian Golf Hall of Fame in 2003.

Coe-Jones won the British Columbia Amateur title in 1982-83 and the 1983 Canadian Amateur title.

Just read this

Very sad news :(

&^@# cancer

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, clam linguine said:

YAY!!!   WE WIN!!

Hmm... can't post alink for some reason.  Rookie Mackenzie Hughes from Hamilton wins the RMC classic.

he had a great 5 days..he was 1st from day 1...congrats...some good young Canadian golfers coming up.....my personal favorite is Adam Hadwin.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, ShakyWalton said:

he had a great 5 days..he was 1st from day 1...congrats...some good young Canadian golfers coming up.....my personal favorite is Adam Hadwin.

I am hoping for Adam too, he looks like a solid player.  Sure hope he breaks through.  My favorite has been Graham.  I have followed Delaet around in the Arizona tournaments quite a bit.  Too bad his game is suffering right now.  I have kind of quit following the men's golf as closely for the last 4 or 5 months since our guys haven't been contending.   This was a big surprise for me.  I didn't even know who Mackenzie  was until Sunday.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, clam linguine said:

I am hoping for Adam too, he looks like a solid player.  Sure hope he breaks through.  My favorite has been Graham.  I have followed Delaet around in the Arizona tournaments quite a bit.  Too bad his game is suffering right now.  I have kind of quit following the men's golf as closely for the last 4 or 5 months since our guys haven't been contending.   This was a big surprise for me.  I didn't even know who Mackenzie  was until Sunday.

Hadwin had a good tourney 2 weeks ago...finished in the top ten.....yes..quite a good group...Hearn...Taylor...Hadwin..Hughes and DaLaet

20 hours ago, clam linguine said:

Who are the six scratch golfers on here....I hate you...lol.

Not me. I love the game, but it's far too expensive for me. Hockey is the one pricey sport that I can afford.

Grats to Hughes on the win. I have to admit that I thought he was done after missing the chance to win the previous night.

46 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Not me. I love the game, but it's far too expensive for me. Hockey is the one pricey sport that I can afford.

Grats to Hughes on the win. I have to admit that I thought he was done after missing the chance to win the previous night.

Thank God....hahaha.   Season passes are the only way to go.   I golf almost every day, so with a pass, its works out to be cheap. I am with you on those single game fees.....ouch!

1 hour ago, clam linguine said:

Thank God....hahaha.   Season passes are the only way to go.   I golf almost every day, so with a pass, its works out to be cheap. I am with you on those single game fees.....ouch!

A season pass runs about $1400 here. Hockey is $450 for the season and it's about all I can handle as far as a recreational sport goes.

Maybe once the last kid flies the nest, I can handle a golf pass....

• 2 weeks later...

Tiger's back.

Currently in 1st place at -4. 

Not the greatest drive off the first tee but definitely not the worst either, although he didn't hurt himself so it was a net positive. GREAT second shot! That's the type of shot that scares the crap outta any golf/Tiger fans cause you just worry about him wrenching his back. 

Should be a fun day. Tiger week is officially official.