The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

**Unofficial Golf Thread**

Are you a golfer?  

90 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 2017-07-15 at 10:36 PM, I.Am.Ironman said:

Hello Golf goers.

I am in the market for some new wedges (ideally a 52 & 60 degree). Any recommendations? The Vokey's are beautiful but also expensive to buy new. I am a student although I have enough money saved up from working to justify a $200ish between the two clubs. I don't mind looking for previous models (say the Vokey SM5 vs the new SM6).

Has anyone played the blue ion Mizunos? The blue will wear but how is the club?

Thanks in advance.

I should add that I shoot in the 90s

Mizuno is the way to go for irons/wedges, as they are designed for the better golfers. I'm biased here though, as I have the Original MP series from 2007. 10 years and counting. 

Not a fan of Titleist wedges but everyone seems to love the Vokey's.

Really depends on preference for performance vs. Look. If you have a golf town near you, they will let you hit some clubs to help decide which you like.

• Upvote 1

On 2017-05-31 at 1:07 AM, Tony Romo said:

I'm severely pulling most of my shots, any tips?

Probably kind of late in the season to be responding... but...depends on if you normally draw or fade the ball. If you fade the ball, I'd say to put the ball further back in your stance; and if you draw the ball, I'd say either stand further from the ball or do some kind of visualization to help keep your hands more open at impact. 

Hard to give tips without seeing the meat and potatoes. Hope that helps.

13 hours ago, Art Vandelay said:

Mizuno is the way to go for irons/wedges, as they are designed for the better golfers. I'm biased here though, as I have the Original MP series from 2007. 10 years and counting. 

Not a fan of Titleist wedges but everyone seems to love the Vokey's.

Really depends on preference for performance vs. Look. If you have a golf town near you, they will let you hit some clubs to help decide which you like.

I was about to buy the mizuno's but ended up getting a pretty good deal on some Vokey's. I bought a new 60deg, plus second hand 52 and 56 degree Vokeys. I love them. The second hand clubs were in good condition as well. Still getting used to them with certain shots but having the 52 and 60 degree option has really improved my short game.

I was about to buy the S5 blue ion mizunos new from sportchek but they didn't honour a previous promotion so I went with the Vokey's to match the new 60 degree i had just purchased.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Brooke Henderson returns a favour to Lydia Ko by winning Lydia's home tournament down in New Zealand. Brookes 5th career win and 2nd of the year. She's now in 4th place in the race to the CME Globe Championship.    Yay!!  Nice cape!

Image result for brooke henderson new zealand trophy images

Edited by clam linguine

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/27/2018 at 11:55 AM, Shift-4 said:

Congrats to Brooke Henderson on winning Canadian Open!!!

I confess...........I teared up.  :) 

Henderson is one career win away from tying the record for career wins as a Canadian golfer (Mike Weir, Sandra Post, George Knudson)....

...at 20 years of age. By the time her career is over she'll be miles ahead.

1 minute ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Henderson is one career win away from tying the record for career wins as a Canadian golfer (Mike Weir, Sandra Post, George Knudson)....

As long as the avoids the Michelle Wie treatment.

On 8/29/2018 at 2:34 PM, RUPERTKBD said:

kilometres ahead  :P 

• Cheers 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Europe wins the Ryder Cup!:towel:Almost erases the disappointment in three dismal performances by Vancouver teams yesterday...

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/golf/us-cant-pull-off-comeback-europe-wins-ryder-cup-in-dominant-fashion/ar-BBNKlwo?li=AAggXBR

To make it even better, the clinching points were earned in a loss by FIGJAM...;)

• 1 month later...

I was just curious to see if anyone cares about this Tiger vs Phil, head to head, PPV match that sponsor Capital One is trying so hard to hype?

Every day, I see a "report" on the two trash talking each other, or placing side bets and I ask: Does anyone really care? I certainly don't.

Maybe while they're at it, they could set up a PPV game of HORSE between Metta World Peace and Dennis Rodman....<_<

43 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I was just curious to see if anyone cares about this Tiger vs Phil, head to head, PPV match that sponsor Capital One is trying so hard to hype?

Every day, I see a "report" on the two trash talking each other, or placing side bets and I ask: Does anyone really care? I certainly don't.

Maybe while they're at it, they could set up a PPV game of HORSE between Metta World Peace and Dennis Rodman....<_<

10-15 years too late. And I would not pay money to see Tiger do anything.

46 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I lol'd when I heard it was PPV. Be interesting to see what the numbers for it are...........or should I say how many suckers are out there.

43 minutes ago, gurn said:

10-15 years too late. And I would not pay money to see Tiger do anything.

....and two of the more unlikeable players on the PGA tour...

Hopefully, the numbers suck and Capital One loses a bunch of money. Only thing that would make it better, is if both players finished above par....

23 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

....and two of the more unlikeable players on the PGA tour...

Hopefully, the numbers suck and Capital One loses a bunch of money. Only thing that would make it better, is if both players finished above par....

One can hope!

5 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Gave a couple mgrs the day off to watch at the pub. They were looking forward to it.