The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

**Unofficial Golf Thread**

Are you a golfer?  

90 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Nick Taylor of Abbotsford  wins at Pebble Beach with a total of -19

This will give us 4 Canadians at the Masters now! :)

He takes home $1.4M :gocan:

Taylor was born in Winnipeg, Manitoba and grew up in Abbotsford, British Columbia. His home golf course is Ledgeview Golf and Country Club.

Edited by Mackcanuck

Showed this article to the wife:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/12/health/golfing-early-death-risk-wellness/index.html

However, when comparing death rates among golfers and non-golfers, researchers found that golfers had a more than 8% lower death rate (from all causes) than non-golfers.
While playing golf hasn't been shown to reduce risk of heart attack and stroke, golf as a protective factor against early death risk is a suitable activity option for older adults due to its low impact and relaxed nature, the authors said.

Now she really doesn't want me to go golfing...:unsure:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Just one of those funny things that rarely happens... figured I'd share.

Scene: Saturday afternoon, Cedar Hill golf course, 17th fairway.

My drive ends up ~165yds away from the green, just walking up the hill to my clubs, can't see the ball over the crest of the hill. Start hearing some shouting from the edge of the 16th, kinda looking around to see what's up, then I get to the crest of the hill, and see what they're yelling about... a crow decided my ball was an egg... it was trying to pick it up in it's beak, but pushed it back ~15yds :lol:. As i was getting close to it, it finally got it in it's beak, and started hopping further back! Finally fumbled it just around the cart path for a total loss of about 25yds, then it just hopped off to the side, turned around and stared me down like I'm the a-hole. I mean, I would have been cool with it if, it had carried it to the green, but damn, never thought I'd see that happen. Wish I had taken a video of it, but was in a flabbergasted state of "wtf is actually happening here?".

Happy golfing everyone!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Chickenspear said:

Just one of those funny things that rarely happens... figured I'd share.

Scene: Saturday afternoon, Cedar Hill golf course, 17th fairway.

My drive ends up ~165yds away from the green, just walking up the hill to my clubs, can't see the ball over the crest of the hill. Start hearing some shouting from the edge of the 16th, kinda looking around to see what's up, then I get to the crest of the hill, and see what they're yelling about... a crow decided my ball was an egg... it was trying to pick it up in it's beak, but pushed it back ~15yds :lol:. As i was getting close to it, it finally got it in it's beak, and started hopping further back! Finally fumbled it just around the cart path for a total loss of about 25yds, then it just hopped off to the side, turned around and stared me down like I'm the a-hole. I mean, I would have been cool with it if, it had carried it to the green, but damn, never thought I'd see that happen. Wish I had taken a video of it, but was in a flabbergasted state of "wtf is actually happening here?".

Happy golfing everyone!

It's times like that where I find my #1 wood comes in handy:

Spoiler

The Trench Club | Big Stick Combat Blog

• Haha 3

• 1 month later...

Went golfing alone for my first time today.

At the beginning I thought I was going to set a course record for worse round ever played.  Towards the end I was putting for Par almost every hole.  That's pretty good for considering this is my first summer going all the time.

Golfed 18 today.

Got 2 pars, one on a par 3, and another on a par 5.  My drives are becoming consistent, and I'm starting to 2 putt more and more.  It's fun seeing some progress.  I feel like I'm not too far away from a birdie.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Played Olympic View near Victoria last week. Gonna play Fairwinds here in Nanoose next week.

I finally broke 100 last year and hope to do so again a few times this year. Gotta focus more on the short game.

Edited by bishopshodan

I've never shot sub 90. So I was having a decent day at Langara.. no triple bogeys, strung a few pars together, had a birdie, the rest was a mix of bogeys and the odd double. Get to hole 17... fairway bunker, out, greenside bunker x2 --> deep s*** off of the green, take a drop, chip on, 2 putt for a score of 9 on a par 4... finished with a double bogey on 18. I could have double bogeyed 17 and still broke 90 for the first time. Kind of rattle but also pretty pumped that i can shoot 9 on a hole and still hit 92.

1 hour ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

I've never shot sub 90. So I was having a decent day at Langara.. no triple bogeys, strung a few pars together, had a birdie, the rest was a mix of bogeys and the odd double. Get to hole 17... fairway bunker, out, greenside bunker x2 --> deep s*** off of the green, take a drop, chip on, 2 putt for a score of 9 on a par 4... finished with a double bogey on 18. I could have double bogeyed 17 and still broke 90 for the first time. Kind of rattle but also pretty pumped that i can shoot 9 on a hole and still hit 92.

Nice work. Langara is where I broke 100. I like that course.

That's tough shooting a 9 on a par 4. I did that on the first hole at Olympic View last week. I had a good round but it was hard to start that way. 

Went golfing with the old man yesterday.  Gave me a tip for my swing, right after words I hit 3 great drives in a row.  Now I have to work on not hooking the ball left, I feel like my angle of attack is off and I hit the ball left 30% when I'm on the fairway.

First covid mask round today, not fun but glad to be on course. Masks became compulsory down here in Melbourne on Wednesday. Will try surgical style tomorrow for 9, industrial type uncomfortable after 4hrs.

1 hour ago, soda said:

First covid mask round today, not fun but glad to be on course. Masks became compulsory down here in Melbourne on Wednesday. Will try surgical style tomorrow for 9, industrial type uncomfortable after 4hrs.

That must not be fun in the Australian heat