The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Adam Polasek | D

b3.

88 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm suprised at this assesment. I think he did really well. He broke up 2 2 on 1 opportunities with his stick, played the body and did a really good job positionally. He made some mistakes as well but horrible break out passes?? Maybe in the middle of the second period but I think that was do to lack of confidence on our entire teams part after a couple of bad goals then anything. It wasn't a perfect night, but it wasn't as bad as your assesment is saying. Truthfully if we look at the evening objectively I think the only defender we can say what the heck were they doing was Corrado. Even Hannay was decent enough until the second period break down.

mayhaps I might have been speaking a bit in hyperbole, but the only times I really noticed polasek was "the punch" and when he was flubbing the puck. I liked hanny's play for the most part, and he had a good little scrap. I might have chnnelled all my rage of the loss into polasek's performance because it stuck out the most at the worst time... who knows. but I'm not going to form opinions of players from just 1 game (or even at the end of the tourney) so it's all water under the bridge, hopefully all the rust has been shaken off, and the kids come out flying tonight.

mayhaps I might have been speaking a bit in hyperbole, but the only times I really noticed polasek was "the punch" and when he was flubbing the puck. I liked hanny's play for the most part, and he had a good little scrap. I might have chnnelled all my rage of the loss into polasek's performance because it stuck out the most at the worst time... who knows. but I'm not going to form opinions of players from just 1 game (or even at the end of the tourney) so it's all water under the bridge, hopefully all the rust has been shaken off, and the kids come out flying tonight.

Amen to that! Let's hope for better tonight!

Polasek puts himself in contention for main camp invite

PENTICTON — Adam Polasek got more buzz from the thunderous punch he delivered three days ago, but the big Czech defenceman put himself in the mix to get an ­invitation to Canucks main camp here on ­Wednesday with an impressive display of hockey skills.Polasek put the Canucks prospects ahead to stay with a heavy shot from the point during a second period ­power play and then sent Anton Rodin in alone with superb long pass for the insurance goal in the third, as ­Vancouver downed San Jose’s ­prospects 5-3 at the Young Stars ­tournament.

Although Polasek, who’s big and strong at 6-foot-3 and 207 pounds, got a lot of attention for his punch that knocked Edmonton’s Colten Teubert out the game and the tournament with a broken nose, he was minus-3 in that scrambly game.He was much happier to showcase his hockey skills against the Sharks.

“It was much, much better,” said Polasek. “This one was ­closer to my game, what I think I can play.”

Polasek was plus-2 along with his two points and was very poised with the puck and physical when he had to be.

“I loved his decision-making with the puck and just the way he passes the puck, the crispness,” said Canucks minor league coach Craig MacTavish. “They’re easy for the forwards. He won a lot of battles, too. He played very well.”

Polasek found it amusing that fans were thinking the Canucks had found a new enforcer. He’s had two fights in each of his two years with the PEI Rocket of the Quebec League. Dropping the gloves is usually not part of his game.

“I laughed when I read on the website that I’m the next tough guy,” he said. “That’s too much.”

Polasek is hoping he gets to play a third game tomorrow to further show he deserves a shot at main camp at UBC this weekend.

“I want to finish the tournament well so I would like to play and give myself a chance,” he said.

The game was also a bounce-back effort for goaltender David Honzik, drafted 71st overall by the Canucks in June and who just turned 18 last month. He had a tough day on ­Sunday in his pro debut and fought back from a gift goal early in this one when he misplayed the puck behind his own net. He came back to play a solid game and made a huge stop on Sharks’ Freddie Hamilton on a late first-period power play.

“I think it’s important to go out there and if things don’t go your way and a goals goes in off a turnover, you put it behind you and keep playing,” said Canucks goaltending coach Roland Melanson. “I thought he did that tonight and it’s a step in the right direction. We know he has ability. He has some work to do, but he gave his team a chance to win tonight.”

Honzik finished with 21 saves.

The Canucks rested most of their experienced players here for this game and MacTavish revealed that a similar lineup be iced for Thursday’s final tournament game against Winnipeg. He added that the decisons about who’s moving on to main camp are pretty clear. The list will be announced following Thursday’s game.

Except for Darren Archibald, who scored his ­second goal of the tournament against the Sharks, and looks like a lot to go to main camp, ­consider that the likes of Bill Sweatt, Jordan Schroeder, Nicklas Jensen, Kevin Connauton, Yann Sauve and Sebastian Erixson were scratches to be a strong hint.

© Copyright © The Province

Read more: http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Polasek+puts+himself+contention+main+camp+invite/5404134/story.html#ixzz1Y3g2WCjR

• 5 months later...

progress update on Adam's first pro year:

Season			Team		GP	G	A	PTS	+/-	SOG	PIM	SOG	SOA	SOGW	SO

2011-12 Regular Season	Chicago Wolves	42	1	7	8	9	35	25	0	0	0	0.00

Great +/-, and he's been playing great. even though he's not piling up the points right now he's playing great defensively, and the announcers can't say enough positive things about him when I listen to the Wolves on the radio feed.

• 1 month later...

Maybe a forgotten about prospect, but I liked what i saw this year from Polasek.

For a first year pro, he showed some promise here. I like his size and physical play. There were few D on the Wolves who liked to hit and punish opponents, but Polasek was one of them. He uses his size to box out the front of the net well, along the boards he always used his size to his advantage and was the main reason why he was so effective along the boards. He was +8 to finish the year and its a good reflection on his defensive game. But its not without some flaws in his decision making, which is a bit inconsistent at times.

I think he is a bit under-rated in his offensive skills, he can skate the puck well and moves the puck well, although probably lacks the vision we see with Tanev at times with his passes. And he has a heavy shot.

Anyways, here's a video of his highlights this season. Enjoy.

Guest Dasein

Looks like he is a big guy with good skating and is a heavy hitter with a little bit of tenacity to him.

I'd like to see him improve in the minors the next 2-3 years and maybe see some time on our bottom pairing.

• 2 months later...

Adam Polasek will be a steady D man for the Canucks in the very near future. People underestimate him badly.

From what I hear, he's kind of a mean, physical defenseman too. He's very much a darkhorse as a bottom pairing D for the Canucks in the near future, seeing as how the Canucks badly need a mean, yet steady defensive presence. The problem is, I don't see an opening on the blueline any time soon. Edler will be re-signed long term and Tanev has locked himself up as a regular, I think. The only spot I can see opening up is Ballard's if he is dealt.

• 5 months later...

I like Polasek. A lot of the attention has been turned to the likes of Corrado and Tanev, and even Connauton, lately in terms of D prospects but I think Polasek brings an element of mean-ness that none of those guys have. Now, I can't say I've seen that first hand. It's just what I've heard and seen in some highlights and such.

I like Polasek. A lot of the attention has been turned to the likes of Corrado and Tanev, and even Connauton, lately in terms of D prospects but I think Polasek brings an element of mean-ness that none of those guys have. Now, I can't say I've seen that first hand. It's just what I've heard and seen in some highlights and such.

I was very high on Polasek until he got sent down to the K-Wings. Even on the K-Wings he struggled a bit offensive with 4 goals, 4 assists in 34 games. I anticipated at least .5ppg in the ECHL after putting up 41 in 68 as a rookie in the Q. Either way he has great size and tenacity, along with a decent skill set. Hopefully he can work his way up the lineup as he would make a good 7th Dman down the road.

• 2 months later...

I stated some time ago that Polasek had over taken Sauve. He's big, he plays big, he can skate and he can add a few points. Thankfully he has a further year on his contract giving him more time to show his worth. I can see him as a 7-8 D on this club in the future and then go from there

Archived