The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Adam Polasek | D

b3.

88 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Anybody know if the Canucks still own his rights? He led the Czech league in scoring for D men last year and looks to be picking up where he left off. Polasek was the one that bailed on the contract

I think the attitude is that if he doesn't want to be a Canuck, we don't want him either. We've got his and Rodin's rights but no way either is coming back.

• 11 months later...

So I know this is a crazy bump but has anyone else been watching Adam Polasek's start this season in the KHL?

He's up to 11 points (1G 10A) in 12 GP now. I kept expecting him to fall off his early pace but he just keeps putting up points. 

And this is coming after two strong years with Sparta Praha as one of the Czech league's top defensemen.

But scoring nearly a point per game in the KHL is taking things to a whole other level. He's 25 now and should be right around entering his prime. If he keeps this up, I wouldn't be surprised if some NHL teams will start sniffing around.

Unfortunately, I don't believe we hold his rights anymore (mutual contract termination after unconditional waivers). 

It's a shame though. Always liked this kid and felt like he might have become a good player for us if we'd just stuck with him. Maybe another casualty of those Chicago Wolves years where it seemed like our prospects rarely got proper development opportunities.

At least we kept Rödin's rights.

I'll never forget Polasek's TKO of Colton Teubert at the 2011 Young Stars. One of my favourite moments in the history of that tournament:

45 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

So I know this is a crazy bump but has anyone else been watching Adam Polasek's start this season in the KHL?

He's up to 11 points (1G 10A) in 12 GP now. I kept expecting him to fall off his early pace but he just keeps putting up points. 

And this is coming after two strong years with Sparta Praha as one of the Czech league's top defensemen.

But scoring nearly a point per game in the KHL is taking things to a whole other level. He's 25 now and should be right around entering his prime. If he keeps this up, I wouldn't be surprised if some NHL teams will start sniffing around.

Unfortunately, I don't believe we hold his rights anymore (mutual contract termination after unconditional waivers). 

It's a shame though. Always liked this kid and felt like he might have become a good player for us if we'd just stuck with him. Maybe another casualty of those Chicago Wolves years where it seemed like our prospects rarely got proper development opportunities.

I'll never forget Polasek's TKO of Colton Teubert at the 2011 Young Stars. One of my favourite moments in the history of that tournament:

Wow... another Canuck 5th round D selection too. I thought this guy had the potential to be a Bieksa-lite back in the day. Definitely hope to keep an eye out for him and maybe even try to convince him to come back if he continues his strong play. 

7 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Thanks Sid. I honestly wonder if MacT was confused about who he should be cheering for in that fight.

54 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Thanks Sid. I honestly wonder if MacT was confused about who he should be cheering for in that fight.

:lol: That look on his face was pretty priceless. Probably was more of a WTF from MacT as Teubert was considered a pretty tough, mean guy (500 PIM in junior and a couple dozen recorded fights) while Polasek was dropping the gloves for maybe the fifth time in his career. That scrap definitely didn't go as expected based on the matchup. But Polasek is naturally tough and very strong. Fought a few times in the AHL and ECHL and while he didn't always win, he always held his own (even against enforcers), and his strength was very evident in the grappling aspect of most his tilts.

Unfortunately, I think Polasek's size, strength, and toughness led to him being miscast as a physical, stay at home type when he had a ton of offensive upside to offer. Just didn't seem to get the opportunity to play that kind of game, and  he probably didn't see his career going where he wanted in North America (especially when he got sent to the ECHL so that inferior players could stick around the AHL).

Didn't take him long to become a primary offensive defenseman and power play regular in the Euro pro leagues (while still also bringing good two-way play and a physical presence). And now it's looking like he's taking his offensive game to even greater heights (putting up sparkling stats in what's arguably the world's second best pro league).

7 hours ago, suitup said:

Wow... another Canuck 5th round D selection too. I thought this guy had the potential to be a Bieksa-lite back in the day. Definitely hope to keep an eye out for him and maybe even try to convince him to come back if he continues his strong play. 

Yes I wondered what became of him

we could use his game today . Looks like he has pretty decent offensive numbers to go with his grit an abrasive play

To be honest Polacek was a player I watched and looked out for. To me he was just what the Doctor ordered and really surprised when he was released to play in Europe. I'm not sure if Vcr still hold his rights. The kid could do every thing and incrediably strong. Read the game well but never really given a shot. Seems to me  a lot of probelms with the Wolves/Canucks. So few prospects getting quality ice time

I thought he wasn't too bad. His last stretch with the Wolves he had 8 points and +8 in 24 games but wasn't really given any opportunity. His offensive numbers in the Czech league were pretty good as well - I could see him signing a contract in the NHL for next season if he keeps up his current pace. 

• 6 months later...

Polasek had "real good" season in KHL.

Best d-man on low scoring team with 28pts( 6+22) Next best d-man on team with 12 pts.

Also continued his good scoring on national team.

Might make Rödin like one more try in NA if some team is ready to take the flyer.

16 minutes ago, DallasDrake said:

Polasek had "real good" season in KHL.

Best d-man on low scoring team with 28pts( 6+22) Next best d-man on team with 12 pts.

Also continued his good scoring on national team.

Might make Rödin like one more try in NA if some team is ready to take the flyer.

No clue how good he is now but if he has the sandpaper some here are talking about and can skate, may be worth the effort to try and bring him back

25 yrs old

6'3 207

Right Handed Shot

Could be a good #6/7/8 if he can play at this level - from his picture he looks like a big guy

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=122668

On 26/06/2010 at 4:45 PM, Sanford said:

Sigh... disappointing draft for me.

The fact that Bieksa is still breathing in a Canucks uniform disgusts me. I would take a 7th rounder...

Please make it happen.

And Bieksa sent us to the finals the following season. Gotta love Bieksa!

Archived