The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alex Friesen | C

b3.

131 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I really hope MG thinks this kid can go pro in a year or this is a useless pick.

Cody Hodgson didn't go pro in a year, was he a useless pick? How about Ryan Kesler? Mason Raymond? You do know that players drafted in the later rounds are typically drafted with the expectation that they won't go pro in a year, right?

A little more info on Friesen on the icedogs site

Alex served as an assistant captain this past season with the IceDogs, and he has the ability to make the players around him better.

He was called upon last year to improve his offensive game and become an active contributor both on and off the ice, and he has surely filled that role. Alex notched 23 goals and 37 assists, almost doubling his 2008-09 totals of 11 goals and 22 assists.

Friesen plays an aggressive game. Although he is not the biggest player on the ice, he has the ability to lay massive hits, work well along the boards, and use his speed to allow himself to be in the right place at the right time. Alex was also used by the IceDogs on both the power play and penalty kill, and has proven he has evolved into a great two-way player.

Alex has always been active within the community for the IceDogs both during the season and in the off season, and would be a great addition to any team.

Good kid, I really like this pick and hope he excels at the pro level.

The most clutch goal scorer in the entire OHL is Alex Friesen of the Niagara IceDogs. The 19-year-old center is in his third season with the IceDogs and currently sits 58th among OHL points leaders with 16 goals and 43 points. The 5’10” 189lbs, native of Niagara-on-the-Lake went undrafted in his first year of NHL availability. Teams may have to consider a late round flyer on this kid when they see a full 25 percent of Friesen’s goals are considered clutch.

http://www.openicehockey.com/index.php/archives/2415

First comparison I thought of when I took a look at the info on this guy was Matt Cooke.

Similar style players. Not the most talented offensively, but they'll come up with a goal when you need it most. This guy also loves to play an energy game and lay down the thundering hits.

If we've got another Cooker on our hands, I would be very happy.

First comparison I thought of when I took a look at the info on this guy was Matt Cooke.

Similar style players. Not the most talented offensively, but they'll come up with a goal when you need it most. This guy also loves to play an energy game and lay down the thundering hits.

If we've got another Cooker on our hands, I would be very happy.

A Matt Cooke that will drop the gloves...

Cooke so many times reminded me of a little rat that would nail guys but then run away like a little baby

Friesen will back up his actions and I think could be more of a POOR MAN'S MIKE RICHARDS with maybe little less offense but great leadership skills and a team first demeanor

Cody Hodgson didn't go pro in a year, was he a useless pick? How about Ryan Kesler? Mason Raymond? You do know that players drafted in the later rounds are typically drafted with the expectation that they won't go pro in a year, right?

Because if he doesnt find a pro team to play for at the end of next year, he could be out of hockey.

There's no organizational need for a smaller version of Rick Rypien.

The next Rypien?? Burrows?? St. Louis???? Only time will tell, but the fact that he needs to have an OUTSTANDING year in 10/11 just to have a chance of staying in JR doesnt bode well for his future.

However, I would be elated to be proven wrong.

<br />A Matt Cooke that will drop the gloves...<br /><br />Cooke so many times reminded me of a little rat that would nail guys but then run away like a little baby<br /><br />Friesen will back up his actions and I think could be more of a <b>POOR MAN'S MIKE RICHARDS</b> with maybe little less offense but great leadership skills and a team first demeanor<br />

I'm sure Cooke fought in junior too.

It's a little different in the NHL though. When you hit a guy with a big hit, you usually have to answer to the other teams enforcer, who's alot bigger than you. We'll see if this guy still backs himself up at the NHL level.

And as far as being a Mike Richards type player, physically maybe, but I wouldn't expect him to be much of a factor offensively. If he's a clutch goal scorer like his profile says, then I'm fine with that.

Canucks 3rd pick: No. 172 overall, Niagara IceDogs of the OHL in 2009-10.

Vancouver scouts project him to be a tough, third-line centre down the road in the NHL.

He was was given the "Heart of the Team" award last season.

"He's a very hard-nosed player, really good on faceoffs," Gillis said. "He scored in the top-three in our psychological and intelligence testing.

"He's not a big guy, at 5-foot-10, but he's a very, very competitive player. Hard nosed, good skills, cans score goals."

http://communities.c...raft-picks.aspx

He was also named as the hardest working player in the Eastern Conference (as voted by OHL coaches)

I'm sure Cooke fought in junior too.

It's a little different in the NHL though. When you hit a guy with a big hit, you usually have to answer to the other teams enforcer, who's alot bigger than you. We'll see if this guy still backs himself up at the NHL level.

And as far as being a Mike Richards type player, physically maybe, but I wouldn't expect him to be much of a factor offensively. If he's a clutch goal scorer like his profile says, then I'm fine with that.

I should have elaborated a little more...

Mike Richards type player in the sense that he is not a huge guy but will hit anything that moves and will back it up even if he could get his arse handed to him, a team first guy that does what it takes to win, good leader, handles himself well, plays his best when it matters and these are all qualities that Richards has...

Thus the Richards comparison minus the offense, but could see Alex being a guy that puts up 30-40 points in his prime

He was picked over 100 spots back from where Richards was in a less deep draft year so obviously he isn't going to have the same upside, but has some good qualities in common

EDIT::::

And if he turns out to be an Ian Laperriere great! I would take him any day of the week over that little gutless rat Matt Cooke, at least Ian backs up his actions and so will Friesen

If you are familiar with Derek Dorsett on Columbus, I compare him to Friesen but Alex with more skill and less tendency to fight every night...but good do whatever you can to win leaders, which has Alex still projecting to be a good third liner that could push into the top six in his prime like Burrows has

Every team needs role players like that,especially when they can contribute some offence as well.Could be a better version of Rypien,not as good a fighter but much more skilled and could be used on the PK and on a checking line.Good use of a late round pick to grab this guy,he sounds like he could be a good player even if it takes him awhile to develop in the AHL.

Alex is SO clutch. Any regular Icedog watchers on this forum? They'll vouch.

He's like a combination of Rypien and Burrows, a small pitbull with some offensive instincts. He'll most likely never be a 35 goal scorer, but if he reaches his potential, he could put play 4th line and possibly top out as 10-12 goal third liner.

Archived