The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jordan Schroeder will make team before Cody Hodgson

Tambo

When Mike Gillis was talking to the media about asking Manny Malhotra if he'd consider playing wing with a young centre, what a lot of you seem to assume is that he's talking about Cody Hodgson, ...and so Cody's penciled in on the 3rd line on all your little 'potential line-up' threads and sigs. But look at the facts, people. Cody Hodgson, who I absolutely love btw, is not NHL ready right now. Sorry, but he just isn't. Unless he has a STELLAR training camp, and shows that him and his back can not only produce offensively and defensively at the NHL level, (which is what you're all asking him to do as the 3rd line Centre), but he also has to be able to show he can skate with NHL pros, as well as handle NHL defensemen laying casual beatdowns on the small of his back. If he does that throughout the preseason, then he'll make the team. But that's a big 'if' with Hodgson right now, 'cause we just don't know. 'Cause last year's camp really showed that he doesn't have NHL wheels yet, and that if his back is going to slow him down even more, he becomes completely ineffective. Not only that, he hasn't really even shown much at the AHL level yet either, so I think he's going to have to prove himself with the Moose to start out.

Which brings me to Jordan Schroeder. This kid is the epitome of what the new NHL is all about. Speed kills. He not only has the skill-set to play at the NHL level, he's got a great winning/leadership petigree from his USA WJ performances(top goal scorer all-time), and he's shown that the AHL was a relatively easy learning process for him. He was dangerous whenever he touched the puck as a member of the Moose, he showed he could score, and be a smart, quick and darty centre-man who could find his linemates, and all at a high speed. He came in and got 9 points in the last 11 Moose games and then got 6 in 6 in the Playoffs. He got his feet wet playing against pros, and his speed killed at times, and that's what can transfer to the NHL in a hurry). Just watch, Schroeder is going to surprise a lot of you by taking that 3rd line centre job, and lemme tell ya, Mike Gillis knows it too.

im not convinced Cody is ready either...is Schroeder??? no idea, but he has impressed here on the moose.....

its going to be interesting to see....

and dont forget, Shirokov was an ahl all star.... and has the most pro experience by a long shot....

we will see

Really, we don't know the conditioning that Hodgson is in right now. A year of rehabbing his back, and a summer of intensive fitness training can do wonders. I'd love either of them on the team personally, but I don't think it's fair to disregard Hodgson like that. What evidence do you have that his back is in such bad shape? Sure it was a tough injury but it was quite a while ago.

My money is on Shirokov being the surprise at camp, since few expect him to shine in the same light as Hodgson or Schroeder.

In regards to Coho and Schroeder, I think they'll both be ready by the end of next season (just in time for Stanley), and as Grabner/Shirokov's performance proved last year, better in camp does not equal better in general. Whoever has the better camp between Hodgson and Schroeder will get the job, that doesn't mean the better or more ready player will get the job (Shiro got a callup since he looked more ready during camp, but Grabner was clearly the more ready player).

Competition in camp means that sometimes the guy who does more work will make it, this doesn't mean that same player will be more successful or be the harder worker during the season (lookup Demitra as a player who can up his game when he feels like it). Although you can make the argument that the competition puts players in a playoff type atmosphere, in other words, lets see what they can do when everyone is pushing hard.

Its hard to say who will win the 3rd line centre job, but it may not be the better player who takes it, its all about who has a good camp.

Hodgson lacks speed, But he's the total package does everything well. The Sedins don't have that footspeed. But they still get the job done. He needs to work on his skating.

Other then that ya he needs more time. Schroeder is quick and has the skill to make it next year. Only time will tell hope, They both turn out like studs though.

I hope Schroeder makes the team actually. In a sense it would make way more sense!!! HODGSON could go ot the Moose to traiN! could come up for an injury if it occurs. But Schroeder is for sure more of a benefit to our team. I actually could see him playing with Kesler and Raymond on the RW in a couple of games, if not on a regular basis. THat would be like the speed line we saw before. and Kesler, he makes players improve, and he would be a great young roll model for Schroeder, especially that they're both American, picked 22nd overall, and loved Minny when they were younger. lol. I find Hodgson's passion is a bit gone, he expects to make the lineup, but as every person in hockey tells ya: you have to earn your spot first, we'll see what happens when the time comes.

All good points to consider, but there is no point pretending we know who is going to show up during camp, and really earn a spot. Both players are hardworkers with tons of skill and potential and I'd be happy to see either of them make the team, or both, which is now possible with the signing of malholtra.

Can't wait to see how things turn out. :towel:

To be fair to Hodgson's back, a third line NHL role might be a better fit than a 1st line AHL role. In the NHL he would have less minutes (could even start as the 4th line centre), and would be playing against the other team's top 6 forwards, essentially he should be the one doing the checking. In the AHL, he would be the target, as a top forward he would pickup the other team's shutdown matchup, and would have to play against their biggest, meanest, toughest, hardest hitting players every night, and while playing top minutes.

I'm just thinking, who got hit more last season, Kyle Wellwood or Marco Rosa?

Great first post! I agree. The fact that Jordan's transfer to the pro game went so smoothly will have him with the slight edge. Although Cody may be better than Jordan, Jordan seems like a faster learner and he seems more adaptive.

When Mike Gillis was talking to the media about asking Manny Malhotra if he'd consider playing wing with a young centre, what a lot of you seem to assume is that he's talking about Cody Hodgson, ...and so Cody's penciled in on the 3rd line on all your little 'potential line-up' threads and sigs. But look at the facts, people. Cody Hodgson, who I absolutely love btw, is not NHL ready right now. Sorry, but he just isn't. Unless he has a STELLAR training camp, and shows that him and his back can not only produce offensively and defensively at the NHL level, (which is what you're all asking him to do as the 3rd line Centre), but he also has to be able to show he can skate with NHL pros, as well as handle NHL defensemen laying casual beatdowns on the small of his back. If he does that throughout the preseason, then he'll make the team. But that's a big 'if' with Hodgson right now, 'cause we just don't know. 'Cause last year's camp really showed that he doesn't have NHL wheels yet, and that if his back is going to slow him down even more, he becomes completely ineffective. Not only that, he hasn't really even shown much at the AHL level yet either, so I think he's going to have to prove himself with the Moose to start out.

Which brings me to Jordan Schroeder. This kid is the epitome of what the new NHL is all about. Speed kills. He not only has the skill-set to play at the NHL level, he's got a great winning/leadership petigree from his USA WJ performances(top goal scorer all-time), and he's shown that the AHL was a relatively easy learning process for him. He was dangerous whenever he touched the puck as a member of the Moose, he showed he could score, and be a smart, quick and darty centre-man who could find his linemates, and all at a high speed. He came in and got 9 points in the last 11 Moose games and then got 6 in 6 in the Playoffs. He got his feet wet playing against pros, and his speed killed at times, and that's what can transfer to the NHL in a hurry). Just watch, Schroeder is going to surprise a lot of you by taking that 3rd line centre job, and lemme tell ya, Mike Gillis knows it too.

Ahh teenage pundits stating what appear to be obvious points at the time. If you ask Mike Gillis which one or will both make the team he will give you a honest answer - I don't know.

If you go on what happened last year any idiot can state what was just posted, but that was last year.

Archived