The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jordan Schroeder will make team before Cody Hodgson

Tambo

As far as MENTAL experience goes, I also disagree. Cody Hodgson has played in a Manitoba jersey before, including playoffs. Both have one WJC gold medal. Assuming Hodgson has developed properly in the O, there's absolutely no reason he shouldn't be the better player.

Hodgson also has a significant size advantage over Schroeder. I'm not sure if you can call it a disadvantage on Schroeder's part, but he is still a kid, and I doubt his frame has fully developed yet. If you look at it like that, he DEFINITELY has some catching up to do.

Ahh teenage pundits stating what appear to be obvious points at the time. If you ask Mike Gillis which one or will both make the team he will give you a honest answer - I don't know.

If you go on what happened last year any idiot can state what was just posted, but that was last year.

When Mike Gillis was talking to the media about asking Manny Malhotra if he'd consider playing wing with a young centre, what a lot of you seem to assume is that he's talking about Cody Hodgson, ...and so Cody's penciled in on the 3rd line on all your little 'potential line-up' threads and sigs. But look at the facts, people. Cody Hodgson, who I absolutely love btw, is not NHL ready right now. Sorry, but he just isn't. Unless he has a STELLAR training camp, and shows that him and his back can not only produce offensively and defensively at the NHL level, (which is what you're all asking him to do as the 3rd line Centre), but he also has to be able to show he can skate with NHL pros, as well as handle NHL defensemen laying casual beatdowns on the small of his back. If he does that throughout the preseason, then he'll make the team. But that's a big 'if' with Hodgson right now, 'cause we just don't know. 'Cause last year's camp really showed that he doesn't have NHL wheels yet, and that if his back is going to slow him down even more, he becomes completely ineffective. Not only that, he hasn't really even shown much at the AHL level yet either, so I think he's going to have to prove himself with the Moose to start out.

Which brings me to Jordan Schroeder. This kid is the epitome of what the new NHL is all about. Speed kills. He not only has the skill-set to play at the NHL level, he's got a great winning/leadership petigree from his USA WJ performances(top goal scorer all-time), and he's shown that the AHL was a relatively easy learning process for him. He was dangerous whenever he touched the puck as a member of the Moose, he showed he could score, and be a smart, quick and darty centre-man who could find his linemates, and all at a high speed. He came in and got 9 points in the last 11 Moose games and then got 6 in 6 in the Playoffs. He got his feet wet playing against pros, and his speed killed at times, and that's what can transfer to the NHL in a hurry). Just watch, Schroeder is going to surprise a lot of you by taking that 3rd line centre job, and lemme tell ya, Mike Gillis knows it too.

Half your facts about Schroeder are a little flawed. He's the number 1 in points in the WJC because he had a full tourny on anyone close to his totals. One could say he put up good points with the moose cause A they were a really weak team this year and he got more minutes and pp time and B he was alot fresher then hodgson was at the same time the year he played for the moose. Cody is by far superior in the 2 way game he was number 1 pp and Cody hadn't even played a game all season and they were holding his spot on the WJC team why u ask because he is that good. But going a little off topic here but neither Hodgson or Schroeder have a leg up on anyone it will go to the best center at camp minus kesler and henrik.

I love how you're perfectly willing to say Hodgson isn't ready based on LAST year's camp... and the injury. Did it ever occur to you that he performed so poorly at last year's camp BECAUSE of the injury?

This guy was among the last cut two seasons ago, and remember was called up to play with the Moose during the playoffs, where he was a good contributor and showed he could elevate his game.

What I expect to see at this camp is THAT Cody Hodgson, only more mature, more conditioned, and thus more NHL-ready.

I'm all for Jordan Shroeder making it. I think he probably will. But I'm pretty sure Hodgson will make it at least a few seconds before Hodgson, because his name comes first alphabetically and thus would be called before Shroeder's.

I think the OP forgot that Hodgson also won a WJHC, while leading the tourney in points- in which he outsocred Schroeder. Hodgson was also a big part of Manitoba's run to the Calder Cup Finals last season. Hodgson has more leadership and more experience, but Schroeder does have the better skating ability and the health to make it over CoHo.

When Mike Gillis was talking to the media about asking Manny Malhotra if he'd consider playing wing with a young centre, what a lot of you seem to assume is that he's talking about Cody Hodgson, ...and so Cody's penciled in on the 3rd line on all your little 'potential line-up' threads and sigs. But look at the facts, people. Cody Hodgson, who I absolutely love btw, is not NHL ready right now. Sorry, but he just isn't. Unless he has a STELLAR training camp, and shows that him and his back can not only produce offensively and defensively at the NHL level, (which is what you're all asking him to do as the 3rd line Centre), but he also has to be able to show he can skate with NHL pros, as well as handle NHL defensemen laying casual beatdowns on the small of his back. If he does that throughout the preseason, then he'll make the team. But that's a big 'if' with Hodgson right now, 'cause we just don't know. 'Cause last year's camp really showed that he doesn't have NHL wheels yet, and that if his back is going to slow him down even more, he becomes completely ineffective. Not only that, he hasn't really even shown much at the AHL level yet either, so I think he's going to have to prove himself with the Moose to start out.

Which brings me to Jordan Schroeder. This kid is the epitome of what the new NHL is all about. Speed kills. He not only has the skill-set to play at the NHL level, he's got a great winning/leadership petigree from his USA WJ performances(top goal scorer all-time), and he's shown that the AHL was a relatively easy learning process for him. He was dangerous whenever he touched the puck as a member of the Moose, he showed he could score, and be a smart, quick and darty centre-man who could find his linemates, and all at a high speed. He came in and got 9 points in the last 11 Moose games and then got 6 in 6 in the Playoffs. He got his feet wet playing against pros, and his speed killed at times, and that's what can transfer to the NHL in a hurry). Just watch, Schroeder is going to surprise a lot of you by taking that 3rd line centre job, and lemme tell ya, Mike Gillis knows it too.

Archived