The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jordan Schroeder will make team before Cody Hodgson

Tambo

If both made it it would likely be because there is not enough depth on the present roster. The fact that there is doubt means we are fairly strong and that either one will have to be really good and consistent when the season starts ( hello Shirokov who wasn't there when the real stuff started.) If hodgsen makes it and /or schroeder sticks it will be because they are ready +++ It is a nice situation to have such high rated prospects fighting for a spot.

With Burrows likely out for the first bit of the season, there's no reason both of them couldn't see some NHL time to sort out who is truly the most ready. There will be not only that slot on the 3rd line, but also a slot in the top-6 alongside Raymond-Kesler to be earned, temporarily. Certainly Shirokov would appear to have the leg up on those two in the sense that he's had significantly more pro experience than the other two...combined...but who knows. It's exciting, and it will be fun to see who can really step up and take charge of their opportunity.

I think a lot of people are starting to discount Hodgson because he was injured most of last season...but when he returned to playing...he was once again dominant in the OHL, despite being injured. Schroeder on the other hand, put up a fairly disappointing season in college last year, and although he redeemed himself with what was a very impressive and incredibly exciting professional debut with the Moose...there's no reason that Hodgson wouldn't still be able to outdo Schroeder in camp. Despite the fact that Hodgson appeared soft in camp and preseason last year, hopefully that wasn't a real glimpse of the true Hodgson. He was playing through an injury which sidelined him for nearly an entire season...You all saw what a nagging injury can do to a well established pro like Kesler or Burrows (see: 2010 playoffs). I don't think we've seen the 'real' Cody Hodgson yet. I think Schroeder will be a solid NHLer very soon, but simply by disadvantage of his size, he may not be able to steal a spot away from Hodgson.

That said, i wouldn't be at all shocked to see any combination of 2 of Hodgson/Schroeder/Shirokov make the team out of camp. I would expect that one of those two who make it would be sent down when Burrows returns, barring both of them establishing themselves as solid players in the NHL who can put up points and not be a liability defensively.

And of course, if Gillis isn't finished yet and manages to bring in another big, solid, NHL established winger to play on the 3rd line, who is capable of moving up into the top-6 for stretches, then all bets are off and there may only be that 1 third line spot available at camp.

In any event, i'm going to be watching camp extremely eagerly this year...there are all sorts of possibilities shaping up. It's going to be very exciting!

If Cody is healthy then he has a real shot at beating out not just other prospects but some of the vetrans on the

team. Shirokov and Schroeder are in exactly the same position. I think all three will come to camp really really

hungry for a spot. Gillis has done a really good job of assembling a team. Some really good players are going to

have good training camps and not make the team!

It should also be noted that if you're going to compare Hodgson and Schroeders' brief AHL playoff records...

When Hodgson joined the team, they were a Calder Cup contender, with a lot more scoring depth. When Schroeder joined, they were a team desperately in need of goals and ravaged by injuries and Canucks call-ups. By that token, Schroeder was given a more significant chance to excel offensively, playing top-end PP time, etc. Hodgson was playing as much more of a depth guy, with less talented linemates in general, and still put up at least...*some* points. And the difference in ppg between the two is relatively negligible when you're looking at that ridiculously short of a sample period.

When Mike Gillis was talking to the media about asking Manny Malhotra if he'd consider playing wing with a young centre, what a lot of you seem to assume is that he's talking about Cody Hodgson, ...and so Cody's penciled in on the 3rd line on all your little 'potential line-up' threads and sigs. But look at the facts, people. Cody Hodgson, who I absolutely love btw, is not NHL ready right now. Sorry, but he just isn't. Unless he has a STELLAR training camp, and shows that him and his back can not only produce offensively and defensively at the NHL level, (which is what you're all asking him to do as the 3rd line Centre), but he also has to be able to show he can skate with NHL pros, as well as handle NHL defensemen laying casual beatdowns on the small of his back. If he does that throughout the preseason, then he'll make the team. But that's a big 'if' with Hodgson right now, 'cause we just don't know. 'Cause last year's camp really showed that he doesn't have NHL wheels yet, and that if his back is going to slow him down even more, he becomes completely ineffective. Not only that, he hasn't really even shown much at the AHL level yet either, so I think he's going to have to prove himself with the Moose to start out.

Which brings me to Jordan Schroeder. This kid is the epitome of what the new NHL is all about. Speed kills. He not only has the skill-set to play at the NHL level, he's got a great winning/leadership petigree from his USA WJ performances(top goal scorer all-time), and he's shown that the AHL was a relatively easy learning process for him. He was dangerous whenever he touched the puck as a member of the Moose, he showed he could score, and be a smart, quick and darty centre-man who could find his linemates, and all at a high speed. He came in and got 9 points in the last 11 Moose games and then got 6 in 6 in the Playoffs. He got his feet wet playing against pros, and his speed killed at times, and that's what can transfer to the NHL in a hurry). Just watch, Schroeder is going to surprise a lot of you by taking that 3rd line centre job, and lemme tell ya, Mike Gillis knows it too.

Yup, speed kills ... as proven by Raymond and Grabner in their 1st NHL seasons ...

Oh, wait, they were completely ineffective !

You have to have the skill set and mental capacity for your speed to be an asset.

OP, you're assuming a lot. You're assuming Cody won't be ready to do a job that some people we're so excited to have Kyle Wellwood doing for us last year. Kyle Wellwood. He had 25 points last year and just aquited himself enough to keep his spot in the absence of someone better. It doesn't look like he did enough to win the confidence of Gillis and at least have a chance to compete for his spot again, he's moved on to make room for whoever performs best and gives this team the best chance to win.

You can't say Cody will fail because he didn't quite make it in his first training camp and then couldn't make it the next year after having an injury hold him back. Grabner didn't perform well in any of his training camps but found he could play with the big boys once he adjusted and found a spot that suited him. Cody will have to put his best foot forward as well.

Really, we don't know the conditioning that Hodgson is in right now. A year of rehabbing his back, and a summer of intensive fitness training can do wonders. I'd love either of them on the team personally, but I don't think it's fair to disregard Hodgson like that. What evidence do you have that his back is in such bad shape? Sure it was a tough injury but it was quite a while ago.

No way dude. Speed is great but theres so many guys that just have speed and cant do a thing. Hodgson's talent can make him so effective with natural intincts thatll help him in his first years. Speed and stuff may be the new thing but talent has always been a must. The more the better.

hodgson was supposed to be our blue-chip prospect... besides the back injury, whats put him behind shroeder on the depth chart? 9 points in 11 AHL games? 6 points in 6 AHL playoff games??? how about Hodgson being the only player with more points than tavares in the world juniors?

everyone seems to have forgotten that after his disappointing training camp (in which he was supposedly fairly injured).. the only thing that worries me about him is some negative comments about the canucks medical staff last season, but he was drafted specifically because hes a leader on and off the ice (as well as talented) - i expect to see him in the NHL before schroeder, guys his size need time to develop.. jason krog ripped up the AHL for 110+ points, where is he now?

I expect Schroeder and or Shirokov to make the team this year over Cody Hodgeson mainly because both of them can play wing (Shirokov is a natural winger). I expect Manny Malhotra to centre the 3rd line. He was among the best in faceoff % last year, why make him play wing? Not only that, I would expect coaching and management to feel a little safer with an experienced 3rd line centre and 1 or 2 rookie wingers than a rookie centre and only 1 vet winger.

I came to here just expecting another "i love the canucks but i bash a different player on here everyday" type of thread. But i read what you had to say and actually enjoyed how you didnt throw your favorite teams player under the bus. I've thought many times about both of them making it and lots about just Cody making it. But this was the first time you had me think about JUST Jordan making it. I dont know if i fully agree with that being how it will happen but it is something to definitly ponder. +1 for a good thread buddy!

So I found it very interesting when the Province stated that he was training with Steven Stamkos. Last year Stamkos improved greatly from Gary Roberts's workout program. Increased his speed and strengthened his back. Stamkos stated he would do Gary Roberts program again this summer. So this means Hodgson could improve his speed. Here's good arcticle about Stamkos's training with Roberts. This is why he's not attending Propects camp.

http://espn.go.com/n...erre/id/4986879

excript from article:

Roberts, a former NHL star, got to know Steven Stamkos last season, his last in the league. This past summer, Roberts oversaw Stamkos' offseason workouts north of Toronto, which Stamkos said was huge in helping him achieve his success this season.

"It helped me a lot," Stamkos said. "I learned a lot about what I needed to improve on. There are certain aspects of my game that have improved because of that, and I'll be there again this summer working hard. It definitely gave me that extra jump for this season

When Mike Gillis was talking to the media about asking Manny Malhotra if he'd consider playing wing with a young centre, what a lot of you seem to assume is that he's talking about Cody Hodgson, ...and so Cody's penciled in on the 3rd line on all your little 'potential line-up' threads and sigs. But look at the facts, people. Cody Hodgson, who I absolutely love btw, is not NHL ready right now. Sorry, but he just isn't. Unless he has a STELLAR training camp, and shows that him and his back can not only produce offensively and defensively at the NHL level, (which is what you're all asking him to do as the 3rd line Centre), but he also has to be able to show he can skate with NHL pros, as well as handle NHL defensemen laying casual beatdowns on the small of his back. If he does that throughout the preseason, then he'll make the team. But that's a big 'if' with Hodgson right now, 'cause we just don't know. 'Cause last year's camp really showed that he doesn't have NHL wheels yet, and that if his back is going to slow him down even more, he becomes completely ineffective. Not only that, he hasn't really even shown much at the AHL level yet either, so I think he's going to have to prove himself with the Moose to start out.

Which brings me to Jordan Schroeder. This kid is the epitome of what the new NHL is all about. Speed kills. He not only has the skill-set to play at the NHL level, he's got a great winning/leadership petigree from his USA WJ performances(top goal scorer all-time), and he's shown that the AHL was a relatively easy learning process for him. He was dangerous whenever he touched the puck as a member of the Moose, he showed he could score, and be a smart, quick and darty centre-man who could find his linemates, and all at a high speed. He came in and got 9 points in the last 11 Moose games and then got 6 in 6 in the Playoffs. He got his feet wet playing against pros, and his speed killed at times, and that's what can transfer to the NHL in a hurry). Just watch, Schroeder is going to surprise a lot of you by taking that 3rd line centre job, and lemme tell ya, Mike Gillis knows it too.

Archived