The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What book are you currently reading?

NUCKS4CUP 28

Black and Blue Sari - Kamal Dhillon

Black and Blue Sari is the true story of a South Asian woman’s struggle to survive, while protecting her family, under the brutal physical and emotional abuse forced upon her by her husband. It will resonate deeply for anyone who has dealt with domestic abuse, from the silent sufferers to those who manage to get out alive.

After an arranged marriage into an influential and wealthy family, Kamal finds herself initially captivated by her new husband’s good looks and charm. Once married, the young bride is horrified to find herself with someone who is the antithesis of her expectations. Forced to endure years of her husband’s irrational rage and heavy drinking, Kamal is the victim of endless beatings and physical torture. As happens to many victims of abuse, Kamal finds herself in a state of psychological despair and brainwashing. Eventually, her husband moves Kamal and their children to India where she must live with his unsympathetic family and a new set of rules in a foreign country.

Coming from a culture that has not taken spousal abuse seriously, Kamal was trapped with no support network and no apparent way out. Throughout her ordeal, Kamal’s strength came from her determination to protect her children and her Canadian family - until fate, and her new found Christian faith, finally released her from her situation. This is the story of the painful scars of her marriage, hidden under a black and blue sari...

Today, Kamal is once again living in Vancouver, a free woman. She is dedicated to stopping domestic violence and is a much sought after speaker on the topic. She has been a presenter and trainer for the RCMP, UBC, UBCO, Trinity Western, the Justice Institute as well as high schools, churches, agencies and many men’s and women’s groups. Kamal has also been interviewed on many radio stations in Canada and the US. She has been invited to speak at the World Bank in March 2012 and the IMF in Washington DC in early 2012

Don't think I could handle that, BB.

I watched The Stoning of Soraya M, and it pissed me off for weeks afterward. It's maddening to think that this level of misogyny still exists in the world.

I'm currently reading Ghengis: Lords of the Bow. At least his brutal campaign took place 900 years ago....

Not so. Absolutely despise Twilight........ :sick: This book has redeeming passages......whereas the one and only Twilight book I read had nothing redeeming about at all. Reading anything, GLASSJAW or do you have a critique for Fifty Shades, having read it and all.

Archived