The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Latest RCMP Misadventures - Watching Detainees Engage in Sex?

Wetcoaster

Do they understand they are sworn to uphold the law??

The hits just keep on coming for this disgraced bunch of morons if the reports out of Kamloops (yet again) are accurate. :blink::blink::blink:

Kamloops Mounties, staff watched as HIV-positive woman had sex in cell block: Report

By Yolande Cole and Joseph Ruttle, The ProvinceAugust 28, 2010

Mounties in Kamloops are not responding to media reports that an HIV-positive woman had a sexual encounter with another woman in an RCMP detachment holding cell as four officers and three municipal staffers looked on and did nothing to stop them.

Global News cited an inside source saying seven people at the Kamloops detachment are under investigation by Kamloops RCMP over the Aug. 18 incident involving two people in custody.

According to Global, the two women had an “intimate encounter” in the cell block for as long as an hour. Staff and Mounties watched video of the encounter for up to seven minutes without intervening, alleged the source.

Police confirm one of the two people involved is facing a criminal probe, presumably for allegedly failing to inform a sexual partner of her HIV status.

In a release Friday, RCMP Staff Sgt. Garry Kerr said “criminal and internal code-of-conduct investigations were immediately launched and are focused on the actions and or inactions of four RCMP members and three municipal staff.

“A criminal investigation is also under way that focuses on the actions of one of the two parties in the cells.”

Kerr would not comment on the reports of sexual activity between the two parties in the cell.

“The only thing I can say right now is they’re all under Criminal Code investigation, obviously for criminal offences, and the RCMP members are also under investigation for what we refer to as code of conduct, which is like an internal system,” he said.

“I’m really hopeful that there’s going to be more information forthcoming next week,” he added.

The investigation is being led by both Kamloops RCMP and “E” Division’s serious-crime units, in consultation with “E” Division professional standards.

No disciplinary action has been taken yet, although one officer has been removed from operational duties, said Kerr.

Two of the municipal employees were guards that work in the cell block, and the third was “doing other duties,” said Kerr.

The RCMP detachment has about 12 to 15 temporary holding cells, Kerr said. The two people in custody were being held in the detachment “for a few hours.”

SFU criminologist Rob Gordon said the Kamloops detachment’s recent history is concerning.

Calgary police are currently investigating a police-involved fatal shooting in Kamloops in late July.

“Certainly in the last month there’s been a couple of major events, and that usually amounts to more than simply bad luck, which suggests that there is some sort of structural problem, or supervision problem, or some other difficulty at the Kamloops detachment,” he said. “I have no doubt that RCMP detachment will be looking at that.”

Gordon said if they are true, the allegations of the officer’s actions are serious.

“That violates so many basic rules about the maintenance of order in cell blocks and the oversight of the conduct of not only prisoners but also officers,” he said.

OMG the RCMP ARE a ******* JOKE!!!! My buddies and I were hanging out last night just talking and some RCMP ******* came zooming up to us and started acting all tough. It was really pathetic because they were literally searching for something to bust us on just because we were teenagers. They looked at our cars and asked questions for about 20 min long until they gave my buddy a ticket for an illegal N on his car. The BS part was that the N was only missing a piece from it and the fat RCMP guy fined him for $109 because he wanted to be tough. This was no reason to bully a group of teens that were doing nothing wrong. Screw the RCMP!!!!

Heres a story from a couple of years ago from our local detachment here in Shawnigan Lake... :picard:

He called himself "goodguy4444," but the RCMP doesn't see it that way.

The head of the Mounties in B.C., Deputy Commissioner Gary Bass, is trying to dismiss Const. Trent Richards of the Shawnigan Lake detachment for having sex while on duty and using RCMP equipment -- police cruisers and computers -- to seek out sexual encounters as recently as 2006.

"This is a case that is over the line and warrants dismissal," said RCMP lawyer Tim Nixon, who told a disciplinary hearing this week that Mr. Richards used his position as a police officer to hook up and engage in sex while on the job.

While Mr. Richards, 34, doesn't dispute the RCMP's allegations of his conduct, he is fighting the dismissal.

The disciplinary hearing, which began Monday and continued yesterday at the Bear Mountain resort, heard that Mr. Richards had sex with four different women on 15 or 16 different occasions when he was working. Working alone at night in the small, rural detachment, Mr. Richards visited online dating sites such as plentyoffish.com, flirtbox.com and ratemybody.com to find dates.

In his online dating profile, Mr. Richards, who was engaged at the time, used pseudonyms and a false age and said he worked in Duncan. He identified himself as a good looking, athletic police officer who was interested in having sex with women.

"I have a great, well paying, well respected job," he wrote under the name goodguy4444. "I wouldn't change what I do for the world."

In one posting, Mr. Richards displayed a picture of himself in his red serge RCMP uniform.

In another, he asked, "Up for sex with a hot cop?"

In one e-mail read aloud at the hearing, Mr. Richards wrote: "Anytime I'm working nightshift, I'd be willing to meet you somewhere. I'd be willing to use my cuffs."

He suggested having sex on the hood of the police car. On two occasions, he used the police cruiser with flashing lights to pull over the car of a woman he was interested in.

Mr. Nixon told the three-member disciplinary board that Mr. Richards's conduct is inappropriate, and that he betrayed the public trust and discredited the RCMP.

Mr. Richards's lawyer, Richard Grounds, told the board the sex was consensual and didn't involve alcohol. The women sought him out after seeing his profile, Mr. Grounds said. It also didn't affect Mr. Richards's work, he said. "There was no evidence he wasn't available to answer calls."

The investigation into Mr. Richards's conduct began when a woman thought she might be dealing with a man passing himself off as an officer and contacted the RCMP.

Even though Mr. Richards was notified he was the centre of a code of conduct investigation, he continued to have on-duty sex, a seriously aggravating circumstance, Mr. Nixon said.

On Monday, Mr. Richards's former supervisors, Staff Sgt. Doug Pack and Cpl. Scott Braes, testified they felt betrayed.

"Personally, I was disappointed, surprised and shocked," Cpl. Braes said. "Professionally, I was hurt and somewhat embarrassed, by the fact that I was his immediate supervisor and had no knowledge or even a glint this was ongoing."

In emotional testimony, Mr. Richards's father, Thomas, a retired RCMP officer, called the situation his worst nightmare.

"His mother and I are sadly disappointed, shocked and ashamed of his behaviour," said Thomas Richards, who asked the board to give his son a second chance.

His voice breaking, Thomas Richards said he always brought his son up to be proud of the force. "And I'm very heartbroken, literally and figuratively. I had a heart attack last year."

Mr. Richards himself apologized tearfully to the force, his detachment co-workers and his supervisors "for letting them down." He also apologized to "all the women I've deceived."

Mr. Richards said he was in counselling and wouldn't repeat his actions.

The board has adjourned until 1 p.m. today.

Read more: http://www.nationalpost.com/story.html?id=338824#ixzz0xyzkuKXM

A large part of the problem is that the demand and need for quality people wanting and applying to be RCMP officers is lower than the supply. Therefore, the standard has been lowered in order to fill the need and people who shouldn't be officers are getting in anyways.

Another thing that has always been a problem is that, even though most officers don't fall into this category, the police profession does attract power-hungry people who, once in the profession, get over-inflated senses of self-importance and often consider themselves above the law.

Don't forget the debacle at the airport with the Polish guy and the Pickton disaster where 13 women continued to die needlessly because the RCMP wouldn't do anything (the VPD was even pushing them to act)

I say enough is enough, kick these unaccountable, highly beaureacratic, poorly trained cops out of here. Time to bring in a Regional Police Force to cover the Greater Vancouver/Lower Mainland and a BC Provincial Force to cover the current RCMP detachments in BC. This gives more control to the local communities and better accountability

Don't forget the debacle at the airport with the Polish guy and the Pickton disaster where 13 women continued to die needlessly because the RCMP wouldn't do anything (the VPD was even pushing them to act)

I say enough is enough, kick these unaccountable, highly beaureacratic, poorly trained cops out of here. Time to bring in a Regional Police Force to cover the Greater Vancouver/Lower Mainland and a BC Provincial Force to cover the current RCMP detachments in BC. This gives more control to the local communities and better accountability

How about this report from BC CTV dated August 16, 2010?

In the latest in a string of allegations against B.C. Mounties, a Kelowna officer has been charged with assault.

RCMP launched both code of conduct and internal investigations in February after an individual said he was assaulted by Const. Christopher Brinnen around closing time near a Kelowna nightclub.

Cpl. Annie Linteau told ctvbc.ca Brinnen will remain on active duty until the investigation is complete. He is due to appear in Kelowna provincial court Sept. 13.

Linteau says 18 British Columbian Mounties are
currently
facing charges for offences dating back to 2007.

In addition to Brinnen, at least four other Mounties in B.C.’s Interior are facing legal and professional woes.

Two Kamloops officers involved in the shooting death of Wilbert Bartley, 50, last month have been placed on administrative duty while Calgary police complete their investigation.

Police say the two plainclothes Mounties fired two shots through the windshield of the SUV Bartley was driving, hitting him at least once.

Calgary investigators are currently reviewing the official statements from the two officers, who have not been charged with any offence.

Meanwhile, another pair of Kamloops officers remain off regular duty while they face separate charges of assault.

Const. Ryan Sheremetta is charged with assault for allegedly punching another man in an off-duty street fight on March 7.

He has been placed on desk duty while an internal police investigation is underway.

Sheremetta had previously been investigated for the 2004 shooting death of burglary suspect Kevin St. Arnaud. The internal RCMP review found that Sheremetta had fired his gun in self-defence.

Fellow Const. Kevin Roy has been charged with two counts of assault relating to separate arrests of male and female suspects. He has been suspended from duty with pay.

Both will make their next appearance on Aug. 26.

http://www.rcmpwatch.com/another-b-c-mountie-charged-with-assault/

Do they understand they are sworn to uphold the law??

The hits just keep on coming for this disgraced bunch of morons if the reports out of Kamloops (yet again) are accurate. :blink::blink::blink:

http://www.theprovin...2235/story.html

Consider this in the light of the 15 RCMP Officers relieved of duty during the Vnacouver Olympics. After trying to bury the story the media forced it into the open using Freedom of Information Requests.

http://www.theglobea...article1629281/

The RCMP is dysfunctional and a national embarrassment - time to get rid of this 19th century anachronism and get educated professionals doing the job.

One can only conclude that the RCMP must be administering IQ tests and hiring as RCMP members those that fail. :blink::shock::shock::blink:

Training is great but it needs to be the correct sort of training not inculcating arrogance as SFU criminologist (and head of the department) and former British police officer, Robert Gordon points out. And this is echoed by one of the best cops ever to serve in the VPD - Douglas McKay-Dunn:

http://www.rcmpwatch...-criminologist/

Here is Rob Gordon's take on the RCMP performance vis a vis the Pickton file:

http://www.thenownew...l#ixzz0y1ahpUWs

The RCMP seems incapable of reform is an organization that should be euthanized and replaced. BC needs a made in BC policing solution.

Archived