The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

University student commits suicide after roommate secretly tapes gay encounter

nitronuts

A very unfortunate followup to the event itself. I don't think the story is being written in a manner where it's news just because Clementi was gay. It's news because it's a growing trend in the United States lately that homosexuals are being targeted because of their lifestyle. Obviously homophobia is nothing new, but previously it didn't lead to so many cases where the individual targeted killed themselves.

Condolences to the family of the deceased, but given that the crime inextricably states that anyone found collecting or viewing sexual images without consent or transmitting them, why should the fact that the person was gay make it as news?

If it happened to a straight person, it would simply be tossed aside for another sensationalist story.

I'm sure the two individuals involved must feel very proud of themselves. While my condolences go out to friends and family of the individual, his choice of taking his own life seems really extreme. He could have spoken with one of his professors, or any other authoritative person at the university. If he had reached out to a family member, or friend, maybe this issue wouldn't have resulted in him taking his own life.

(I know I don't know the complete story, or the background of the student, but taking your own life is never the best option).

• 1 year later...

It seems short but remember that Ravi rejected a deal that would have meant zero jail time if he admitted that he did it out of hatred towards gays. Ravi seems to be trying hard to clear his name when he could have easily taken the deal, returned to his native India and never be heard from again.

What's with people this day in age wanting to post everything online? Putting up gay sex is not going to get you rich.

My friends and I do lots of crap, but we never once think about putting it up on public domain.

Archived