The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

PIJHL

PowerIce

Kendal McArdle and Karl Alzner played for the Sockeyes.

I think what the average Canucks fan (not I didn't chose to use the word Hockey Fan) doesn't realize is that the CHL isn't the only route. There are alot of 16 yearolds that either don't get picked to play in the BCMML (BC Major Midget League) or chose not to. BCMML is still minor hockey and is subject to all the faults of a minor hockey system such as parental interferance (Why isn't Johnny getting PP time? Why isn't David getting as much ice time as Jessie? Blah, blah, blah). Where as junior hockey even at the Junior B level you get ice time based on your play and not how much mommy and daddy bitch at the coach.

Many, MANY Junior B players go onto BCHL, NCAA, WHL, AHL and NHL. Ray Ferraro played in the KIJHL. So did Cody Franson and his younger brother Cain Franson.

Just a fan. I was more pre-scouting for me to have some dirt to use against the Ice Hawk players...But it was a clean, well played game. I might not have any material for tomorrow. Although I saw the Sockeyes coach hanging out by Craig Bonner.

Good game tonight. Ice Hawks won 3-2.

Steelers opened the scoring and I really didn't see how it went in as I was tying my shoe up. A Grandview player was bringing down the RW and passed to the center and then they ended up to the right of the Hawks goalie. After that goal the Ice Hawks took over. Grandview got caught flat footed alot tonight and while Delta was killing a penalty a flubbed dumpout turned into a clear cut shorthanded break but the Steelers goalie came up with a nice blocker save. Delta then took over the play and tied it then drew a penalty and took a 2-1 lead on a shot from just above the right faceoff dot that was tipped with 5 seconds left in the penalty.

2nd period there was no scoring.

3rd saw a scrap in the first half of the period after Delta went up 3-1 on a shot that went bar and in. Didn't catch the names (forgot my pencil to take notes) but the Delta player got in an early shot that stung the Steeler then almost got the jersey up over the head. Win to the Ice Hawk. But the fight seemed to do more for Grandview as they started skating and getting after pucks and getting on the body a bit and it lead to getting the Ice Hawks running around in their own end, D coverage broke down and the Steelers set up a nice tap in passing play. Grandveiw had a beauty chance to tie with about 5mins to go on a breakaway but with the chippy ice the puck bounced and they never got a clean shot off.

#71 for Delta Cody Fidgett sure has a good set of wheels on him. He's 19 and from Richmond. Got an assist tonight

#15 for Delta Mike Simpson is BIG and only 16. He is listed at 6'4" and 200lbs. Protected the puck well and is a pick of the Kootenay Ice.

1 game tonight with the Sockeyes hosting the Ice Hawks. 7:30pm @ Minoru Arena. Sockeyes with a 5 - 2 win in Aldergrove last night.

If the Sockeyes win in regulation tonight they will be 2pts behind Delta for top spot in the conference but will have 3 games in hand on the Ice Hawks. It's early in the season but still a pretty important game.

I'd still say the most exciting game I've seen in person was a PIJHL game. Back in 01 or 02 the Pilots were playing against the Ridge Meadows Flames at the Abbotsford Recreation Centre (with Olympic size ice), which is a 5 minute walk from my house, instead of their usual MSA Arena.

This game was super fast, back and forth, lots of hitting, lots of goals, lots of fights. It had the intensity of the Stanley Cup Finals (and this was in Fall). There was one player on the Flames that me and my buddies were heckling so hard. He had long blonde hair and tucked in the right side of his jersey, we kept calling him "Gretzky," "All star," "hotshot," whatever. 

I've never seen a hockey game with so many fights. I think the game took at least three and a half hours, there were so many. They tossed so many players out of the game that they couldn't toss anymore. No exaggeration, seriously! They were down to the five on the ice and maybe five on the bench, and the fights didn't stop! They kept going and going. They seemed to be trying to kill each other, or die trying. I can't even express how intense this game was. I still remember it so vividly. The crowd was wild!

I was inspired to go see another Pilots game that same season, this time at MSA Arena. I think it was against the Richmond Sockeyes. It was very meh. Kinda boring, actually. Slow, sloppy, subpar. You could tell you were watching rejects from the BCHL. The stands were half-empty, and the biggest reactions were for the intermission entertainment. I've never watched one since.

This thread has inspired me to maybe check out another Pilots game this year. Maybe I can settle which game I saw is closer to normal.

I'd still say the most exciting game I've seen in person was a PIJHL game. Back in 01 or 02 the Pilots were playing against the Ridge Meadows Flames at the Abbotsford Recreation Centre (with Olympic size ice), which is a 5 minute walk from my house, instead of their usual MSA Arena.

This game was super fast, back and forth, lots of hitting, lots of goals, lots of fights. It had the intensity of the Stanley Cup Finals (and this was in Fall). There was one player on the Flames that me and my buddies were heckling so hard. He had long blonde hair and tucked in the right side of his jersey, we kept calling him "Gretzky," "All star," "hotshot," whatever.

I've never seen a hockey game with so many fights. I think the game took at least three and a half hours, there were so many. They tossed so many players out of the game that they couldn't toss anymore. No exaggeration, seriously! They were down to the five on the ice and maybe five on the bench, and the fights didn't stop! They kept going and going. They seemed to be trying to kill each other, or die trying. I can't even express how intense this game was. I still remember it so vividly. The crowd was wild!

I was inspired to go see another Pilots game that same season, this time at MSA Arena. I think it was against the Richmond Sockeyes. It was very meh. Kinda boring, actually. Slow, sloppy, subpar. You could tell you were watching rejects from the BCHL. The stands were half-empty, and the biggest reactions were for the intermission entertainment. I've never watched one since.

This thread has inspired me to maybe check out another Pilots game this year. Maybe I can settle which game I saw is closer to normal.

WHAT A GAME!!!

I thought that the Sockeyes were done for. Sloppy passing, no drive, Nijjer lets in 3 (2 of which he should of had)then gets yanked. Sockeyes get one back but then fall to 4-1 heading into the 3rd.

I don't know what Coach Lambert said in the intermission but I hope he wrote it down.

Sockeyes came out with jump and life and scored one in the first 5 mins. Then you could see Delta was going to just try and choke the life out of the game and hold on. But Richmond pressed some more and got to 4-3. Then with 4mins to go, Delta took the most STUPID penalty. Stick right between the feet of a player trying to go to the front of the net. They are going to call that everytime. On the PP with about 40sec left Sockeyes tie it at 4. They almost won it in regulation but Delta's goalie Douglas Birks makes 2 point blank stops.

Richmond carried the OT period but Birks made 2 more nice saves.

I can't stand shootouts, which is why I like the fact that the KIJHL plays two 5 min OT periods and if still tied they have a tie column in their stats. But Richmond won the shootout to take the 5-4 win.

Other than the Giants home opener, that was the most entertaining game I have seen this season either live or NHL pre-season on TV.

Just out of curiosity, were you at the game or did you watch it online?

WHAT A GAME!!!

I thought that the Sockeyes were done for. Sloppy passing, no drive, Nijjer lets in 3 (2 of which he should of had)then gets yanked. Sockeyes get one back but then fall to 4-1 heading into the 3rd.

I don't know what Coach Lambert said in the intermission but I hope he wrote it down.

Sockeyes came out with jump and life and scored one in the first 5 mins. Then you could see Delta was going to just try and choke the life out of the game and hold on. But Richmond pressed some more and got to 4-3. Then with 4mins to go, Delta took the most STUPID penalty. Stick right between the feet of a player trying to go to the front of the net. They are going to call that everytime. On the PP with about 40sec left Sockeyes tie it at 4. They almost won it in regulation but Delta's goalie Douglas Birks makes 2 point blank stops.

Richmond carried the OT period but Birks made 2 more nice saves.

I can't stand shootouts, which is why I like the fact that the KIJHL plays two 5 min OT periods and if still tied they have a tie column in their stats. But Richmond won the shootout to take the 5-4 win.

Other than the Giants home opener, that was the most entertaining game I have seen this season either live or NHL pre-season on TV.

Interesting game out in Ladner last night. To start with, there were 3 school bus loads of students from Japan visitng Canada coming to their first hockey game.

Ice Hawks would carry the play most of the night in regards of positional and territorial play, but wouldn't even get 30 shots. They would open the scoring. Scramble in front of the net but the Devils put it behind the net. It then pops back out to Harding who goes roof bar and in. Hawks get into penalty trouble though. A legit hooking call followed 90sec later by the weakest slashing call EVER! Proctor tried to slap the puck off a North Delta stick. It was blade on blade not even on the shaft of the stick and the Devils player drops his stick and comes up holding his wrist. Ice Hawks would kill off the first penalty but couldn't kill off slashing call. Enegren didn't have a hope to see the shot with all the traffic.

2nd Period the Hawks would turn it up a little and control the run of the play but still could only muster 8 shots, 2 of which find the back of the net. Merrick with a nice rush, puts a move on the D and dekes the Devils goalie. 3rd goal was a Whiteley shot that Cody Fidgett redirects in front. North Delta would get a beautiful chance towards the end of the period. I didn't catch the number of the player but he gets a feed to send him on a partial break, gets a step on the D, cuts to the middle and gets a shot on and then collects his rebound but Enegren stops that too and covers up.

3rd Period North Delta came out with good jump and for the first 4mins more or less have the Hawks trapped in their own zone and draw a hooking call as a Devil was trying to walk out front with the puck and they convert 19secs into the PP. League leading scorer Nardi was able to get the puck out of a scramble and knock it home. Balance of the period was back and forth. But a scary moment middle of the period. I didn't see who it was, but a North Delta player lost footing and went into the boards, got up but went back down favouring his left arm. The trainer attended to him for a good 5mins on the ice before being helped off. From the way he was holding his arm it looks to me like a broken collar bone or a badly dislocated shoulder. North Delta would pull the goalie with 1min to play and the Ice Hawks would battle it up the left wing boards to the North Delta blue line where Fidgett would loft one into the open net for his 2nd of the night.

First star and rightfully so was Delta's goalie Enegren. 37 saves on 39 shots and at least 5 high quality stops right at the top of the crease.

Archived