The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kevin Bieksa you are really...

Zigmund.Palffy

1: Bolded LITERALLY makes ZERO sense.

2: Are you forgetting that players can PROGRESS and IMPROVE when they are YOUNG, and REGRESS when AGING (especially when rehabbing from major injury)?

So tell me - which player has more POTENTIAL TO IMPROVE between "Bxa" and "Salo"?

Say we trade "BXA", Salo never gets back to form, re-injures himself a week into the playoffs, and we are left with a less than desireable pairing of Alberts/Rome on the 3rd pairing, with literally NOBODY NHL ready to call up besides maybe Parent (Who looked a LOT shakier and less skilled than "BXA" when he played in the NHL this year)?? Then what's the "plan"?

Your problem is that you have no foresight - you're just one of those sad, desperate demi-trolls that is a Canuck homer and a player basher at the same time.. who are you going to start riding if "BXA" is shipped out? And if he isn't - is it MG for not getting rid of him?

I suppose you're one of those guys that HATES AV but doesn't know why other than that "he chews gum"?

Don't be so foolish. Phoentics are your friends. Say.. Ex's and Oh's, now BXa's and O's. The O for outta here.tongue.gif

At the start of the year Bxa's career minus 20 +/- might not even gotten him a job in Europe or the ECHL, I'm confident that from July 1 until July 22 or whatever the date Salo tore his achilles, Bxa was not in the Nuck plans and MG had been actively trying to move him, with no takers, the biggest hang up being his cap hit for his production.

So here we are approaching the half way point of the season and you and a half a doz. other cdcer's feel BXa is a changed man and now worthy of being included in 'the plan'.

I suspect MG is a way smarter than tht and will realize that the previous four frustrating seasons watching BXa's brain farts is the real Bxa, and his soso play of the last 3 months is the aberration. Salo has a terrific record of fast recovery from major injuries. As I've said before a rusty, one nutted Salo on the back end is a better bet to get the Nuck's past the 2nd round than the enigmatic, mistake prone Bxa. Therefore I believe BXa is still not a part of the plan, unless the Nuck's D is hit by the injury bug again.

Otherwise MG will be playing a game of BXa's and 0's. The 0 is for BXa is outahere.

You should re-read all the information that has been provided to you here, and in a few different threads.

-MG has stated in print/1040/CANUCKS TV, that they will find a way to try and keep Juice and Salo.

-Achilles injuries can take awhile to heal proper, so while having Salo back will be just a bonus, i do not expect him to be playing his usual heavy minutes.

-Hate to break it to you, again, as you are a man alone in your ignorance: Bieksa has been playing well. Been doing so since the start of the season.

You should re-read all the information that has been provided to you here, and in a few different threads.

-MG has stated in print/1040/CANUCKS TV, that they will find a way to try and keep Juice and Salo.

-Achilles injuries can take awhile to heal proper, so while having Salo back will be just a bonus, i do not expect him to be playing his usual heavy minutes.

-Hate to break it to you, again, as you are a man alone in your ignorance: Bieksa has been playing well. Been doing so since the start of the season.

We need to quote and re-post this every few days.

At the start of the year Bxa's career minus 20 +/- might not even gotten him a job in Europe or the ECHL, I'm confident that from July 1 until July 22 or whatever the date Salo tore his achilles, Bxa was not in the Nuck plans and MG had been actively trying to move him, with no takers, the biggest hang up being his cap hit for his production.

So here we are approaching the half way point of the season and you and a half a doz. other cdcer's feel BXa is a changed man and now worthy of being included in 'the plan'.

I suspect MG is a way smarter than tht and will realize that the previous four frustrating seasons watching BXa's brain farts is the real Bxa, and his soso play of the last 3 months is the aberration. Salo has a terrific record of fast recovery from major injuries. As I've said before a rusty, one nutted Salo on the back end is a better bet to get the Nuck's past the 2nd round than the enigmatic, mistake prone Bxa. Therefore I believe BXa is still not a part of the plan, unless the Nuck's D is hit by the injury bug again.

Otherwise MG will be playing a game of BXa's and 0's. The 0 is for BXa is outahere.

Please explain in which universe this does not translate into you being proven wrong.

You formed an opinion of a player based on old stats, not taking into account the fact that a large portion of said stats were based on firstly, a young defenseman whose offense was sorely needed by his team and therefore defensive play was secondary, and secondly, a player who twice had to return to playing defense after suffering career threatening injuries.

The rest of your post is pure speculation. More of the same "rhetoric" that you were accusing others of using not long ago.

Finally, whatever MG's intentions re: Bieksa at the start of the season were, it changes not a single thing in regards to all of the hyperbole, misinformation and outright inaccuracies that you have been spouting for the past 300 pages.

You may notice that your compatriots, Wallstreet, hank&dan, Barry_Wilkins et al, have all deserted you like rats on a sinking ship.

I suppose in a way it's noble that you the self-appointed Captain of the HMS BXa_sux have decided to go down with your ship, but should should realize that all of your "bailing" is availing you absolutely nothing.

Have a nice swim.

Yeah, it was the context that was retarded.

Also, it's Phonetics LOL ;)

I love how you totally side-stepped the rest of my post as well.. backpedaling fools tend to do that quite often :D

Well, as far as potential goes, I seriously doubt if either Salo or Bxa are included in the teams plans beyond this season, so potential is irrelevent. Also as I've stated numerous times, the team will be better off keeping the bigger, defensively smarter, smoother skating, better shooting Salo over BXa this season. There actually is a recent poll in one of the Salo/Bxa topics in that 75% of the cdc responders choose Salo over BXa. That said I believe the BXa detractors are the silent majority vs you 6 Bieksa apologists.

Please explain in which universe this does not translate into you being proven wrong.

You formed an opinion of a player based on old stats, not taking into account the fact that a large portion of said stats were based on firstly, a young defenseman whose offense was sorely needed by his team and therefore defensive play was secondary, and secondly, a player who twice had to return to playing defense after suffering career threatening injuries.

The rest of your post is pure speculation. More of the same "rhetoric" that you were accusing others of using not long ago.

Finally, whatever MG's intentions re: Bieksa at the start of the season were, it changes not a single thing in regards to all of the hyperbole, misinformation and outright inaccuracies that you have been spouting for the past 300 pages.

You may notice that your compatriots, Wallstreet, hank&dan, Barry_Wilkins et al, have all deserted you like rats on a sinking ship.

I suppose in a way it's noble that you the self-appointed Captain of the HMS BXa_sux have decided to go down with your ship, but should should realize that all of your "bailing" is availing you absolutely nothing.

Have a nice swim.

:lol:

Have a nice swim.

I'm not proven wrong, Bxa is on the team because Salo is on LTIR. He has stayed on by the skin of his teeth, playing a soso game.

You are basing your opinion of BXa on partial season stats, hardly a credible amount of work to base a multimillion dollar decision on.

BXa even admitted he was being shopped last summer, on that TSN show with lansbury.

Wallstreet, hank&dan, Barry_Wilkins et al, probably have better things to do today than play on a BXa thread.

As far as going down with the ship, we have not yet begun to post, that will happen in earnest once the trade deadline passes and if by some fluke Bxa is still a Nuck.

I'm not proven wrong, Bxa is on the team because Salo is on LTIR. He has stayed on by the skin of his teeth, playing a soso game.

You are basing your opinion of BXa on partial season stats, hardly a credible amount of work to base a multimillion dollar decision on.

BXa even admitted he was being shopped last summer, on that TSN show with lansbury.

Wallstreet, hank&dan, Barry_Wilkins et al, probably have better things to do today than play on a BXa thread.

As far as going down with the ship, we have not yet begun to post, that will happen in earnest once the trade deadline passes and if by some fluke Bxa is still a Nuck.

Wow, talk about someone who doesn't know when to give up. Bieksa didn't admit anything, on a show, where he was asked if he is aware the "you or somebody else has to be traded" and he said "yeah, I mean, I can put two-and-two together."

1) that doesn't equal to him admitting he is being shopped, but rather him knowing someone will be moved

2) Earlier, he stated that "TSN has been drawing blanks about him being traded for three years, and we'll see what happens"

From that I gather he thought that he wasn't being traded, and that the rumors are based on the same thing as all the others about him have been -- speculation --

Let us see what happens when i bump that thread.

Well I wouldn't want to steer you wrong, The topic is about who to move to make room for Salo, initially I was too lazy to look it up but once I did, I realized that due to Salo's NTC, it is a Bieksa - Ehrhoff poll.

here is the link, fill your boots in an attempt to change the 75/25 % ratio. http://forum.canucks.com/topic/292794-bieksa-vs-ehrhoff/page__p__9260664__fromsearch__1#entry9260664

Well I wouldn't want to steer you wrong, The topic is about who to move to make room for Salo, initially I was too lazy to look it up but once I did, I realized that due to Salo's NTC, it is a Bieksa - Ehrhoff poll.

here is the link, fill your boots in an attempt to change the 75/25 % ratio. http://forum.canucks.com/topic/292794-bieksa-vs-ehrhoff/page__p__9260664__fromsearch__1#entry9260664

So what? Ehrhoff is more popular, big deal.

If he didn't play with the Sedins as much as he does, he would have around the same, probably less points then Bieksa. Not to mention Bieksa is playing better defense against the other teams top players.

Kevin Bieksa: B

Vancouver fans' whipping post has done so much to help his trade value, the Canucks likely can't trade him. They need him. He's not getting the points, but he's playing tough, smart hockey and it's been impressive.

Dan Hamhuis: B

With just eight points, it appears he's not going to get the 40 points many people predicted. But he has become a nice shutdown d-man who is more than replacing Willie Mitchell.

Alex Edler: B

The Canucks have long been looking for a No. 1 defenceman. Edler is their best chance. He's not there yet.

Christian Ehrhoff: B+

With six goals now, he can match last season's 14 and again lead the Canucks blueliners in goal scoring. Ehrhoff fits the Canucks attack perfectly which will make him very hard to replace if they don't re-sign him before he becomes a free agent July 1.

Keith Ballard: C

He looks good when he gets the minutes, but the reality he's been a healthy scratch for four games. Even now that he's over all the bad breaks (hip surgery, concussion and the flu), he's still playing sixth man minutes. Not good for a guy making $4.2 million.

Read more: http://www.theprovin...l#ixzz19M0Kk7mN

The link has grades for other players as well, if you're interested. I think Bieksa is doing exactly what he needs to stick with this club, inspite of the blind haters....and it's apparent to most of us knowledgeable fans and to those knowledgeable sports writers.

Improving Bieksa has gone from question mark to exclamation mark for Canucks

They crowded around Kevin Bieksa to hear about his winning goal Sunday. They should have hung around longer and learned of how the Vancouver Canucks defenceman has gone from being a concern to being complemented. And that's a whole new story.

"He's been one of our most consistent players for quite some time now where at the beginning of the year it was one very good game, one good game, etc.," Canucks coach Alain Vigneault said after Bieksa blasted home a point shot with 24 seconds remaining to provide a 3-2 victory over the Edmonton Oilers. "All his games now, he's been very dependable in both ends of the rink and that's the Kevin we know and the Kevin we expect."

Bieksa was expected to be trade bait with the arrival of Keith Ballard and Dan Hamhuis and having an expiring $3.75 million US contract. Then Sami Salo ruptured his Achilles on July 22. And aside from trade rumours, Bieksa has found a way to concentrate on his improving game.

"My confidence is fine, but it's nice to help the team and contribute that way," he said of his third goal of the season and a plus-2 effort against the Oilers in 23:51 of ice time. "Points are one thing, but playing the right way day in and day out is one thing you can really concentrate on."

Suck it CANUCKLELION....lol.

Wrong yet again. Bieksa admitted it may happen but never said Gillis was actively being shopping him. Quite the opposite saying, "you guys have been drawing blanks for three years now with the rumors".

VANCOUVER SUN JULY 13, 2010 — Vancouver Canucks defenceman Kevin Bieksa, speaking publicly for the first time since July 1, conceded Tuesday he knows he's a candidate to be traded away.

“I'm not an idiot,” Bieksa said on TSN's Off the Record program. “I can put two and two together. Anything could happen right now.”

Bieksa was responding to a question from host Michael Landsberg about the Canucks' glut of blueliners. GM Mike Gillis has nine defencemen signed to one-way contracts and Bieksa is the third highest paid — at $3.75 million — after newcomers Dan Hamhuis and Keith Ballard.

The additions of Hamhuis and Ballard also appear to push Bieksa down the depth chart to the No. 6 spot with Christian Ehrhoff, Sami Salo and Alex Edler ahead of him as well. Shane O'Brien, Aaron Rome and Andrew Alberts are the others currently on the roster.

The Canucks won't carry nine into the season and perhaps not even eight depending on salary cap considerations. The Canucks are already over the $59.4 million cap but are allowed to exceed it by 10 per cent until Oct. 8, the day prior to their regular-season opener.

“We have a lot of depth on defence now and it will be fun to see how it unfolds,” Bieksa told Landsberg.

Asked specifically what he thought of the Hamhuis signing, Bieksa replied: “Happy. Happy for the team. Like I said, a lot of depth. Just gotta fill in a few holes on the forwards now.”

Told the TSN panel figured he would be involved in trade talks after the Canucks' July 1 moves, Bieksa quipped: “Yeah, well, you guys have been drawing blanks for three years now with the rumours so we'll see if you're right this time.”

Landsberg later asked Bieksa how often he planned to check the TSN website for the latest trade rumours.

“Not too often,” said the 29-year Hamiltonian. “I check TSN every day to read the news but I stay away from the other stuff.”

On a lighter note, Landsberg wondered how much “product” goaltender Roberto Luongo puts in his hair to achieve that nice shiny look.

“Not as much as people think,” Bieksa answered. “I think he's got a natural kind of grease to it.”

Then figuring that remark might get back to Luongo, Bieksa quickly added: “Sorry, Lou.”

epap@vancouversun.com

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Kevin+Bieksa+Canucks+trade+together/3273468/story.html#ixzz19MVO1VWP

And Gillis has never said he was actively shopping Bieksa. Quite the opposite.....

VANCOUVER PROVINCE JULY 2, 2010 - Mike Gillis wants to wait until the dust settles from a successful foray on the first day of NHL free agency before deciding what to do about a glut of defencemen.

That dust may not take long to settle.

After acquiring Keith Ballard in a trade last Friday and landing Dan Hamhuis on Thursday, the Vancouver Canucks general manager now has eight blueliners under contract next season for $24.1 million US.

That doesn't include restricted free agent Shane O'Brien, who was tendered a $1.6 million qualifying offer.

The scenario won't stop speculation that Kevin Bieksa is about to be dealt with $3.75 million left next season on an expiring contract.

He's too rich to be playing in the sixth spot and Gillis now has salary cap concerns in flushing out his roster because there's $2 million left to sign his four restricted free agents.

Bieksa could be traded for a draft pick to free up cap space.

However, the Columbus Post-Dispatch is reporting that Russian winger Nikita Filatov, 20, may be in play.

The sixth overall pick of the 2008 entry draft made the Columbus roster last season, but requested to be transferred back to CSKA Moscow of the KHL because of a lack of ice time.

His $875,000 salary was paid for by that club, but the Blue Jackets retained his rights. He has two years left on his deal.

"We're keeping Bieksa," said the Canucks general manager.

"He's a good quality defenceman and the presumptions that he's going to be traded are premature. Last year we thought we had plenty of defencemen and we went into the season not having enough. There's lots of time to think about those issues."

Well, keeping Bieksa is an accurate statement. They're keeping him for now and he does have some trade value, especially if he avoids injury and removes a label of inconsistency.

Several teams would come calling and then there's the uncertain Willie Mitchell situation.

After suffering a season-ending concussion on Jan. 16, the unrestricted free agent is reportedly free of symptoms and will start skating in two weeks.

He might land a one-year deal somewhere at some point this summer, maybe here.

"We've always said the moment that Willie says he can actually participate at an NHL level — in practice and games — we're going to talk to him," said Gillis. "And that's what we intend to do."

Last season, Bieksa was either good or bad and it played out in stunning fashion in the postseason.

After scoring twice and in one of his best games of the season in Game 5 of the Western Conference semifinal series against the Chicago Blackhakws, Bieksa couldn't build on it in the series finale with a minus-2 effort.

He turned over the puck to Kris Versteeg early in the second period to make it 2-0 en route to a 5-1 season-ending loss. And even though he had eight points to lead all Canuck defencemen in the postseason.

Read more: http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Numbers+suggest+Bieksa+trade+works/3225234/story.html#ixzz19MU1aAAm

Gillis did say later he'd had "inquiries" from other GM's.

BIEKSA BOUND FOR OTTAWA A BUNCH OF BULL

Amongst the Christmas wishes for the Ottawa Senators, laid out by Ottawa Sun columnist Bruce Garrioch, was a plea for Santa to help GM Bryan Murray find a way to acquire Vancouver Canucks defenseman Kevin Bieksa.

Only way that's going to work is if the Canucks get Sami Salo back before New Year's Day - which they won't, as the Vancouver Sun reported his return is now slated for sometime in February, 2011 - and if Santa can magically free up cap space for the Senators to comfortably absorb the remainder of Bieksa's $3.75 million cap hit.

If the Canucks did move Bieksa they wouldn't take back salary as they'd need the cap space for Salo's return. Unless the Canucks or Senators make separate salary-dumping deals with other teams first, or Murray buries more than $3.75 million in the minors, don't expect to see Bieksa patrolling the Senators blueline this season.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/37293-.html

So what? Ehrhoff is more popular, big deal.

If he didn't play with the Sedins as much as he does, he would have around the same, probably less points then Bieksa. Not to mention Bieksa is playing better defense against the other teams top players.

Christian Ehrhoff didn't exactly need the Sedins last year, pointless argument that you have no chance of proving.

Edler and Ehrhoff have both shown that they do not leech of the Sedins. Also, as I've said before, imo Christian Ehrhoff is part of the reason why the Sedins are 100 point players now.

Archived