The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Two teenage boys used texting, online chats to plot brutal assault, murder of Kimberly Proctor

aGENT

Doing nothing? They'll be tried and convicted and sent to prison.

Killing them solves nothing, it doesn't bring back an innocent girl nor will it ease her families pain. It merely makes us as a society barbaric and stoop to their level. I prefer the air up here thanks.

Yours is an immature, un-evolved and entirely emotional response. While I can appreciate the sentiment (part of me would like to castrate them and string them up alive for wild animals to feast on), it's simply not a mature or intelligent response to their admittedly horrific actions.

I see exactly where you're coming from. It isn't the "humane" thing to do, however in my mind it is the right thing to do. One of the things judge's are supposed to do when issuing a sentence is deter people from committing the act again. By locking them up and giving them food, shelter, and an education..not a lot of people are going to be turned off from doing the crime.

..If someone gets convicted of murder, then gets executed, I'm pretty sure I'm not gonna want to go ahead and kill someone (not that I would anyways). It's like a child and losing they're favorite toy. If they yell or scream they lose their toy, do it once and problem pretty much solved.

..If someone gets convicted of murder, then gets executed, I'm pretty sure I'm not gonna want to go ahead and kill someone (not that I would anyways). It's like a child and losing they're favorite toy. If they yell or scream they lose their toy, do it once and problem pretty much solved.

Disgusting...absolutely disgusting. Their names should be released publicly. There comes a time, and there are certain crimes, where the criminals who commit them "must" go against nature/conscience/morals. They should be locked up in a jail for a long time.

I wonder, I only read the 1st page of this topic, but the girl who the killers contacted, did she go to the police? I wonder if she could face any charges because if someone said to me "what would you think about me if I raped and killed someone?" warning flags would flare up in my head and I'd contact the authorities and/or parents.

Yup, missed that Criminal Code provision.

Parole eligibility would be 10 years for first degree murder for a youth aged 16 or 17 at the time of commission of the murder:

Persons under eighteen

745.1 The sentence to be pronounced against a person who was under the age of eighteen at the time of the commission of the offence for which the person was convicted of first degree murder or second degree murder and who is to be sentenced to imprisonment for life shall be that the person be sentenced to imprisonment for life without eligibility for parole until the person has served

(
B)
ten years, in the case of a person convicted of first degree murder who was sixteen or seventeen years of age at the time of the commission of the offence;

However that does not mean parole will be granted upon application and there is no statutory release possible for a first degree murder conviction.

You can't.

That's not meant to be a pithy answer but an honest one.

You can't prevent an unplanned crime of passion. Or prevent a planned and targeted killing. It'll happen. The best deterrence perhaps then is a fully funded and top notch ability to catch the perpetrators. Make it so that no murder goes unsolved and you'll have a potentially effective deterrence. Not that that's possible or would be 100% effective. Murder will happen no matter what, short of lobotomizing the entire human population.

It's one those things that you cannot prevent or deter 100% ever. There are things to minimize the chances but, they're not very effective. Perhaps eliminating poverty, providing a full education for eveyone and perhaps other things along those lines. But we live in reality and that's fantasy land stuff.

Very true. The thing is, criminals pray on the weak and scared, and in this day and time there are so many paranoid people that it makes it easy for killers to do whatever they please. I like the idea of a 100% effective way to catch perpetrators, but that would be nearly impossible. Unless we turn to Britain's way of life and put cameras up everywhere. But that is a long ways away from happening. I guess the only thing we really can do is to let the justice system do it's job. I've got to ask you a question that was discussed in my civics class but I don't want to hijack this thread :P so I'll PM you!

What a sad and disturbing story. There are no words to properly describe how I felt while I read that, it just makes me so furious that some people would go so far out of their way to do something so terrible to another person, regardless of what they'd previously done in their own lives... Even these teenagers. I just want NOTHING to do with them. They don't even appear to be sorry. What could possibly be done to make them change? How could they even be intimate with other people? I'm interested to know what comes out of the psychiatry reports...

It reminded me of the Junko Furuta story, which (sad to say) is even worse... It was the most infuriating thing I had ever read in my life, and I'm pretty sure it will be for a very, very long time if not til the moment I die. Don't look it up if you barely could handle this story.

Archived