The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Star Wars: The Old Republic

The Situation

Anyone else play Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic I and II? KOTOR I and II were amongst the best RPGs I have ever played.

I am a huge RPG fan but not really a big player of MMORPGS but I have to give this a try.

Now on a side note, this would be my top 15 favourite RPGs

1.) Neverwinter Nights

2.) Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind

3.) Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

4.) Baldur's Gate II

5.) Final Fantasy VIII

6.) Dragon Age: Origins

7.) Jade Empire

8.) Neverwinter Nights II

9.) Paper Mario

10.) Final Fantasy X

11.) Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II

12.) Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

13.) Fallout III

14.) Mass Effect II

15.) Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask

Big fan of KOTOR 1 but never played 2. Loved the bald black jedi who lived in the underworld on Taris. Tried very hard to find a used copy around town to play on 360, but no such luck. I wish they would just release it on demand or in Marketplace.

Favorite RPGs

1 Zelda :Orcarina of Time

2 FF VI

3 KOTOR

5 Mass Effect 2

6 Between Good and Evil

7 Xenogears

8 Chrono Trigger

9 FF VII

10 Zelda: Majora's Mask

11 Paper Mario

I love Star Wars and everything to do with it, KOTOR 1 and 2 are defiently 2 of the greatest RPGS ever

My favourite RPGS

1.Final Fantasy 12

2.Kingdom Hearts 2

3.Elder Scrolls 4:Oblivion

4.Kingdom Hearts 1

5. Final Fantasy 1

6. Final Fantasy 2

7. Rogue Galxay

... there's more I just can't think of any

Big fan of KOTOR 1 but never played 2. Loved the bald black jedi who lived in the underworld on Taris. Tried very hard to find a used copy around town to play on 360, but no such luck. I wish they would just release it on demand or in Marketplace.

Favorite RPGs

1 Zelda :Orcarina of Time

2 FF VI

3 KOTOR

5 Mass Effect 2

6 Between Good and Evil

7 Xenogears

8 Chrono Trigger

9 FF VII

10 Zelda: Majora's Mask

11 Paper Mario

I agree, I wish the trailers would show actual gameplay.

George Lucas pisses me off...everyone, gamers, fans and critics all love KOTOR but do they make a sequel past KOTOR II? Nope, they gotta give us games like The Force Unleashed. While The Force Unleashed has I think the best lightsaber moves ever in a video game, it doesn't match up to KOTOR. I'd love a Knights of the New Republic that could be set during the Yuuzhan Vong invasion. The original KOTOR had a better storyline and definitely better twist but KOTOR II had improved gameplay I thought. I'd love to get the new MMORPG but I'm not sure if I will as I don't want to pay per month.

As for RPGs...

1) Fallout 3

2) Oblivion

3) KOTOR II

4) KOTOR

5) Mass Effect 2

6) Red Dead Redemption

7) Mass Effect

8) Jade Empire

I bought Black Ops at EB Games on Monday. It's weird, they had the original Mass Effect for $27.99 and the sequel at about $17.99. The sequel is miles ahead of the first one which I thought was a disappointment and it was too full of minor side missions.

George Lucas pisses me off...everyone, gamers, fans and critics all love KOTOR but do they make a sequel past KOTOR II? Nope, they gotta give us games like The Force Unleashed. While The Force Unleashed has I think the best lightsaber moves ever in a video game, it doesn't match up to KOTOR. I'd love a Knights of the New Republic that could be set during the Yuuzhan Vong invasion. The original KOTOR had a better storyline and definitely better twist but KOTOR II had improved gameplay I thought. I'd love to get the new MMORPG but I'm not sure if I will as I don't want to pay per month.

I hope they continue KOTOR III sometime into the future and done preferably by Bioware. Revan will be featured in The Old Republic even though it is some 300 years past the events of KOTOR. I am really curious as to what happened to Revan and the Jedi Exile.

Yuuzhan Vong? Personally, I didn't like that storyline one bit or anything in the expanded past that. I like the movies and KOTOR because of how the main enemy is actually inside each and every person. What I mean by that is how Luke is really fighting his own inner demons more so than Vader. Most of the expanded universe doesn't seem to have that element that Lucas brought into the original series. Also KOTOR and the movies both had some evil Sith conspiracy lurking in the shadows. That is why I like Star Wars.

KOTOR II did have some better gameplay but KOTOR had one of the biggest WTF moments in all the RPGs I have played.

I bought Black Ops at EB Games on Monday. It's weird, they had the original Mass Effect for $27.99 and the sequel at about $17.99. The sequel is miles ahead of the first one which I thought was a disappointment and it was too full of minor side missions.

There can be too many side missions? I thought ME1 had a tedious inventory management system, the mineral mining was annoying, and the combat was too predictable, but loved the length, intricacy, characters, and storyline. They improved the inventory management (too much maybe?) and combat for ME2, but kind of went sideways on the mineral mining and went weird with the character development while making it a kind of short. Most of the second game you spend collecting teammates and gaining their loyalty - the main story seemed too short and simple. Which is why their selling DLC almost immediately following the game release date cheeses me off.

I don't mind the EU although I don't know anything past the last New Jedi Order book. But that series was like 20+ books long and so much happened (Chewbacca, Anakin Solo, Admiral Ackbar dying). And it seems pretty cool because while there aren't really any Sith, the Jedi have many enemies including tough Yuuzhan Vong warriors, the Peace Brigade, etc...there'd be a whole lot of destroyed worlds like Ithor.

The one thing that I'm looking forward to is that I like how there will be more than two Sith. I've never really been a fan of the "rule of two" because like that one Old Republic trailer showed, it's pretty cool watching dozens of Force-users on both sides attacking each other. I wonder if they'll shut down Galaxies once the Old Republic is launched.

NOOOO!!!

'Star Wars' vs. 'World of Warcraft' — wait for it!

OK "Star Wars" nerds (and by nerds, I mean totally awesome people), looks like you might have to wait a little bit longer than you hoped to play "Star Wars: The Old Republic."

Electronic Arts has confirmed it won't be releasing the highly anticipated, massively multiplayer online game until next April or even later.

Eric Brown, EA's chief financial officer, said the game won't launch until fiscal year 2012 – which begins in April 2011 (go figure) and goes into the following calendar year. This news comes courtesy of Gamasutra, which listened in on the Credit Suisse 2010 Technology Conference where Brown was speaking.

EA has been very vague about the game's launch date, frustrating would-be Jedi Knights and Sith Warriors to no end ... though folks at BioWare (the highly respected company developing the game) have said they are "targeting a spring 2011 release."

The company certainly has plenty of reason to want to take time to do things right. Brown has previously stated that "Star Wars: The Old Republic" is EA's largest project ever.

And with the many, many "Star Wars" fans out there eagerly awaiting this game, one can't help but wonder if this might be the game that takes down MMO behemoth "World of Warcraft" — or at least takes it down a notch or two.

Many have tried. And yet "WoW" remains the king of the MMO hill. Certainly Activision Chief Executive Bobby Kotick isn't sweating the competition.

Activision merged with "WoW" creators Blizzard back in 2008. And on Tuesday, Kotick told Reuters that he was not concerned that next year's launch of "The Old Republic" would eat into the "WoW" user base.

"I can't say that we're hugely concerned about that ... the audience for 'World of Warcraft' is a pretty committed group of players," he said. ("Pretty committed" being perhaps the biggest understatement of all time.)

"WoW" currently boasts more than 12 million players. And, as of next week, the game will be getting the "Cataclysm" expansion, which is sure to draw in even more players.

So yeah, it looks like "The Old Republic" will have its work cut out for it. Still, "Star Wars" vs. "World of Warcraft" — this is one nerd battle I can't wait to see.

http://technolog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2010/12/01/5562305-star-wars-vs-world-of-warcraft-wait-for-it

Archived