The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Darren Archibald | RW/LW

avelanch

45 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Totally agree. I have been talking Archibald up all over the Board. His physicality, speed and size give him a shot at the 4th line. He has a maturity to his game that is impressive. 

Your last point re: maturity is a huge factor. I've been hard on Archie in the past because his NHL stints always seemed to disappoint. He'd look lost and overwhelmed and he'd start to shy away from his bread and butter game whenever he'd get the opportunity to throw on a Canucks jersey. If he's indeed moved past this, then I definitely can see him scratching out a role as an NHL player. I was worried that penalty he took in the other game would hurt his confidence and  he'd start second guessing himself. But he seemed able to shake it off and keep playing the way he needs to. He's always been a guy I'd root for. But this year, he's really starting to show reason for belief in his potential, and that's a welcome change for me.

On 9/21/2017 at 5:45 PM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Your last point re: maturity is a huge factor. I've been hard on Archie in the past because his NHL stints always seemed to disappoint. He'd look lost and overwhelmed and he'd start to shy away from his bread and butter game whenever he'd get the opportunity to throw on a Canucks jersey. If he's indeed moved past this, then I definitely can see him scratching out a role as an NHL player. I was worried that penalty he took in the other game would hurt his confidence and  he'd start second guessing himself. But he seemed able to shake it off and keep playing the way he needs to. He's always been a guy I'd root for. But this year, he's really starting to show reason for belief in his potential, and that's a welcome change for me.

Agreed, i've always been a fan of his. He is a player we need on our 4th line if he can just keep that confidence going. If he can play for the Canucks like he does for the Comets then we really have something in this guy. He's a fan favorite on the farm team and has stuck around for all these years, mostly because he couldn't gain an NHL contract anywhere else but he really has shown a lot of loyalty to the Utica Comets organization. The Comets fans LOVE him, and he's extremely involved in their community. I'm rooting for the big guy. I'm hoping he can bring some beautiful nasty grit to our line up. I personally see him making this team over LaBate...if he keeps playing the way he has in the pre-season.

On 9/20/2017 at 10:32 PM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

His skating looks better this year. Not just his straight line speed in bursts chasing down pucks. That part improved a while ago. But he looks more nimble. Lighter and quicker feet. And able to maintain his speed when he gains the puck. Definitely stood out at times in tonight's game. 

Maybe he saw the time and effort Jake was doing to change his game around, and them being similar type forecheckers

On 9/24/2017 at 7:16 AM, Attila Umbrus said:

Agreed, i've always been a fan of his. He is a player we need on our 4th line if he can just keep that confidence going. If he can play for the Canucks like he does for the Comets then we really have something in this guy. He's a fan favorite on the farm team and has stuck around for all these years, mostly because he couldn't gain an NHL contract anywhere else but he really has shown a lot of loyalty to the Utica Comets organization. The Comets fans LOVE him, and he's extremely involved in their community. I'm rooting for the big guy. I'm hoping he can bring some beautiful nasty grit to our line up. I personally see him making this team over LaBate...if he keeps playing the way he has in the pre-season.

I, too, am rooting for him. He's put a lot of work into improving his all round game. It looks like it's starting to pay off. With Gaunce being injured, this is a real opportunity for him to, finally, earn a spot. I have my fingers crossed for him. 

Green knows this guy better than anyone. If he thinks he has what it takes to replace Dorset then I trust him. Archie will need to be able to play reliable hockey, hit guys on every shift, and win fights consistently against NHL heavyweights to make the team! Im rooting for him!

On 9/24/2017 at 10:23 AM, Attila Umbrus said:

I'm sure this is posted somewhere on this forum, but i'm lazy. So here is my favorite hit by Archie...just naaasssty!

Do you know what the most unnoticed part of this play was?  Karl Stollery completed a perfect breakout pass while being run over by a freight train.  I have to tip my hat to him for that. 

4 hours ago, UticaHockey said:

Do you know what the most unnoticed part of this play was?  Karl Stollery completed a perfect breakout pass while being run over by a freight train.  I have to tip my hat to him for that. 

Very true, he made the right play. But would he make it again after getting hit like that? Same play after the hit I bet he rushes to get the puck off before getting steam rolled lol. But props to him for sure!

2 hours ago, zombieksa said:

Quick question about waivers - since he doesn't have an NHL contract can we send him to Utica and then sign him to a contract to negate going through waivers and possibly losing him? I think he has earned some time in the big  league this year.

I believe they can do that, but I also believe any other team i  the NHL can offer him a contract right now. If they haven't done that why would they claim him on waivers?

I'm pretty sure Archibald would need to clear waivers (to be assigned to Utica) if he gets signed to an NHL deal.

I'm too busy/lazy to find the relevant CBA section this morning, but here's an article on a player in a similar situation:

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.secondcityhockey.com/platform/amp/2017/2/24/14731494/jeff-glass-waivers-blackhawks-nhl-2017

Jeff Glass was on an AHL only deal and playing in Rockford. Got signed to an NHL deal and had to clear waivers to go back to the AHL.

10 minutes ago, MattJVD said:

I believe they can do that, but I also believe any other team i  the NHL can offer him a contract right now. If they haven't done that why would they claim him on waivers?

This is true.  Archibald is essentially a NHL free agent right now and any NHL team that is paying attention can sign him.  It is my understanding that the Canucks since they own his AHL contract would have 24 hours to match any NHL contract offer.

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

Have to wonder if it's Archie vs Dorsett for a spot. 

Yup.

24 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Does anyone else get feeling that Green is higher on Archibald than he is on Dorsett and that Green may push for Dorsett getting waived so that three younger guys get into the starting forwards out of the gate?   

Archived