The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Iginla's status

Calgary needs to gut their team and rebuild.... Iggy should be the next piece to move... still amazes me how Calgary is always right up at the cap ceiling and they can't even crack the playoffs... true sign of overpayments... great job Suter family...

He's probably the central piece in their core at least at present; with Regehr gone (nice move, made it easier on the Twins to cycle and not worry about getting clocked against the boards) their core's essentially him (Iggy), Kipper, Giordano, J-Bo, Tanguay, B-Mo, Bourque, and an up-and-coming Backlund (plus maybe Glencross, Jackman and Babchuk as strong supporting pieces-- Karlsson too?); with Iggy gone though the rest of the team's drastically weakened so they won't give him up that easily, and it'll take some emerging pieces to pry him away (which was why LA looked to be in the forefront w/ their young pieces that could've come into play)

I'm not sure that the Canucks would be up there in terms of teams he'd want to go to for more than a rental, plus he would be expensive

Only way Iggy gets traded is if Toronto finally owns up to the largest theft of players of all time from one team to another. Man Calgary got swindled lmao :lol:

Fletcher moved to the Toronto Maple Leafs in 1991, to serve as Chief Operating Officer, President and General Manager. He made a blockbuster trade with Doug Risebrough, his successor as the Flames' General Manager, sending Gary Leeman, Michel Petit, Jeff Reese, Craig Berube, and Alexander Godynyuk to the Flames for Doug Gilmour, Jamie Macoun, Ric Nattress, Rick Wamsley and Kent Manderville on 2 January 1992.

Calgary trading away Iggy would be the single most stupid move they have ever done, its like us trading away Luongo the Sedins and/or Kesler.....it aint gna happen. but i have always thought the sedins and iggy would be an incredible line to see in action.....

If Feaster still wants to make the playoffs, they need to keep Iginla. The Flames don't really need to rebuild, they need more flexibilty. They're hamstrung by terrible contracts.

And if they decided trading Iginla was the way to go in a rebuild, he wouldn't be coming here.

• 8 months later...

This thread is old.

However, I couldn't help but think that Iginla would have a been the ultimate forward for the Canucks this year. The team needed their Dustin Brown and they needed a 2nd go-to guy when Daniel was out. They needed a strong body with a beautiful wrist shot playing with the Sedins (Booth is a good player, but not the goal scorer that Iggy is). Even though Iginla has never won a cup, if it wasn't for him, CGY wouldn't be making any of these little runs or even being close to the playoffs. I think he would have been an awesome guy to have in the dressing room, especially in game 5.

The hard part is that Iginla plays for a division rival.

I wonder if the Canucks could put a package together or if Feaster is going to continue to hold onto Iggy.

Archived