The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The RCMP Beat (ing) Goes On - Mantler Trial - 18 Months suspended sentence (post #144)

Wetcoaster

I don't think it's describing the action as careless. It's just the term they use for firing a weapon when you're not supposed to.

I'm sure using a firearm for hunting under a permit that expired a year ago would also fall under "carless use of a firearm".

Based on that ASSUMPTION, I'd say the charges that are pending are completely valid. However, I'd want to see charges going the other way to the RCMP officer as well.

Now, you're probably not the person I'd really want to argue any legal matters with, but I'm just giving my two cents.

At the risk of sidetracking things, I have to say that whether or not Mr. Tavares was guilty of careless use of a firearm or not, it changes my opinion not one iota about whether or not a kick to the face of a man on his hands and knees is warranted.

At the risk of sidetracking things, I have to say that whether or not Mr. Tavares was guilty of careless use of a firearm or not, it changes my opinion not one iota about whether or not a kick to the face of a man on his hands and knees is warranted.

I am in absolute agreement with that position.

And that is not sidetracking - that is the real issue. If anything the careless use of a firearm charge would be going off on a tangent. Police do not get to assault persons simply because they may have, or in fact have, committed a criminal act.

It now is being reported that Tavares is not being charged with careless use of a firearm in respect of the golf course shooting but rather over another alleged incident in a domestic dispute.

Tavares has been charged with careless use of a firearm in relation to a domestic violence "situation," that is still under investigation, police say.

http://www.theprovin...l#ixzz1AfptbTDn

Curious and curiouser.

Reportedly a decision will be made Tuesday as to whether Constable Geoff Mantler who is alleged to have assaulted Tavares is to be suspended. Abbotsford police will be investigating the incident to determine whether Mantler will be criminally charged.

The RCMP officer who was caught on tape allegedly using excessive force while arresting a Kelowna, B.C. man will find out Tuesday whether he will be suspended from his job.

Const. Geoff Mantler is currently on administrative leave after a video recorded on a mobile phone showed him kicking 51-year-old Buddy Tavares in the face.

The video has created a buzz in social media and prompted the creation of a Facebook page asking that Mantler be fired and charged with assault. By Monday afternoon the page had around 400 fans.

Abbotsford police will be investigating the incident to determine whether Mantler will be criminally charged.

Mounties had pulled over Tavares in response to a 911 call regarding a domestic violence incident and arrested him after finding a shotgun in his vehicle on Friday.

Video of Tavares' arrest shows him kneeling on the street when Mantler allegedly winds up and kicks him. When he stands up, his face is covered in blood and there appears to be a pool of blood where he was lying.

Const. Steve Holmes told ctvbc.ca that Tavares, who has no criminal record, appeared in court Monday on charges of careless use of a fire arm.

Holmes said in a release that he is shocked and disappointed by the video but he trusts in the process that will decide whether Mantler is suspended or criminally charged.

http://www.ctvbc.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20110110/bc_kelowna_rcmp_110110/20110110?hub=BritishColumbiaHome

And meanwhile in Coquitlam the RCMP beat(ing) goes on as well:

Two Mounties in Coquitlam, B.C., have been charged with assault after an alleged confrontation with a driver during a radar stop.

In a written statement released Tuesday, the RCMP says two constables have been charged following an investigation into a June 17 traffic stop.

Police say an altercation ensued after a violation ticket was issued. The driver was ultimately removed from the car and arrested.

The incident was captured on a police car camera and charges were laid after a supervisor viewed the video.

Const. Marko Duran, 38, and Const. Trevor Doylend, 33, have each been charged with one count of assault.

No charges were laid against the driver, who did not make a complaint to police about the incident.

Duran has been assigned to administrative duties while Doylend remains on traffic duty.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2011/01/04/bc-mounties-assault.html#ixzz1AgDQcuLa

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shj2_5zJ9yw&feature=player_embedded#!

Cop suspended with pay

Kelowna RCMP are advising that, as of 4 p.m. Monday and pursuant to the RCMP Act, the officer involved in the excessive use of force allegation is suspended from duty with pay until further notice.

The officer is widely reported to be Geoff Mantler.

With respect to the investigation into the shooting itself, police have learned that the accused did not have permission to be on the grounds of the golf course for any reason, and that there were no current permits in place for the use of a firearm, or noisemakers, to scare geese.

The accused, Buddy Tavares, was released from court by way of a surety (bail) and has several conditions to his release.

Two More Videos

Video: Buddy Tavares speaks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDaBNHfW-Qo&feature=player_embedded

Video: Buddy Tavares denies allegation

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEPMrZ6fVpU&feature=player_embedded

Him and his wife denying domestic dispute. I guess we shouldn't assume it was necessarily involving her though, or maybe she's lying.

RCMP ready for Sunday's protest

by Grant Scott - Story: 59507

Jan 15, 2011 / 4:00 pm

At a media conference Saturday afternoon, RCMP Superintendent Bill McKinnon gave an up date on the progress of the investigation into RCMP officer Geoff Mantler's actions during the arrest of Buddy Tavares.

McKinnon also wanted to assure the public that the RCMP is aware of the rally to protest "police brutality against Canadian civilians" planned for this Sunday.

"The RCMP hears loud and clear what the general public's views are in relation to the video" says McKinnon. "We realize the processes are not moving as quickly as most people would like, but everyone must understand that the processes must be followed and are legislated in the RCMP act."

To help speed up the investigation three more officers from the Abbotsford police department have been brought in to help interview the more than 40 witnesses that have come forward.

As for Sunday's protest, McKinnon does admit some concern.

"Protest is legal in the democracy that we live in and I understand that many members of the community are upset with the process and want to be heard. I have read the comments in various blogs that civil disobedience may erupt and that does concern me. I urge everyone to remain calm, make their point verbally and allow the legal processes that are in place to come to completion."

One of the concerns police have is that there will be protesters showing up outside of the control of organizers who will try to provoke and incite the crowd.

"We want to have a peaceful protest, but its always the outside dissidents that attach themselves to peaceful protests that cause concern. We saw it at the Vancouver Olympics, as well as the G8 and G20 summits. They are just there to create havoc." says McKinnon

"We are going to have meetings with the organizers tomorrow (Sunday) morning. But they don't know how many people are going to show up. It could be anywhere, in my estimation, from between 50 and 1,500. We don't know."

The RCMP will be present at the rally, but McKinnon declined to say how many. "I don't want to discuss the numbers but it will be an increased presence. It may not be entirely visible, but we'll be ready to deal with whatever issue comes forth."

As for concern the police themselves will become targets at the rally, McKinnon says they have spoken to the officers who will be there to make sure they are prepared for whatever happens.

He also took issue with those who criticized the training his officers receive. "The members of today are better trained, in my opinion, than they ever have been. We go through this time and time again in dealing with tactical deployment and how to deal with different situations."

Sundays rally begins at noon at City Park.

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-59507-1-.htm#59507

I pray there is no violence tomorrow, and that there are no police plants in the crowd like there were at the G8 and G20 protests who incited violence amongst the crowd.

Somehow I wonder if cops are REALLY trained on how to restrain someone WITHOUT injuring themselves or the suspect, let alone how to fire a gun, in other words not needing to empty their clip into a suspect. This incident and others somehow show the opposite.

"Absolute power corrupts absolutely."

I wasn't saying that they should aim to wound, but in cases where the suspect DOES NOT have a firearm, is a centre of mass double tap really necessary?? The Seattle shooting of the Native man with a knife, the case in Van whith the guy weilding a BIKE CHAIN?? Is more than one shot necessary? All that I was saying is that maybe the training that they have received is susspect.

I wasn't saying that they should aim to wound, but in cases where the suspect DOES NOT have a firearm, is a centre of mass double tap really necessary?? The Seattle shooting of the Native man with a knife, the case in Van whith the guy weilding a BIKE CHAIN?? Is more than one shot necessary? All that I was saying is that maybe the training that they have received is susspect.

If you trained every regular street level cop to a respectable level in the use of force continuum it would be prohibitably expensive, and time consuming enough that you'd have to hire a lot more officers because a large chunk of them would always then be in training at any given time.

Anyway, since the RCMP is pretty much another PMC at this point, can't we at least take bids from XE {Blackwater} and all the rest of the PMCs for our policing contracts?

Anyone witness the police beatings during the olympics? I first hand witnessed 2 friends beaten unconscious and beaten back awake.

They were thrown into a circle of about 30 cops all standing back to back so you couldn't see in the circle, while other cops beat them close to death. It started with the one fried and once the other spoke up, we has tossed into the circle.

These circles were seen everywhere.

Archived