The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Cricket

He-Man

Sachin Tendulkar to retire with countless Test and one-day records to his name:

India will lose its greatest cricketer when Sachin Tendulkar retires but the 'Little Master' leaves behind records that will not only be tough to beat, but may never be broken.

Tendulkar, 40, has played more matches, and scored more runs and centuries, than anyone else in either Test or one-day cricket, and is the only batsman to compile 100 international hundreds.

What stands out in an extraordinary 24-year career, which will end with his 200th Test starting Thursday, is how far ahead he is both in terms of statistics and longevity.

"Records don't last forever, but some of Tendulkar's achievements like 200 Tests and 100 international centuries will be hard to beat," former India captain Kapil Dev said.

Tendulkar's 15,847 Test runs dwarf the 13,378 scored by second-placed and now retired former Australia captain Ricky Ponting, and is 2,707 runs ahead of Jacques Kallis, the highest placed active player.

Tendulkar has been even more dominant in one-day cricket, his tally of 18,426 runs being 4,722 more than number two Ponting. Of active batsmen, Sri Lanka's Kumar Sangakkara leads with 11,948.

Ponting's 30 one-day centuries pale against Tendulkar's 49 - although South Africa's Kallis is only seven hundreds away from matching the Indian's Test tally of 51 tons.

By further comparison, Australia's Donald Bradman, usually acknowledged as cricket's best batsman, retired aged 39 in 1948 with 6,996 Test runs, including 29 centuries, in 52 matches.

And despite Bradman's staggering Test average of 99.94, West Indian great Brian Lara said Tendulkar was not only the best of all time, but that his records could be unmatchable.

"No argument at all - Sachin Tendulkar, for me, has had the greatest cricket career of anyone who has ever played the

game," Brian Lara said this week.

"His stats speak for themselves. I don't think there is any 16-year-old who is going to embark on the sort of career that Sachin Tendulkar has had and walk away from the game at 40 or 41 with such great achievements," added Lara.

Among current players, Tendulkar's Test record could possibly be matched by just two batsmen - the indefatigable all-rounder Kallis, and England captain Alastair Cook.

Kallis, 38, has scored 13,140 runs in 164 Tests at an average of 55.44. Cook, 28, already has 7,801 runs from 97 Tests, with 25 centuries and an average of 47.85.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-11-13/the-unbeatable-record-of-the-retiring-sachin-tendulkar/5089732

Watching Tendulkar's final match right now, anyone else watching? What can I say, what a career!

Indian batting legend Sachin Tendulkar announces retirement from the one day format of the game:

Sachin Tendulkar has retired from ODI cricket. Tendulkar finishes an illustrious career in the 50-over format, having played 463 ODIs, scored 18,426 runs and made 49 centuries, each of them a world record. His last ODI was against Pakistan in Dhaka during the Asia Cup, where he made a half-century in India's victory.

"I have decided to retire from the One Day format of the game," he said in a statement. "I feel blessed to have fulfilled the dream of being part of a World Cup winning Indian team. The preparatory process to defend the World Cup in 2015 should begin early and in right earnest. I would like to wish the team all the very best for the future. I am eternally grateful to all my well wishers for their unconditional support and love over the years."

Tendulkar made his ODI debut on his first international tour, in 1989, against Pakistan in Gujranwala, where he got a duck. He scored his first half-century in his ninth ODI and made an immediate impact when promoted to open the batting in 1994, in an ODI against New Zealand in Auckland, where he smashed 82 in 49 balls. His first century took 79 ODIs to arrive but he kept piling them on with remarkable consistency. (Click here to see Tendulkar's cumulative ODI record.)

Some of the batting highlights in his ODI career include back-to-back hundreds against Australia in 1998 in a triangular tournament in Sharjah, finishing as the highest run-getter in the 2003 World Cup in South Africa, and becoming the first batsman to score a double-century in the ODI format, against South Africa in February 2010.

He was part of one of India's greatest ODI achievements over the last three decades, when they won the World Cup in 2011, beating Sri Lanka in the final on his home ground in Mumbai - it was his last ODI in India. In preparation for that World Cup, Tendulkar had curtailed the amount of ODI cricket in the year playing only four ODIs in the 12 months before the tournament. Since the end of the World Cup, Tendulkar has played 10 ODIs, seven in the CB Series against Australia and the last three of his career being played at the Asia Cup in Dhaka. His innings of 114 against Bangladesh on March 16 was his 100th international hundred in what turned out to be Tendulkar's penultimate ODI match for India.

Tendulkar's announcement of his ODI retirement came through a statement from the BCCI which stated that he had spoken to BCCI president N Srinivasan. His retirement was announced on the day the Indian selectors picked the teams to play in the five-match T20 and ODI series against Pakistan.

"It was not sudden. He informed us before the selection about his decision," Sanjay Jagdale, the BCCI secretary, told reporters. "He spoke to me and the president about his decision. Naturally he must have been (emotional) I can't say we just spoke on the phone."

"What he has expressed is his concern that India has to prepare for the next World Cup," the BCCI's chief administrative officer Ratnakar Shetty added. "From that point of view, he felt that it was time that he retired."

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/current/story/598302.html

The best of the best, good luck Sachin!

So sad!

• 2 weeks later...

True burrkeshanlon was a great win and long time coming. Mitchell outstanding and shut up alot of critics especially the barmy army. Adelaide should be interesting but I'm tipping a draw. Traditionally a flat deck and some rain expected. Pumped for Boxing Day, hoping to get along.

Edited by soda

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Alright, I've calmed down now.

Good on the Aussie boys for winning the Ashes, some fantastic cricket to watch.

Gotta feel for Cook though, so many saying he not a good enough captain. I don't see anybody else on the team ready to take up the roll.

Pup on the other hand, so stoked, he deserves this.

Gotta feel for Cook though, so many saying he not a good enough captain. I don't see anybody else on the team ready to take up the roll.

As a lifelong Essex fan, and England fan, I have never wanted Cook as captain. He's the best batsman England have had for 40 years, and they've forced responsibility onto him. Big mistake.

Problem is, there is no-one else to choose from. For me it should always be a bowler - they know what they're doing when setting fields and changing bowler. But unless you give it to Broad, there is no-one to take it from Cook.

My fear is that his batting, which for so long has had him on track for hall-of-fame figures, will never recover. England need a new leader to allow Cook to do what he does best - win series single-handedly.

Non existent.

First World Cup qualifying game tomorrow I believe - not sure how Canada are for quality these days, but if they can't escape that pitiful group, then there is little hope for the game.

I will always regret not leaving England when I finished uni and coming over to Canada. I was offered a place in the Montreal second XI, a job and accommodation...turned it down like a fool. I'd have been in that first XI and in the international side so quickly too.

Problem is, there is no-one else to choose from. For me it should always be a bowler - they know what they're doing when setting fields and changing bowler. But unless you give it to Broad, there is no-one to take it from Cook.

Broad wouldn't be a bad choice if that's what they want to do.

You've got some good younger players coming through, so maybe in several years time there will be a lot of options.

But right now, Cook really needs that confidence boosting win that nearly happened last night. Was actually hoping for that result, it would do the Aussies good to loose. I don't know if it's that they get full of themselves, but the media over here certainly do.

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...