The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Vancouver Whitecaps Thread

Tenacious

That was a sick performance from Phonsie last night. Reyna had an excellent game as well....

...defending is still an issue though. DeJong got burned on the second Minny goal and Teibert was out-jumped on the first. I know management is thinking Can-con with these two, but I think KW needs some more help back there...

Man, watching the Caps in the last game makes you want to cry. That just when Davies is coming into his own, starting to look like the superstar he will be, Caps are most likely out of the playoffs.  His last year with the club and we won't get to see a last playoff run with him just when he's starting to elevate his game to such delightful levels.  Caps blew games early on they should have won, and now its coming back to bite them.

1 hour ago, kilgore said:

Man, watching the Caps in the last game makes you want to cry. That just when Davies is coming into his own, starting to look like the superstar he will be, Caps are most likely out of the playoffs.  His last year with the club and we won't get to see a last playoff run with him just when he's starting to elevate his game to such delightful levels.  Caps blew games early on they should have won, and now its coming back to bite them.

cup half full viewpoint??

there are quite a few games left

the team is 1 point out of a playoff spot

have you actually watched how good alphonsie has been in recent games?

if he keeps that up playoffs will happen

and playoff success becomes more likely as well

it would be nice if caps could add 1 more quality player

to play this season still

to maximize the little time davies is with the team

let's try to make a run this year

it is exciting . but a bit sad... and an indictment of this organization

that the player the team most relies on is 17 years old.. a kid..

he is gifted no doubt

but we have no one, no experienced veteran player

who the team can rely on more ??

how can that be ?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, kilgore said:

Look at the Davies situation this way:  instead of having Davies here to watch next season, the Caps can spend some of the transfers money on much lesser talented players.  :picard:

19 hours ago, coastal.view said:

cup half full viewpoint??

there are quite a few games left

the team is 1 point out of a playoff spot

have you actually watched how good alphonsie has been in recent games?

if he keeps that up playoffs will happen

and playoff success becomes more likely as well

it would be nice if caps could add 1 more quality player

to play this season still

to maximize the little time davies is with the team

let's try to make a run this year

it is exciting . but a bit sad... and an indictment of this organization

that the player the team most relies on is 17 years old.. a kid..

he is gifted no doubt

but we have no one, no experienced veteran player

who the team can rely on more ??

how can that be ?

Okay, I'll look at the half cup from a different angle.

I admit I'm  not a 24/7 Caps fan.  I don't watch every game, or even most games. So I rely on 'experts' on radio to fill me in.  And last I heard they said something like the Caps have a 7% chance now of making the playoffs. Which would not only require the Caps to win a lot of games, but certain other teams to lose games, or at least not win too many. So....pretty much out.  But I'd love them to change my mind.

And yeah its kind of appalling that our best player, probably ever, is a 17 year old kid. (who's leaving)

• Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, kilgore said:

Okay, I'll look at the half cup from a different angle.

I admit I'm  not a 24/7 Caps fan.  I don't watch every game, or even most games. So I rely on 'experts' on radio to fill me in.  And last I heard they said something like the Caps have a 7% chance now of making the playoffs. Which would not only require the Caps to win a lot of games, but certain other teams to lose games, or at least not win too many. So....pretty much out.  But I'd love them to change my mind.

And yeah its kind of appalling that our best player, probably ever, is a 17 year old kid. (who's leaving)

France just won a WC with a 19 year old as their best player

• Like 1

On 2018-07-26 at 9:33 PM, UnkNuk said:

Interesting article over at the MLS website about Alphonso and his transfer to Bayern:

"Bayern are signing Davies for his potential, not his present ability. Davies is good, but he’s not Bayern good, yet. Bayern starts guys that are top-20 in the world at their positions. Davies has shown he might be able to get to that level, but he still needs to bridge the potential to the Bayern good gap."

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018/07/25/warshaw-what-alphonso-davies-needs-do-succeed-bayern-munich?utm_source=TWIMEmail&utm_medium=referral&utm_content=TwimStory1&utm_campaign=07262018

Just to add another wrinkle:

“The young Whitecap has been promised first-team minutes, with no loans or residency spells, shown how they want him to fit into the team’s playing style, and the off-field support a teenager alone in a foreign country needs”

https://theprovince.com/sports/soccer/mls/vancouver-whitecaps/art-of-the-alphonso-davies-deal-how-a-special-bond-made-for-dramatic-lucrative-transfer

So the Warshaw article at MLS.com speculates that Davies may have trouble finding a spot initially and may need to be loaned. But the Province article (whose writer was in Philadelphia for the transfer and had a lengthy interview with Davies’ advisor who helped broker the deal) says Davies will be guaranteed first team minutes and has been promised no loans or residency.

Sounds like they’re betting on the kid being ready and “Bayern good” as soon as next year, which is pretty damn exciting. Also sounds like they’re going to give him the kind of support he needs.

Really hope it works out. Sky’s the limit with Davies. 

• Upvote 1

Nothing like seeing Davies get played out of position and then subbed off early to make me a temporary Juve fan for today’s All Star game.

What a missed opportunity by MLS. 

Kid’s the biggest football story out of NA right now, you’ve got Juventus in town, and likely some eyes on the game that don’t normally watch MLS, and you play Davies 30 minutes at left back.

2 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Nothing like seeing Davies get played out of position and then subbed off early to make me a temporary Juve fan for today’s All Star game.

Kid’s the biggest football story out of NA right now, you’ve got Juventus in town, and likely some eyes on the game that don’t normally watch MLS, and you play Davies 30 minutes at left back.

I missed the first part of the game (forgot that it was on) and when I tuned in I was surprised that Davies wasn't playing/starting.  So I thought they might sub him in the second half and still nothing.  Thanks for clearing up what happened.

Still and all not a bad game for an exhibition.  And you have to love those Atlanta fans - all 70,000+ of them.  Great turnout.  

9 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

I missed the first part of the game (forgot that it was on) and when I tuned in I was surprised that Davies wasn't playing/starting.  So I thought they might sub him in the second half and still nothing.  Thanks for clearing up what happened.

Still and all not a bad game for an exhibition.  And you have to love those Atlanta fans - all 70,000+ of them.  Great turnout.  

True. The game itself wasn’t bad and Atlanta put on a good show and looked the part of MLS’s expansion success story. I guess the Davies stuff just soured me (as well as the commentators who spent half their time in the box with their backs turned to play interviewing celebrity guests while play continues on the pitch). Would have liked to have seen him used better. He won’t get another MLS All Star game, but he is off to bigger and brighter things, and I’m sure he’ll get plenty of minutes in the actual meaningful games remaining with VWFC. 

On 8/1/2018 at 6:41 PM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Yeah, I tuned in late and kept looking for him sprinting down the sideline as usual. For a while I didn't even think he was in the lineup.

58 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

Not bad today, not incredibly exciting either. Glad they came back to a draw at least after getting the first goal.

It was, for the most part, a ho-hum game.  But that was a sweet cross from Shea and a terrific finish by Hurtado.

I dont like half the players we have, they are basically getting paid for doing nothing, like blondell etc ...and like someone said on tsn? sportsnet? forgot were, but they really need to sign a superstar with davies money, its a must ( plain and simple )

9 hours ago, Dave "The Hammer" Schultz said:

I dont like half the players we have, they are basically getting paid for doing nothing, like blondell etc ...and like someone said on tsn? sportsnet? forgot were, but they really need to sign a superstar with davies money, its a must ( plain and simple )

woulld be nice

but why would they

answer me this

how many teams has mls added since the caps joined ?

how much expansion fee money was paid?

where did that money go?

what did the whitecaps do with their share of expansion fee funds ?

they will do the same with the money they got for davies

except very publicly use a small portion of it

to try to satisfy the fan base

don't hold your breath on a superstar

even the retiring ones (rooney) get 3 million plus per season to come here

the better ones are paid more then 5 million

Edited by coastal.view

On 8/4/2018 at 8:35 PM, UnkNuk said:

It was, for the most part, a ho-hum game.  But that was a sweet cross from Shea and a terrific finish by Hurtado.

it is nice that they won

did you look at the game stats though ?
nyc had ball 70% of the time

out shot caps by a ton

had way more corner kicks

out passed them by more then double

and their pass success rate was more then 20% better then the caps

so yeah i guess if a result is all someone wants

then it's great

i watched the game

it was pretty dreadful

the caps play a pretty dreary style of soccer