The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Vancouver Whitecaps Thread

Tenacious

18 hours ago, Dave "The Hammer" Schultz said:

well im glad hurtado got a goal, hes one player they needa play more, but nope they play eggheads like blondell , ghazal , juarez etc ......

:huh:

Blondell, I tend to agree with, but Ghazal and Juarez aren't forwards, so their playing time isn't affecting Hurtado's at all. It's guys like Reyna and Kamara (and very occasionally, Ibini) who's playing time keeps Hurtado on the bench.

On 8/6/2018 at 10:06 AM, coastal.view said:

answer me this

how many teams has mls added since the caps joined ?

how much expansion fee money was paid?

where did that money go?

what did the whitecaps do with their share of expansion fee funds ?

Here's a couple of articles that discuss the valuation of MLS teams including income from expansion:

https://www.sbnation.com/soccer/2016/8/9/12404638/mls-expansion-fee-number-of-teams-200-million

https://www.starsandstripesfc.com/2017/8/29/16088402/mls-money-owners-sum-major-league-soccer-marketing-usa-mexico-canada

Not sure I understood all the economics but it sounds like the MLS owners are doing okay.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

Here's a couple of articles that discuss the valuation of MLS teams including income from expansion:

https://www.sbnation.com/soccer/2016/8/9/12404638/mls-expansion-fee-number-of-teams-200-million

https://www.starsandstripesfc.com/2017/8/29/16088402/mls-money-owners-sum-major-league-soccer-marketing-usa-mexico-canada

Not sure I understood all the economics but it sounds like the MLS owners are doing okay.

If we’re doing okay, than why not keep our young stars?  Seems to me the MLS will always be less than even a third rate league if selling our best young players continues.  This is NA, where our sports’ leagues are the best, right?  NBA, NHL, MLB, NFL are all the best.  Soccer will die (again) if we can’t afford the young star players.  

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

If we’re doing okay, than why not keep our young stars?  Seems to me the MLS will always be less than even a third rate league if selling our best young players continues.  This is NA, where our sports’ leagues are the best, right?  NBA, NHL, MLB, NFL are all the best.  Soccer will die (again) if we can’t afford the young star players.  

because young truly gifted talented stars

want to play in the best leagues against the best competition

in the world

north america does not offer that level of competition in soccer

soccer in north amerca

also cannot compete financially

and cannot pay the salaries these elite soccer players

can command in countries where the best leagues are located

it's the same reason athletes from other countries

come to play in certain professional leagues in north america

that offer the best level of competition globally

and also earn the most money possible

but you already knew all that alf

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, coastal.view said:

because young truly gifted talented stars

want to play in the best leagues against the best competition

in the world

north america does not offer that level of competition in soccer

soccer in north amerca

also cannot compete financially

and cannot pay the salaries these elite soccer players

can command in countries where the best leagues are located

it's the same reason athletes from other countries

come to play in certain professional leagues in north america

that offer the best level of competition globally

and also earn the most money possible

but you already knew all that alf

Considering what we agree upon, how much longer does this version of pro soccer last in NA?  

Well all canadian teams added a player or two to help bolster there roster for the rest of the season, but vancouver :(  , even the caster of van/toronto game , were shocked whitecaps didnt add a player and they agreed whitecaps needed some new blood .....so we stuck with what we got till end of season, and to be frank, if this is the roster we gonna have , doubt we will make the playoffs ..and even if we did, not holding my breathe.

vancouver, just dont have any finish, esp watching todays game, they had chances but no finish :( and if toronto played there full roster, we wouldnt of tied , we woulda lost, bono or w/e his name is, is hella bettter than the goalie they had in goal, and ginvnco was absent among others ....

Just alittle disapointed that we didnt make any trades or added anyone :( esp with all that money .....was funny listning to KJ pondering why vancouver isnt spending any cash lol, welcome to vancouver bro :) vancouver best city in the world, but our teams ....eeeeeekkkk

• Upvote 1

On 8/9/2018 at 12:15 AM, Dave "The Hammer" Schultz said:

Well all canadian teams added a player or two to help bolster there roster for the rest of the season, but vancouver :(  , even the caster of van/toronto game , were shocked whitecaps didnt add a player and they agreed whitecaps needed some new blood .....so we stuck with what we got till end of season, and to be frank, if this is the roster we gonna have , doubt we will make the playoffs ..and even if we did, not holding my breathe.

vancouver, just dont have any finish, esp watching todays game, they had chances but no finish :( and if toronto played there full roster, we wouldnt of tied , we woulda lost, bono or w/e his name is, is hella bettter than the goalie they had in goal, and ginvnco was absent among others ....

Just alittle disapointed that we didnt make any trades or added anyone :( esp with all that money .....was funny listning to KJ pondering why vancouver isnt spending any cash lol, welcome to vancouver bro :) vancouver best city in the world, but our teams ....eeeeeekkkk

My understanding is they don't even have that money yet. The transfer takes place after the season. But before they bring in players they have to move players out since there's still a salary cap the Whitecaps can't just drop $12M in players into their team - even spreading that out over three years.

5 hours ago, elvis15 said:

My understanding is they don't even have that money yet. The transfer takes place after the season. But before they bring in players they have to move players out since there's still a salary cap the Whitecaps can't just drop $12M in players into their team - even spreading that out over three years.

If the owners of the Whitecaps are having cashflow issues.... they shouldn't be in the business of professional sports.  

Huge win in Portland last night. Despite not getting much help from the officials, the 'Caps held on for a 2-1 victory. It was the first lost for the Timbers in 16 fixtures.

Felipe and Ghazal were excellent in midfield, time and again intercepting balls before the Timbers could go on the attack. Still some defensive issues. I still think Waston needs some help in the back. Preferably someone who's good in the air.

The good news is that Montreal scored in the second half to draw RSL, leaving Vancouver 2 pts out of a playoff spot. In fact, every team ahead of the Whitecaps is the West, either drew or lost, with the exception of Sporting KC, who beat LA FC, currently three point ahead of the 'Caps.

Another tough match-up next Saturday, with NY Red Bulls visiting BC Place.

5 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Huge win in Portland last night. Despite not getting much help from the officials, the 'Caps held on for a 2-1 victory. It was the first lost for the Timbers in 16 fixtures.

Felipe and Ghazal were excellent in midfield, time and again intercepting balls before the Timbers could go on the attack. Still some defensive issues. I still think Waston needs some help in the back. Preferably someone who's good in the air.

The good news is that Montreal scored in the second half to draw RSL, leaving Vancouver 2 pts out of a playoff spot. In fact, every team ahead of the Whitecaps is the West, either drew or lost, with the exception of Sporting KC, who beat LA FC, currently three point ahead of the 'Caps.

Another tough match-up next Saturday, with NY Red Bulls visiting BC Place.

I thought the departure of Laba would have left a huge hole as he was very good as a defensive MF.  Good to know that Ghazal has filled that role perfectly (not quite as physical, but wow, he's like an octopus).

You're right about Waston looking more vulnerable.... it shows how important Tim Parker was :(

Just now, Lancaster said:

I thought the departure of Laba would have left a huge hole as he was very good as a defensive MF.  Good to know that Ghazal has filled that role perfectly (not quite as physical, but wow, he's like an octopus).

You're right about Waston looking more vulnerable.... it shows how important Tim Parker was :(

Agreed. I was a bit worried when TP was let go, but I figured they'd find someone to fill that hole. I'd really just like to see someone with a little more height (or hops) at the back. Last night, Kamara was responsible for almost as many clearances as Waston.

Maybe the 'Caps can work something out with Stoke City for Peter Crouch...B)

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Agreed. I was a bit worried when TP was let go, but I figured they'd find someone to fill that hole. I'd really just like to see someone with a little more height (or hops) at the back. Last night, Kamara was responsible for almost as many clearances as Waston.

So you're suggesting that Kamara should change his position from striker to CB, eh?  I mean, who's better to counter a striker than another striker?  :lol:

On 8/10/2018 at 11:20 PM, Lancaster said:

If the owners of the Whitecaps are having cashflow issues.... they shouldn't be in the business of professional sports.  

That ignores the second part of my post. Sure, they could probably come up with some money to spend on an addition to the team with that future money in the pipe already, but they still have to make room if they want to add anyone of note.

I don't have their salary cap figures in front of me, but if someone wanted to lay it out we could see what room they had (and will have) to play with before freaking out they didn't make a move.

4 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I think I saw Nerwinski had 7 clearances after coming on in the second half. Waston I believe had 11 for a team high in the game.

1 hour ago, elvis15 said:

I think I saw Nerwinski had 7 clearances after coming on in the second half. Waston I believe had 11 for a team high in the game.

Yeah, Nerwinski's the other guy I trust back there....I just wish he were taller....