The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Vancouver Whitecaps Thread

Tenacious

27 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

What I read it was 25,000 and it was expandable. Hard to find now since it's been torpedoed. 

'Wiki' says 20K and expandable.

Course 'Wiki' can be edited.  Alf's wiki page says he was the GOAT.  Now I wonder who wrote that?:ph34r:

• Haha 2

Being a Whitecaps fan it's easy to forget that soccer can be entertaining.  And then you watch a game like LAFC/Galaxy tonight.  Terrific!  One of the most entertaining games I've seen in a long while.  The stars score, end to end action, fans are into it (love those LAFC fans - they never stop cheering) - really a good game.

Now, if only we could see games like that here in Vancouver.

12 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

Being a Whitecaps fan it's easy to forget that soccer can be entertaining.  And then you watch a game like LAFC/Galaxy tonight.  Terrific!  One of the most entertaining games I've seen in a long while.  The stars score, end to end action, fans are into it (love those LAFC fans - they never stop cheering) - really a good game.

The game against the 'Quakes was horrific. Absolutely the worst marking I've ever seen.

The defenders left Wando wide open at the back post a half dozen times that I saw, which is not good, considering they gave up about a million corners....

16 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

Grass field needed first? 

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
11 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

Congratulations to the Seattle Sounders on their 3-1 victory over Toronto in the MLS Cup in front of 69,000+ fans.

From a neutral's point of view, I thought the game was so-so but I'm sure the Sounders fans enjoyed every minute of it.

and seatle are the only team i cheer for, since whitecap ownership are total trash, and the whitecaps will never be good, since they dont spend money, look at toronto , they spend money and make so many MLS cups , they may not win em, but man they atleast make the playoffs

2 hours ago, StealthNuck said:

Toronto and Seattle perpetually in the finals is such a nightmare for the Whitecaps management. The Sounders have been a success right from the start.

Have to spend at least SOME money to compete.  I thank the stars the Aquilini's (who obviously aren't perfect) own the Canucks.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, x00x said:

and seatle are the only team i cheer for, since whitecap ownership are total trash, and the whitecaps will never be good, since they dont spend money, look at toronto , they spend money and make so many MLS cups , they may not win em, but man they atleast make the playoffs

I think this off-season is very important for the Whitecaps.  Seems to me they have to make a splash in their signings.  If we just get another couple of no-names, in the hope they may pan out, I would guess that more and more Vancouver fans will agree with you.

2 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

I think this off-season is very important for the Whitecaps.  Seems to me they have to make a splash in their signings.  If we just get another couple of no-names, in the hope they may pan out, I would guess that more and more Vancouver fans will agree with you.

why

it was predicted caps management would not spend this past season

despite the davies transfer money and other non ticket revenues received

the team payroll was right near the bottom of the league this past season

why would that change?

ticket revenues do not drive this franchise

other revenue sources do

the fans are not a priority

20 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

why

why would that change?

other revenue sources do

It's even worse than that. Not only do the Whitecaps not spend much money on players, they don't even spend the money they spend very well: https://www.eightysixforever.com/2019/7/16/20694135/its-so-much-worse-than-you-think-the-vancouver-whitecaps-and-the-bargain-bin

Edited by Brad Marchand
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Brad Marchand said:

It's even worse than that. Not only do the Whitecaps not spend much money on players, they don't even spend the money they spend very well: https://www.eightysixforever.com/2019/7/16/20694135/its-so-much-worse-than-you-think-the-vancouver-whitecaps-and-the-bargain-bin

Considering the bad stuff off the field that’s been going on for more than a decade, and the owners not spending money on the team maybe we need new ownership and s complete cleaning of management?  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, coastal.view said:

why

why would that change?

other revenue sources do

You could be right, Coastal.

Perhaps I (and others) have been Charlie Brown to the Whitecap ownership's Lucy and the football.

Up til this season I've been skeptical about the idea that the ownership just didn't care that much about winning.  But this season has caused me to rethink that.

So I'll be watching this offseason with some interest.

One thing - and maybe I'm grasping at straws here - but is it possible that the ownership has been economizing these last few seasons in order to build a warchest with which to create a solid contender?  Might they surprise us all with a high level signing?

4 hours ago, Brad Marchand said:

So they're saying the Whitecaps ownership is not only cheap but incompetent?

This just keeps getting better and better.

Well finally sounds like they have their guy. The keys in all this is how much  autonomy he will truly have and how much he can spend out of the pockets of the owners. If those two factors aren’t met with this hiring then it’ll be just another Paul Barber situation. We shall see but welcome Axel and all the best of luck.

https://www.whitecapsfc.com/post/2019/11/15/axel-schuster-sporting-director

• 4 weeks later...