The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Vancouver Whitecaps Thread

Tenacious

Maybe Whitecaps ownership can now afford to sign a few more players:

Charlotte Lands MLS Expansion Team as Panthers' Tepper Pays Record Entry Fee

Charlotte was awarded the league's latest expansion team on Tuesday and will join the league in 2021, a year before St. Louis and Sacramento round out the current, extended growth period. 

Inter Miami and Nashville SC will join the league for the 2020 season, giving MLS 26 teams for its landmark 25th campaign. Charlotte's to-be-named franchise will accompany Austin FC into the league in 2021, ensuring that the league retains an equal number of franchises during each year of growth.

The Charlotte bid, headed by Carolina Panthers owner and billionaire David Tepper, paid a reported $325 million entry fee, by far the most of any team in league history. Sacramento, the last team to get in, paid $200 million.

https://www.si.com/soccer/2019/12/17/charlotte-mls-expansion-team-tepper-glick-garber?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=SI Extra 121719&utm_term=SI Extra - USE THIS - List

On 12/14/2019 at 5:34 PM, x00x said:

6mil signing, im in shock if whitecaps go threw with it lol, musta hurt them bad to actually open there wallets 

that is the player transfer cost

he can be sold again and some of this money recovered

or even, ala, alphonso davies, be sold for a higher value

and the team can pocket some cash

not sure what his contract with club will be

he appears to have signed a 3 year deal

but the dollar value is not clear yet (to me anyway)

Edited by coastal.view

On 12/17/2019 at 2:43 PM, UnkNuk said:

Maybe Whitecaps ownership can now afford to sign a few more players:

Charlotte Lands MLS Expansion Team as Panthers' Tepper Pays Record Entry Fee

Charlotte was awarded the league's latest expansion team on Tuesday and will join the league in 2021, a year before St. Louis and Sacramento round out the current, extended growth period. 

Inter Miami and Nashville SC will join the league for the 2020 season, giving MLS 26 teams for its landmark 25th campaign. Charlotte's to-be-named franchise will accompany Austin FC into the league in 2021, ensuring that the league retains an equal number of franchises during each year of growth.

The Charlotte bid, headed by Carolina Panthers owner and billionaire David Tepper, paid a reported $325 million entry fee, by far the most of any team in league history. Sacramento, the last team to get in, paid $200 million.

https://www.si.com/soccer/2019/12/17/charlotte-mls-expansion-team-tepper-glick-garber?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=SI Extra 121719&utm_term=SI Extra - USE THIS - List

Smart business men are wasting a lot of money on a league that will not survive.  

• 3 weeks later...

Former Vancouver Whitecaps talent Alphonso Davies has picked up an individual honor to complete his first year at FC Bayern Munich.

On Friday, the club revealed Davies had been voted by supporters as player of the month for December, taking 41% of the vote and beating out globally known stars like Philippe Coutinho (32%) and Robert Lewandowski (16%

Since the end of October, the Canadian has played in all 13 of Bayern's competitive matches, not missing a single minute of game action while transitioning into a left back role for the defending Bundesliga champions.

He has four assists over that stretch.

Currently third in the Bundesliga and into the last 16 of the Champions League, Bayern will return from winter break when they play visit Hertha Berlin on Jan. 19.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

so caps appear to have done a fairly credible job this off season, compared to the last 2

but i would really like to see them sign a veteran mid fielder who can be the field general for this squad

the true team leader, captain, etc.   - likely will require a significant signing though

the caps need to start setting the pace in games

controlling the game

and give up the very heavy reliance on counter attacking soccer to get goals

that tactic of play is too easy to defend in meaningful games if the opposition has a disciplined quality squad

• Cheers 1

Okay, I'll admit it.  I've never heard of "Chicharito" until the last couple of days after the Galaxy signed him.  But, apparently, it's a huge signing for LA and the MLS.  At least according to MLS writer Andrew Wiebe:

"In relationships, in business, in soccer, timing is everything. For Chicharito, the LA Galaxy and Major League Soccer, the time is now.

After years of rumors, the spider web of interests finally aligned, and the result is the second-biggest signing* – not to be confused with most influential or most successful, TBD on those – in league history. Only David Beckham can eclipse the press blitz and media microscope that will follow Javier Hernandez’s every move in Los Angeles.

*For the record – and certainly up for debate – here’s how I’d rank the 10 “biggest” signings in MLS history. David Beckham is in his own category of fame. Other than Pibe, he begat every other name on the list.

David Beckham
Javier “Chicharito” Hernandez
Zlatan Ibrahimovic
Thierry Henry
Kaka
Wayne Rooney
Cuauhtemoc Blanco
Didier Drogba
Carlos Valderrama
Sebastian Giovinco"

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2020/01/21/where-javier-chicharito-hernandez-ranks-among-biggest-mls-transfers-ever-andrew?%243p=e_et&%24original_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.mlssoccer.com%2Fpost%2F2020%2F01%2F21%2Fwhere-javier-chicharito-hernandez-ranks-among-biggest-mls-transfers-ever-andrew&utm_source=TWIM&utm_medium=Email&utm_content=TwimStory1&utm_campaign=MLSTWIM20200123&_branch_match_id=301427422275695578

@UnkNuk Surpised you'd never heard of Chicharito before considering he spent six years with Man U and started in the 2011 Champions League final as their centre forward.

He's probably the most prolific Mexican player in history. Not a huge coincidence he signed in a market like LA. He'll be treated like a hero there.

22 minutes ago, Brad Marchand said:

@UnkNuk Surpised you'd never heard of Chicharito before considering he spent six years with Man U and started in the 2011 Champions League final as their centre forward.

He's probably the most prolific Mexican player in history. Not a huge coincidence he signed in a market like LA. He'll be treated like a hero there.

Looks like it's already started:

On 1/22/2020 at 4:50 PM, coastal.view said:

so caps appear to have done a fairly credible job this off season, compared to the last 2

but i would really like to see them sign a veteran mid fielder who can be the field general for this squad

the true team leader, captain, etc.   - likely will require a significant signing though

the caps need to start setting the pace in games

controlling the game

and give up the very heavy reliance on counter attacking soccer to get goals

that tactic of play is too easy to defend in meaningful games if the opposition has a disciplined quality squad

Here's what Matthew Doyle, columnist for the MLS website has to say about the Whitecaps heading into this season:

Vancouver Whitecaps

The Offseason So Far: First things first: Lucas Cavallini is a great signing for pretty much every reason. I am excited he is in the league and the 'Caps are to be congratulated for getting him here.

Now let's talk about service. Talk and talk and talk, courtesy of our friends at Eight-Six Forever. They went DEEP on Vancouver's lineup shortcomings and needs:

So, You Want to Talk About Service? https://t.co/0TVqAUbEDj via @86forever

— Eighty Six Forever (@86forever) January 2, 2020

The simple version is this: Cavallini looks like a great centerpiece, but this roster is short on chance creators and showed no way, last year, or generating danger by becoming greater than the sum of their parts. Maybe it's a pure talent issue – one that would be exacerbated if Yordy Reyna does indeed leave – and maybe one or two new attacking additions would mitigate that.

Hopefully, anyway.

The other issue to talk about is that backline. There are reports that they'll be able to bring Erik Godoy back permanently, which would help, but they'd still need to add depth pieces there and at both fullback positions. And at some point they should get a third goalkeeper onto the roster.

So, as seems to be the case every offseason for the 'Caps, there's plenty of work to do. But at least the hard part – getting a player like Cavallini to be the No. 9 – is already done.

January 22 Update: The "Service????" question looks like it's being answered, bit by bit. Winger Ryan Raposo was the No. 4 overall SuperDraft pick, and he's got a chance to make an immediate impact. Reyna is still there and the whispers of him leaving have slowly quieted. They added winger Cristian Dajome, who's been moderately productive in his home country's league, and Ghanaian No. 8 Leonard Owusu.

This is optimistic, though. Reyna's never been more than an average MLS attacker in his three years, Raposo is a rookie and Dajome's resume is shorter than – to pick two not-entirely-at-random-examples – Lass Bangoura or Lucas Venuto. Nobody here is a sure thing.

They also need one more center back and at least one more right back.

And oh yeah, if Inbeom Hwang is indeed off to the Bundesliga this summer (as is being rumored), things could get mighty tricky up in B.C.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2020/01/07/armchair-analyst-roster-build-status-western-conference-ahead-2020-season?%243p=e_et&%24original_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.mlssoccer.com%2Fpost%2F2020%2F01%2F07%2Farmchair-analyst-roster-build-status-western-conference-ahead-2020-season&utm_source=TWIM&utm_medium=Email&utm_content=TwimStory3&utm_campaign=MLSTWIM20200123&_branch_match_id=301427422275695578

• 2 weeks later...

MLS and the players' union have reached an agreement:

"MLS and the MLS Players Association on Thursday morning announced that they have reached “an agreement in principle” on a new, five-year CBA that will run through the 2024 season and expire in January 2025. It’ll still need to be formally approved by the league and union, but progress was sufficient to prompt commissioner Don Garber to say that the deal “addresses key strategic priorities for the league and our players,” and “will serve as the foundation for a new era of partnership.” "

https://www.si.com/soccer/2020/02/06/mls-cba-agreed-owners-players-association-2024-details?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=SI Extra 020620&utm_term=SI Extra - USE THIS - List

50 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

Is this a joke?  Powder blue?  Seriously?  My God these are ... I can’t say what I want to, because I eat cats. 

On 2/6/2020 at 3:18 PM, Alflives said:

Is this a joke?  Powder blue?  Seriously?  My God these are ... I can’t say what I want to, because I eat cats. 

yeah

and they should ban players wearing neon green shoes with that kit

why would they post that pic with those shoes

when they unveil the new jersey ??

Edited by coastal.view

On 2/6/2020 at 3:18 PM, Alflives said:

called whitecaps milking the community for w/e money they can, and the gullible southsiders will feed into it

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 2/8/2020 at 6:40 PM, coastal.view said:

yeah

and they should ban players wearing neon green shoes with that kit

why would they post that pic with those shoes

when they unveil the new jersey ??

nothing wrong with the black ones they had last year, just need a better team wearing em, i have some hopes with recent sigings, so time will tell, but the new unis is just garbage 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, x00x said:

called whitecaps milking the community for w/e money they can, and the gullible southsiders will feed into it

I just wish the Whitecaps just stick with one jersey for at least 10+ years.  

I'm not too familiar with soccer jerseys of Europe, but either than sponsors, they remain the same, right?