The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Vancouver Whitecaps Thread

Tenacious

3 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

I'm guessing most people here are too young to remember Soccer Bowl '79 but it was one of the biggest events for Vancouver sporting fans ever.  That and some of the BC Lions early Grey Cup wins when the CFL was a bigger deal than it is now.

The Canucks Stanley Cup runs were exciting but they failed to bring home the prize.

Phil Parkes, Kevin Hector, Alan Ball, Tony Waiters.......the memories.   :towel:

Trevor Whymark, and his ‘magic’ sponge.  

Wee Willie Johnson and his beer chugging.  

I am remembering that the guys had lots of character.  

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

I'm guessing most people here are too young to remember Soccer Bowl '79 but it was one of the biggest events for Vancouver sporting fans ever.  That and some of the BC Lions early Grey Cup wins when the CFL was a bigger deal than it is now.

The Canucks Stanley Cup runs were exciting but they failed to bring home the prize.

Phil Parkes, Kevin Hector, Alan Ball, Tony Waiters.......the memories.   :towel:

I remember all of those...and Trevor Whymark, who scored both goals in the Soccer Bowl win over Tampa Bay....

Correct me if I'm wrong...wasn't that where the clueless American announcer called it the Village of Vancouver?

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I remember all of those...and Trevor Whymark, who scored both goals in the Soccer Bowl win over Tampa Bay....

Correct me if I'm wrong...wasn't that where the clueless American announcer called it the Village of Vancouver?

Close, but it was in the semi-finals against the Cosmos.

And the 'clueless American announcer" was none other than Jim McKay, the host of "Wide World of Sports"!

But for as shocking as it was for the Cosmos, the result was immeasurable for the legacy of the Whitecaps. Late ABC broadcaster Jim McKay’s comment that “Vancouver must be like a deserted village right now” became an infamous rallying cry of the underdogs (even though he was referring to the masses glued to their TVs in their living rooms).

https://www.whitecapsfc.com/post/2011/02/11/throw-shocker-made-vancouver

It's funny, though,  I remember the "village" comment in a different way.  Like you said - "the village of Vancouver".

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

15 hours ago, Mj2345 said:

Tomorrow nights Game is going to be a tough one for the Caps, they play Seattle

Lets be honest....they're all tough ones....

Stealth has the right of it...we're going to continue watching the Caps assemble mediocre (at best) rosters until someone who actually cares about putting a winning team on the pitch buys the team....

• Cheers 1

On 6/25/2021 at 1:20 PM, UnkNuk said:

Sitting at Empire stadium watching Peter Lorimer come off the bench, hobbling around with injury; yet still smoke the ball from 40 feet inside his half of the field. Bang, off the crossbar.

Thunderfoot indeed.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

On 6/25/2021 at 1:20 PM, UnkNuk said:

..don't forget John Craven, he was a beast.

• Cheers 1

On the bright side, the Whitecaps managed a draw against another team that's higher in the standings than they are.  (Okay, Dallas is only ahead by two points, but they're still ahead!)

All things considered, they were lucky to come away with the one point.  I thought Dallas had most of the play - especially in the last twenty to twenty-five minutes when the Caps decided to go into their dreaded defensive shell again.

Anyways, back to Salt Lake for a home game Wednesday against............Salt Lake.  Screwy season.

And they'll be missing Cavallini and Crepeau who will be with the Men's National Team for the CONCACAF Gold Cup competition.  Which can create mixed feelings - on the one hand, it's disappointing they won't be with the Caps.  On the other, I hope the MNT has a long run in the Gold Cup.

On 7/4/2021 at 9:35 PM, UnkNuk said:

On the bright side, the Whitecaps managed a draw against another team that's higher in the standings than they are.  (Okay, Dallas is only ahead by two points, but they're still ahead!)

All things considered, they were lucky to come away with the one point.  I thought Dallas had most of the play - especially in the last twenty to twenty-five minutes when the Caps decided to go into their dreaded defensive shell again.

Anyways, back to Salt Lake for a home game Wednesday against............Salt Lake.  Screwy season.

And they'll be missing Cavallini and Crepeau who will be with the Men's National Team for the CONCACAF Gold Cup competition.  Which can create mixed feelings - on the one hand, it's disappointing they won't be with the Caps.  On the other, I hope the MNT has a long run in the Gold Cup.

You're correct.....but the 'Caps conceding in stoppage time has basically become like death and taxes....

Only this time, they did it themselves. :picard:

I don't mean to pile on Dos Santos, but those substitutions worked out spectacularly poorly....White was horrific in Cavalini's spot....looked like he was dribbling a bomb...and what can you say about Veselenovic? On the pitch for a couple of minutes and manages to nod one in his own net....:wacko:

Edited by RUPERTKBD
  • Cheers 1

I know game schedules have been a bit tricky to find, so for those that might be unaware, the 'Caps take on RSL tonight at 7:00 on TSN.

Don't quote me on this, but I believe I heard the announcers at the last game say that Vancouver is the "home" team for this one, even though the match is being played at Rio Tinto.....

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I know game schedules have been a bit tricky to find, so for those that might be unaware, the 'Caps take on RSL tonight at 7:00 on TSN.

Don't quote me on this, but I believe I heard the announcers at the last game say that Vancouver is the "home" team for this one, even though the match is being played at Rio Tinto.....

Yes Caps play all their home games in Utah this year

• Cheers 1

44 minutes ago, Mj2345 said:

Yes Caps play all their home games in Utah this year

Yeah, I knew that...I just couldn't find anything online that stated which of the two teams were the "home" team for this match. I was going from memory of what I thought I heard during the last broadcast.

• Cheers 1