The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Vancouver Whitecaps Thread

Tenacious

On 9/3/2021 at 10:38 AM, Mj2345 said:

Are any of the future Games going to be played at BC Place? Yesterday was in Toronto and so is the El Salvador game on Wednesday

As well as the games you mentioned, the Oct 13 game against Panama will be in Toronto.  After that, near as I can make out, it's still to be detemined where the later games will be played.

https://www.tsn.ca/fifa-world-cup-qualifying-canada-soccer-1.1679792

• Cheers 1

Well, the Whitecaps were in a playoff position for about an hour.  But RSL's victory over Dallas allowed them to leapfrog the Caps by one point into seventh place.

Currently, six points seperate #5 from #11 in the West.

The remaining twelve games should be a hoot.

Sam Jones, an American, writes an MLS e-newsletter called "The Daily Kickoff".  In todays issue he talks about the importance of home games in Concacaf and I got a laugh out of these bits:

"In perhaps the most bizarre and unpredictable qualifying region in the world, you, to be blunt, have to take advantage of the games where the chance a bag of urine gets thrown at your head is lower than 1%." 

He then goes on about the relative peaceful atmosphere at US home games:

"With apologies to Nashville, I just can't imagine the atmosphere in the Music City will be quite as hostile as what went down at Estadio Cuscatlan in San Salvador. There will, unfortunately for the viewing public, be a noticeable lack of riot shields held up to protect players on corners. Although, now that I'm thinking about it, maybe there should be. I never actually saw anything get thrown toward any USMNT players on Thursday. What if everyone had just agreed to not throw anything but still hold up the riot shields anyway as a piece of psychological warfare. The US needs to find some dudes to hold riot shields immediately. Poor Alistair Johnson might be slightly confused why Nashville fans have turned on him so quickly, but thems the breaks kid."

10 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

An away draw?  We'll take it!

But I actually thought that Canada was going to win.

Hope Alfonso is okay.

Now, if we can win Wednesday against El Salvador we'll have 5 points from the first three games.  A decent start.

Truly was a winnable game. I'm not much of a "football" fan, especially because Canada has NEVER had a team as promising as this. So much yute and speed, like we've never seen before. The setup by Alphonso took the life out of the Americans, and their outside speed could have created at least 3 goals had a Canadian been in the box. The fact that the subs they put into the game, and the Canadian side didn't lose a step is especially promising.

• Cheers 2

And so after the first three games the standings are:

image.png.3fb716e4b7191e3556fdbee4713ebc0c.png

Would've been nice to win that first game against Honduras and be tied for first.  But, tied for second, it's a good start.

The surprise in these early days is Jamaica at the bottom of the table with 1 point.

The October games are away to Mexico (!), away to Jamaica (hope they continue their slump) and home to Panama (who are doing surprisingly well).

Hopefully Alfonso is recovered and back with the team.

Edited by UnkNuk
  • Cheers 1

A disappointing 0-1 loss.

The Caps seemed off for almost the whole game.  No real threats on goal until the final minutes.

The streak had to end some time, I guess.   

Next week it's down ot Colorado to play one of the best teams in the league.  That should tell us something more about this team.

• Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

A 1-1 draw away to Colorado is not a bad result.  

Leaves the Caps four points out of a playoff spot with ten games remaining.

Should be a dogfight for the rest of the season.

I liked the fact that Sartini went with White and Cavallini for a stretch in the second half....nice to see the side go for a road win, rather than be content with the draw.

It didn't work out, but I applaud the decision anyway.

• Cheers 1

Well, I was just about ready to see Patrick Metcalfe drawn and quartered.   But Crepeau saved his bacon.  What a finish!

A necessary win.  The Caps are tied for eighth place with San Jose and LAFC, all of them three points behind RSL and the last playoff spot.  But the Caps have a game in hand over the other three teams. 

More and more, it seems to me that Cavallini isn't getting the job done.  3 goals in 15 games just doesn't do it for a forward who is a designated player and who's getting paid a million bucks a year.

I thought Ryan Gauld didn't dominate in today's game.  Which is news because, thus far, he has.

Up next, Houston on Wednesday.

10 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

Well, I was just about ready to see Patrick Metcalfe drawn and quartered.   But Crepeau saved his bacon.  What a finish!

A necessary win.  The Caps are tied for eighth place with San Jose and LAFC, all of them three points behind RSL and the last playoff spot.  But the Caps have a game in hand over the other three teams. 

More and more, it seems to me that Cavallini isn't getting the job done.  3 goals in 15 games just doesn't do it for a forward who is a designated player and who's getting paid a million bucks a year.

I thought Ryan Gauld didn't dominate in today's game.  Which is news because, thus far, he has.

Up next, Houston on Wednesday.

Did he ever! I have to say, this might be the most skilled Whitecap's team ever.

34 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

Did he ever! I have to say, this might be the most skilled Whitecap's team ever.

Yup.  Skill like the glory days of ‘79.  I only wish we had a proper grass field for the guys to play, so they could really display their skills.  

• Cheers 1