The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Vancouver Whitecaps Thread

Tenacious

I think Bell should do more for the Whitecaps in stores. I was walking around Richmond Centre today and they have a Bell store and a kiosk. It would be nice to see whitecaps stuff in the stores or kiosk. I don't necessarily mean selling kits, but maybe have stuff on the walls like posters or pictures.

New center back added: Mouloud Akloul

http://www.whitecapsfc.com/news/2011/03/whitecaps-fc-add-centre-back-mouloud-akloul-0

Akloul, 28, joins Whitecaps FC's MLS roster after coming through a frustrating 2010 season with the Blue and White. After initially joining the club for last year's USSF D-2 Pro League campaign on April 8, the native of Lorient, France, suffered a fracture to his left ankle after scoring the match winner in his Vancouver debut on April 24, as the 'Caps defeated Athletic Club of St. Louis 1-0. Though the injury restricted the defender to just two appearances for the club last season, Akloul has since recovered to be become part of Vancouver's inaugural MLS season.

New center back added: Mouloud Akloul

http://www.whitecapsfc.com/news/2011/03/whitecaps-fc-add-centre-back-mouloud-akloul-0

Akloul, 28, joins Whitecaps FC's MLS roster after coming through a frustrating 2010 season with the Blue and White. After initially joining the club for last year's USSF D-2 Pro League campaign on April 8, the native of Lorient, France, suffered a fracture to his left ankle after scoring the match winner in his Vancouver debut on April 24, as the 'Caps defeated Athletic Club of St. Louis 1-0. Though the injury restricted the defender to just two appearances for the club last season, Akloul has since recovered to be become part of Vancouver's inaugural MLS season.

Akloul will form an excellent tandem with Demerit. Demerit is more of a hard-nosed d-man, whereas Akloul is a little more dynamic and can really push the ball forward even from the CB position. Really excited to see him in the line-up soon.

It'll be nice when the CB's are healthy and you have a guy with the quality of Janicki as your back-up.

You're talking about Barcelona CF

There's some soccer club that puts on UNICEF from the front.

Corporate sponsorship helps pay off expenses.

The soccer club wearing UNICEF is currently having financial difficulties...

It seems inevitable.

For those who are "soccer rookies"...

Soccer clubs the world over have had corporate logos on their jerseys for a long long time.. In fact when a team does not have a jersey sponsor,

they are seen as not really a pro team.. Such as the whitecaps when they were in USL last year, they did not have a jersey sponsor. To die hard soccer

fans, not only here but to the rest of the world,.. not having a sponsor logo looks kind of amature, because it means you aren't a big enough team to get a sponsor.

As a soccer fan myself for a long time, that's how I see it now.. To me a club jersey is almost incomplete without a sponsor.

To a soccer newbie/rookie, this might seem wierd at 1st,.. Just like to a soccer fan going to a 1st hockey game would find it really wierd how they have to

interrupt the play of a hockey game just for commercials on tv. Doesn't make sense to a hockey fan rookie,.. just like it doesn't make sense to a soccer fan

rookie, that there are sponsor logos on soccer kits.

Here's a termanology guide for you:

Other Sports play on a Field / Soccer is played on a pitch

Hockey has goaltenders, goalies / soccer has goalkeepers, keepers

Hockey has forwards / Soccer has midfielders & strikers

Hockey has defencemen / Soccer has left back, center back, right back

Hockey has a farm team / Soccer has a reserve league

Hockey has a penalty shot / Soccer has a penalty kick or simply a "penalty"

Hockey has a national team appearance / Soccer has a "cap"

Hockey wingers pass the puck to the slot / Soccer wingers cross/center the ball into the box

Hockey has opening faceoff / Soccer has kickoff

Hockey leagues have games / Soccer leagues have matches

Hockey Goalies have a crease / Soccer keepers have a penalty area

Hockey & Soccer both have: Hat Tricks / Shots / Shooting on net / Shutouts

Hockey gives 2 points for a win / Soccer gives 3 points for a win

Hockey fights happen on the ice / Soccer fights happen in the stands

Hockey fans only chant when the team scores / Soccer fans chant non-stop for 90 minutes.

I don't want to look like I work for BELL.

;)

And if BELL ends their sponsorship with Whitecaps...then it will really look dumb.

• Upvote 3

Totally agree with you...

I was thinking the same thing... Its great marketing cuz everytime I see 'Bell" I think Whitecaps,.. and vice versa..

R.

I think Bell should do more for the Whitecaps in stores. I was walking around Richmond Centre today and they have a Bell store and a kiosk. It would be nice to see whitecaps stuff in the stores or kiosk. I don't necessarily mean selling kits, but maybe have stuff on the walls like posters or pictures.

I just checked the team site, no update yet. Anybody here got any whiff on whether DeMerit will play on Saturday?

Demerit and Chiumiento are "doubtful" according to Marc Weber and "questionable" according to the Whitecaps officials that John Molinaro spoke to.

I just checked the team site, no update yet. Anybody here got any whiff on whether DeMerit will play on Saturday?

I'd probably say he won't play, based on what's been released. Playing with a groin injury is tough in soccer and the last thing we want is for him to fully injure it. We have enough injuries to worry about right now.

This is all purely my speculation though...

Another difference:

hockey : give-and-go

soccer: 1-2

Onto the sponsorship thing, one year, Real Madrid's own website was their "sponsor" I know, because I bought a Figo jersey, and on the front it said "RealMadrid.com" and for a while Barcelona had nothing.

It seems as though Chiumiento is the straw that stirs the Whitecaps drink.........

I'm so pumped about the 'caps being in the MLS it makes me want to move to Van from Vic. <$400 for season's tickets? Yes, pl0x.

That said, as a first-time-actually-paying-attention-to-every-game-fan, it looks like we've actually got a lot of firepower up front which should make for interesting matches (and jersey options, though it's hard not to just get a Chiumiento thus far).

My link

Camilo named MLS Player of the Week

Major League Soccer announced today that Vancouver Whitecaps FC striker Camilo has been named the league's Player of the Week for Week Three. The Brazilian attacker earned the weekly award as voted on by North American Soccer Reporters (NASR).

Making his first start in MLS on Saturday, the 22-year-old made himself an instant Whitecaps FC hero with two goals and one assist to earn a 3-3 draw with Sporting Kansas City at Empire Field.

The South American's first two goals for the Blue and White were all the more dramatic after Vancouver needed to come from three goals down to earn a point on the Pacific National Exhibition grounds in East Vancouver, having done so in the most thrilling of styles.

Trailing 3-1 to Sporting KC in five minutes of time added on at the end of the second half, Camilo scored his first goal for the club from a Davide Chiumiento pass before scoring the equalizer with a brilliant far-post header from Nizar Khalfan's well-executed cross for the 3-3 result.

Congrats! It's like every time he touched the ball, you knew he was dangerous and was going to do something special.

Yes it's early, but a forward group consisting of Hassli, Harris, Salgado and Camilo should be able to keep the Whitecaps consistently potting goals. Early predictions have Hassli/Camilo starting Wednesday against New England, but I'm not sure if I agree. Harris's athleticism and ball-winning capabilities are very important to our offense.

I do think the Whitecaps could use another central attacking midfield though, or another right midfielder so that you can push Chiumiento inside. I like Dunfield and he delivered a nice ball to Chiumiento on the 2nd goal, but I want to see little more offensive flair from that spot. The team struggled against KC in consistently moving the ball before Chiumiento/Khaflan were subbed on and I think Wagner really struggled at LM.

Also, it looks to me like Khalfan is more suited to the subs role and it also allows his pace to become more of an advantage. He's too inconsistent off the ball at this point to be a starter.

Edited by Gnickers87