The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Changes Needed - Merged

C.Schneider

The best case is to totally suck next season, so we have a shot at McDavid.

Prentending that we can get this done with the Sedins is folly. And Kesler isn't going to be able to do it either as an island. With all due respect, we've already seen the best of these players. If we were serious about winning with them post-2011, we'd have given them far more significant help from within or via trade by now.

Good thing this is just your speculation. I rather not see Gillis next year.

The best case is to totally suck next season, so we have a shot at McDavid.

Prentending that we can get this done with the Sedins is folly. And Kesler isn't going to be able to do it either as an island. With all due respect, we've already seen the best of these players. If we were serious about winning with them post-2011, we'd have given them far more significant help from within or via trade by now.

I want to clarify that this is not what I want to happen, but is most likely to transpire. Gillis will point to obvious precedents in Pittsburgh, Chicago, Detroit etc and draw specific examples from each that he's been able to emulate, and build a solid case for staying the course.

I fully expect him to be loyal to the Sedin's and and the existing defensive core, getting what he can for Kesler when the time is right. I don't want Gillis to be here, but I expect him to be.

We'll never be an elite team with the Sedins at the helm leading the charge as they are right now, that time has come and gone, but I fully believe that we can at the very least be a competitive team, making the playoffs year in, year out in the 6-8 seed in the West, and so long as that continues to be the trend AQ will not get rid of Gillis, though I do believe that he is going to be kept on a bit of a shorter leash, I don't think we'll see many if any premiere players attained through UFA, I think Garrison was his last "big" signing.

It's going to be a long slow road to recovery, who knows what will happen but I always expect the worst with this team and AQ has been nothing if consistent since owning the team.

I know according to some this board is alive with budding Einsteins and genius IQ. To say a monkey could do better makes makes a farce of visiting this site.

Here's some information regarding Mike Gillis....not every ones idea of greatness but closer than most posters will ever achieve

and I quote

Found a few little things about MG I thought some might find kinda cool.

Fist off, I know most of you already know he is also a lawyer. He received his law degree from Queens University and is among some pretty impressive Alumni

* David Allgood (LL.B. 1974) -- Senior Vice President - Corporate Taxation, RBC

* Michael Beatty (LL.B. 1994) -- CEO of Praetorian Trust Company

* Christopher J. Pratt (LL.B. 1980) -- Founder of Vella & Pratt PC

* Justice Harvey Brownstone (LL.B. 1980) -- Ontario Provincial Court Justice and author of "Tug of War"

* Jock Climie (LL.B. 1998) -- Lawyer, former CFL player

* Justice Thomas A. Cromwell (LL.B. 1976) -- Current Supreme Court of Canada Justice

* Douglas Cunningham (LL.B. 1967) -- Lawyer and Ontario Superior Court Justice

* Justice David Stratas (LL.B. 1984) -- Current Federal Court of Appeal Justice

* Justice Nancy Flatters (LL.B. 1981)

* Mike Gillis (LL.B. 1989) -- General Manager of the Vancouver Canucks

* Yolande James (LL.B. 2003) -- First black Minister in the province of Quebec

* David Lloyd Johnston (LL.B. 1966) -- President of the University of Waterloo [3]

* Justice Jean MacFarland (LL.B. 1971) -- Court of Appeal for Ontario

* John Sims (LL.B.) -- Deputy Attorney General for Canada

* David Paul Smith (LL.B. 1970) -- Canadian Senator

I didn't know this, but he also later taught sports law.

In 2002 he wrote $39,450,000 (US) worth of NHL contracts alone and was considered to be one of the NHL's "super agents" . Instead of a lavish office, Gillis worked alone in the spare room of his family home at an antique wooden dinner table. His tools were basic: laptop, cellphone, office phone, fax machine.

He had a rep as being an absolute Pit bull in the business world. "The agent business is full of guys with (guts)," says one high-ranking NHL management figure. "But Mike Gillis has the (most guts) of all."

He once sued director of the NHLPA, player agent, lawyer and friend/advisor Alan Eagleson for trying to screw him out of $41,250. He won. It ended up costing Alan Eagleson

$520,000 laugh.gif Don't mess with big Mike biggrin.gif

He Was finalist candidate for job as Atlanta Thrashers' first general manager, but lost out to Don Waddell in June 1998.

He was a first round( 5th overall) draft pick, and played 246 NHL games with the Colorado Rockies and the Boston Bruins. On top of playing forward, he also played defense. Looks a little different without those bags under his eyes tongue.gif

78005.jpg

His little brother Paul Gillis played in the NHL as well. A second round (#34 overall) draft pick, he played 12 seasons and 624 games between the Quebec Nordiques, Chicago Blackhawks and Hartford Whalers. Just like Mike, he is still involved in hockey. He is currently Head Coach and director of hockey operations for the Odessa Jackalopes of the CHL.

gillis.jpggillis.jpgphotoacopy9293gillis.jpg

His wife (Diane Coffey) is a former a long-jumper at the University of Tennessee

I really think we have a guy who understands not only the business from a gm standpoint, but from every angle possible. I really can't imagine finding a guy more talented for this position. Sports law expert, Super agent, and a former NHL player that played both forward and defense in the NHL. It doesn't get better in terms of experience. I really think given the fact he had excelled at everything he has done in life, he will bring us a cup. There is nothing about the world of professional hockey that Mike Gillis doesn't understand.

Now over to you what exactly are your credentials. Gillis was a high lever 1st round pick in the NHL, studied law, taught sports law. A smart man that I believe is not a reactionary and thinks in terms of probably 5 years ahead. He has achieved during his time in Vcr more succeess tha ANY OTHER PREVIOUS GM.

And some chicken brains want to fire him...it shows more about the quality of the posts on the forum than about MG

Thanks for your bio, Mike. Interesting read.

Archived