The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

European Union / U.S.A. Debt Crisis

key2thecup

Why is the Greek Conservative Opposition against the austerity measures is beyond me. Aren't conservatives supposed to be fiscally responsible or is that a myth? Or the Greek Conservatives opposing the measures just for the sake of opposition? What do the Greek politcial opposition want anyway?

Why is the Greek Conservative Opposition against the austerity measures is beyond me. Aren't conservatives supposed to be fiscally responsible or is that a myth? Or the Greek Conservatives opposing the measures just for the sake of opposition? What do the Greek politcial opposition want anyway?

"Too big to fail" is the problem of dealing with Greece. Too much foreign money lies in that country. All of their debt is held by foreign banks. They fail all that foreign money fails. Many of those foreign banks fail. That includes Banks in Canada and the US. Greece HAS to be propped up because the financial penalty for them defaulting would be disastrous to a world economy still weakened by dealing with the ongoing financial crisis. The interconnectedness of all things.

Im beginning to believe that maybe post industrial economies cant be sustained over the long term.

P.S. A lot of people are using the term 'GIVING Greece money" when really it is "LENDING Greece money" the current and future bailouts are not free money. They are loans. Like borrowing on credit card C to make the monthly payments on cards A and B. Fun times.

I would think they'll just develop a strategy (since it's never been done before) to kick Greece out since they lied to get around the criteria for being accepted into the union.

The Euro isn't bad, but apparently they need a much better screening process.

I mean c'mon...fear the Greeks even when they bring gifts.

I would think they'll just develop a strategy (since it's never been done before) to kick Greece out since they lied to get around the criteria for being accepted into the union.

The Euro isn't bad, but apparently they need a much better screening process.

I mean c'mon...fear the Greeks even when they bring gifts.

Looks like Portugal will be the next to blow

Portugal's debt downgraded to Junk

Analysis: Portugal poisoned by Greece in cut to junk status

(Reuters) - A downgrade of Portugal's credit rating to junk status underlines how the Greek crisis is poisoning other weak countries in the euro zone, regardless of their own efforts to shrink their debt and return to growth.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/07/06/us-portugal-rating-poison-idUSTRE76545720110706

How did Greece not meet the criteria to join the EU?

Greece joined the European Union on Jan 1 1981. Its been in for 30 years. The exact criteria for entering the union was not introduced in legal format until the Copenhagen criteria was introduced and defined at the 1993 Copenhagen European Council.

So just give up on them and the hundreds of billions of euros they owe other union countries? If Greece fails on a major level and stops paying its debts altogether the damage may be in the trillions to Countries and banks around the globe (you know, the people actually holding their debt). Its far to late to just kick them out now.

Archived