The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

European Union / U.S.A. Debt Crisis

key2thecup

Well hindsight being 20/20 and all yeah. Deregulating the banks was a huge mistake. Im sure those who fought against it arent having much fun saying "I told you so".

The Financial Services Modernization Act of 1999 (which shredded what was left of the Glass-Steagall Act) can be seen as one of Bill Clintons worst moves as President. There was over $300 million spent by the banks on lobbyists and campaign contributions in 97 and 98 to get that act passed through. A few people have made a lot of money. Most people have been F***** over though.

Well hindsight being 20/20 and all yeah. Deregulating the banks was a huge mistake. Im sure those who fought against it arent having much fun saying "I told you so".

The Financial Services Modernization Act of 1999 (which shredded what was left of the Glass-Steagall Act) can be seen as one of Bill Clintons worst moves as President. There was over $300 million spent by the banks on lobbyists and campaign contributions in 97 and 98 to get that act passed through. A few people have made a lot of money. Most people have been F***** over though.

I met someone the other day who is doing their PHD at UBC and is an advocate of "social justice" issues. She regularly goes out and protests various left leaning agendas. She's 27 years old, working a part time near entry level job, her tuition is 12,000 dollars a year which she has taken out numerous student loans for. She had the audacity to preach to me and a few others about how the government doesn't do enough for the disabled and the marginalized in society and that the "rich" should be taxed more to help those less fortunate...

I don't even know why I'm writing this, I just felt like ranting and getting the absurdity of it all off my chest. The sense of entitlement in the west has is dangerous to the sustainability of our society. Can we not all agree that governments should follow the basic principal of not running deficits that have no end in sight? I feel ostracized when I voice the opinion that services need to be cut back that we can't afford.

Archived