The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Joseph LaBate | C/LW

b3.

17 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

Good call man. Also, just wanted to let you know I appreciate your insight about the team in Utica. As a west coast inhabitant I don't have the chance to watch as many Utica games as I would like. It's nice having a reliable sources providing updates at the farm.

Surely a Comets broadcast would make financial sense ? Haven't seen our AHL team on TV since Chicago Wolves days.( might have been very early Utica games ) Only got to see those because we were playing the Toronto Marlies.

2 minutes ago, SingleThorn said:

Surely a Comets broadcast would make financial sense ? Haven't seen our AHL team on TV since Chicago Wolves days.( might have been very early Utica games ) Only got to see those because we were playing the Toronto Marlies.

Yeah, it really would. At least some kind of online stream through the official canucks website. Maybe it has more to do with Utica on their end? Or maybe up until recently fans were not as engaged in the AHL in Vancouver as they are now.

Not surprised, he's peaked as a player. In his 2016-17 stint he didn't really show enough at the NHL level beyond being willing to fight and wear a jersey - just not fast enough to stay involved in the play, and lacks the puck skills to make things happen around him. He's capable as a third line AHLer when healthy, has a nice shot and can be a nuisance in front of the net but with some the younger talent coming into the Comets lineup next year, it just doesn't make much sense to keep him around.

35 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

Yeah, it really would. At least some kind of online stream through the official canucks website. Maybe it has more to do with Utica on their end? Or maybe up until recently fans were not as engaged in the AHL in Vancouver as they are now.

My guess is the AHL contract with Neulion (AHL Live) gives them exclusive rights for online streaming.  Toronto and Chicago have games broadcasted on cable but teams have the ability to set up TV deals outside of the Neulion streaming contract.

Just now, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Maybe retain him under a contract with Utica Comets.  If he shows well he could re-earn another contract with us.

He was on pace for a career year with Utica before he got hurt in January.  Considering how much we lack size, and how Baters will like be desperate for a pro contract, they can make a decent negotiation deal without committing too much. 

At one time I wanted to trade for Matt Moulson so we could have Moulson and LaBate but that ship has sailed.

Worth freeing up this contract to sign someone who has a chance of filling the tough guy big man role with some success.

5 hours ago, SingleThorn said:

There is one because it does make sense.   AHL packages are available in Europe and North America.   You can get every game for every team.   It is reasonable and decent picture quality.    I have used this for a while and really like it. 

https://ahl.neulion.com/ahl/schedule?month=4/2018

On 6/20/2018 at 12:24 PM, shayster007 said:

It's not like we don't have three sports radio stations, one of which seems to always be broadcasting (yawn) baseball. 

Down to two soon, but one of those is also doing baseball.  Really, does anyone listen to that?  It's boring enough just to watch.

• 1 month later...

Archived