The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Joseph LaBate | C/LW

b3.

But in the last interview it's says his favourite hockey memory was getting drafted

well then, i guess not. still at least he is consistent. i mean he was JUST drafted, and it was already reported the sharks were his favorite team before the draft, I'm sure that will change.

• 2 weeks later...

Badgers are up 3-2 on North Dakota after two periods, despite being outshot 32-10. Labate has a goal in the game bringing his season total to 2 G, 3 A, with a period to go in this one. That's half of Patrick White's entire season point total from last year.

Live updates here for anyone who wants to follow along: http://www.uwbadgers.com/gametracker/launch/gt_mhockey.html?event=1002261&school=wis&sport=mhockey&camefrom=&startschool=&

• 3 weeks later...

Joseph finished the weekend with 3 points (1+2) in two games against North Dakota. He [Joseph] is currently tied for second place on the team for points, with 6 [2+4].

heads up! joes plain against the gophers on the big 10 network rite now

• 3 weeks later...

3 goals, 8 assists for 11 points in 16 games played so far. Really not a bad showing in his first year of college hockey so far.

LaBate is 5th in scoring for the Badgers while being the second youngest player on the team. He is currently tied for 5th in points and 3rd in assists amongst WCHA rookies.

Obviously both Joseph LaBate and Patrick McNally are playing their rookie season in the NCAA, but I noticed that LaBate plays in the WCHA while McNally plays in the ECAC. LaBate as a forward in the WCHA has put up 3G8A11P in 16GP while McNally as a defenseman in the ECAC has put up 2G7A9P in 9GP.

Question I wanted to ask is which league is harder? Is Joseph's production lower than Patrick because the WCHA has harder competition than the ECAC, or is Patrick just on a torrent pace? Or does Harvard, McNally's team, have a stacked squad compared to Wisconsin, LaBate's team?

LaBate's numbers are nothing to frown at for a rookie in the NCAA, but in comparison to McNally, it seems a little low seeing as McNally has him beat in PPG as a defenseman.

Just wondering what the competition level for both leagues are like and how the NCAA works in general I guess.

And as a sidenote, LaBate is a 1993-born rookie in the NCAA. McNally is a 1991-born rookie in NCAA.

Obviously both Joseph LaBate and Patrick McNally are playing their rookie season in the NCAA, but I noticed that LaBate plays in the WCHA while McNally plays in the ECAC. LaBate as a forward in the WCHA has put up 3G8A11P in 16GP while McNally as a defenseman in the ECAC has put up 2G7A9P in 9GP.

Question I wanted to ask is which league is harder? Is Joseph's production lower than Patrick because the WCHA has harder competition than the ECAC, or is Patrick just on a torrent pace? Or does Harvard, McNally's team, have a stacked squad compared to Wisconsin, LaBate's team?

LaBate's numbers are nothing to frown at for a rookie in the NCAA, but in comparison to McNally, it seems a little low seeing as McNally has him beat in PPG as a defenseman.

Just wondering what the competition level for both leagues are like and how the NCAA works in general I guess.

And as a sidenote, LaBate is a 1993-born rookie in the NCAA. McNally is a 1991-born rookie in NCAA.

WCHA is loaded with talent, especiallt compared to the ECAC. ECAc is mostly ivy league schools (that can't give athletic scholarships) and minor programs that never churn out NHL level talent.

WCHA on the other hand has DU, Minnesota, Minnesota-Duluth, Wisconsin etc that routinely put out NHL level players

WCHA is loaded with talent, especiallt compared to the ECAC. ECAc is mostly ivy league schools (that can't give athletic scholarships) and minor programs that never churn out NHL level talent.

WCHA on the other hand has DU, Minnesota, Minnesota-Duluth, Wisconsin etc that routinely put out NHL level players

That explains a lot. Jeremy Price is also in ECAC, and is put up 2G9A11P in 13GP as a junior for Colgate. He's only 1 year older than McNally despite being two years ahead in the program.

Can you explain how Joe Cannata's league, H-East, compares to LaBate's WCHA or McNally and Price's ECAC? Do they compete against each other or is Cannata a tier below? Because Cannata has been tearing it up in the NCAA with unreal numbers but is it legit? Or anybody who knows the answer?

That explains a lot. Jeremy Price is also in ECAC, and is put up 2G9A11P in 13GP as a junior for Colgate. He's only 1 year older than McNally despite being two years ahead in the program.

Can you explain how Joe Cannata's league, H-East, compares to LaBate's WCHA or McNally and Price's ECAC? Do they compete against each other or is Cannata a tier below? Because Cannata has been tearing it up in the NCAA with unreal numbers but is it legit? Or anybody who knows the answer?

H-east has some of the top end talent like the WCHA in BU, BC, and UNH to an extent but also has the lower tier programs like the ECAC in the rest of the division.

His numbers are good but I'm far from sold on Cannata because the NCAA in itself is a defensive league and coach-oriented. He could be a product of the system, or could be an all star, its hard to tell for me at least

H-east has some of the top end talent like the WCHA in BU, BC, and UNH to an extent but also has the lower tier programs like the ECAC in the rest of the division.

His numbers are good but I'm far from sold on Cannata because the NCAA in itself is a defensive league and coach-oriented. He could be a product of the system, or could be an all star, its hard to tell for me at least

Schneider came from the exact same league and put up similar numbers. But like you said, it's hard to tell.

He has received some honors for his play, and was nominated for the Hobey Baker award. So he's gotta be doing something right.

Archived