The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ludwig Blomstrand | LW

b3.

wv7bsh.png

Scouting Report:

Potential to become an excellent role player. Has great size and wheels and works really hard. Gets involved in the rough stuff. Somewhat limited offensive upside. (EP 2011)

not a lot of hope for him to make the WJC squad this year, i wonder if he's free to come over to our farm team this year (or if we'd even want to remove him from sweden right now)

If he's nmot going to make the WJC he probably won't be able to play in the AHL next season.

He'll probably stay in Sweden for 2-3 years before coming over.

I swear, if Winnipeg didn't move up, we would've gotten Zachary Yuen. Probably be a great story. Better than being next to the hated Byfuglien

You could see that awkwardness between them two during the interview when talking about the Canucks, and losing, and Toews, and riot ... sigh.

From Joey Kenward's CDC feature (includes quote from AGM Gilman):

With their second pick in the 4th round (120th), Vancouver selected Ludwig Blomstrand of Djugarden Jr in Sweden. A 6'1", 180lbs. left winger, Blomstrand played in 35 games, scoring just three goals and four assists. He was ranked 74th on NHL Central Scouting's final list of European skaters.

“He’s very much like Jannik Hansen,” says Canucks Assistant General Manager Laurence Gilman. “He’s a tremendous skater who plays with some level of tenacity. We think he can be a solid two-way guy in the NHL “

http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=567326&navid=DL|VAN|home

From Derek Jory's feature:

Ludwig lands in Van

After spreading their picks around the world from Denmark and the Czech Republic before heading home to North America with a Canadian and an American, the Canucks used three of their last four selections on players from Sweden.

Forward Ludwig Blomstrand was the next player on the board for Vancouver going to the Canucks 120th overall.

The native of Uppsala, Sweden, the capital of the fourth largest city of Sweden, is another lanky player at 6-foot-1 and 198-pounds.

Following a seven point (3-4-7) season for Blomstrand with Djurgarden Jr. of the Swedish Junior Elite League, Elite Prospects said the 18-year-old has “potential to become an excellent role player” because he “has great size and wheels and works really hard” and “gets involved in the rough stuff.”

I couldn’t dig up much more on Blomstrand, but keep in mind Thomas Gradin’s track record of scouting out Swedish players. Nuff said.

http://canucks.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=39648&navid=DL|VAN|home

There's been a lot of negativity about this pick (especially over at HFBoards--big surprise there) but I think quite a few people are reading too much into the low scoring numbers from the stats last season.

From what I've been hearing, the low productivity is more a function of the role he's been asked to play.

If you look at his numbers in the J18 (13 points in 8 games), you can see that Blomstrand can produce, when playing a more offensive role at the lower levels. But he seems to be a much better checker/defender and grit guy than an offensive player. The fact that he played 6 games at the WJC-18 and 15 total international games (in 2010-11) for Sweden's U18 team speaks to his abilities as a role player.

Definitely not a guy who'll ever be top-six, but he seems to have good potential to contribute as a bottom-six guy.

The 2011 EliteProspects profile (also quoted in the OP) seems to summarize his upside very well:

Potential to Become an excellent role player. Has great size and wheels and works really hard. Gets Involved in the rough stuff. Somewhat limited offensive upside. (EP 2011)

http://www.elitepros...hp?player=21651

I'd expect that he also scored well on character and hockey intelligence. There are definitely positives there, if you accept that he's a role player and not a superstar, and that's not even taking into account the intangibles that Gradin likely saw in him.

There's been a lot of negativity about this pick (especially over at HFBoards--big surprise there) but I think quite a few people are reading too much into the low scoring numbers from the stats last season.

From what I've been hearing, the low productivity is more a function of the role he's been asked to play.

If you look at his numbers in the J18 (13 points in 8 games), you can see that Blomstrand can produce, when playing a more offensive role at the lower levels. But he seems to be a much better checker/defender and grit guy than an offensive player. The fact that he played 6 games at the WJC-18 and 15 total international games (in 2010-11) for Sweden's U18 team speaks to his abilities as a role player.

Definitely not a guy who'll ever be top-six, but he seems to have good potential to contribute as a bottom-six guy.

The 2011 EliteProspects profile (also quoted in the OP) seems to summarize his upside very well:

http://www.elitepros...hp?player=21651

I'd expect that he also scored well on character and hockey intelligence. There are definitely positives there, if you accept that he's a role player and not a superstar, and that's not even taking into account the intangibles that Gradin likely saw in him.

I hope you're right. Not really a fan of drafting someone with limited offensive upside, so I hope this is true and that he's just being asked to take on a more defensive role instead.

• 3 weeks later...

If he turns out anything like Hansen I'll be a happy camper. I don't see how he would be a poor man's Hansen seeing as he's a 4th round pick (120th Overall) when Hansen himself was drafted in the 9th round (287th Overall). If he develops well this could turn out nicely.

Nothing wrong with drafting a hard nosed checker who can skate in the 4th round. Those are the guys who come through in the playoffs usually...see Hansen, Lapierre. And yes...good name for sure. Hope to see Ludwig wheeling on our 3rd/4th line someday, maybe higher you never know.

Archived