The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ludwig Blomstrand | LW

b3.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wouldn't blame him one bit if he bolts for Sweden now, doesn't get a sniff at the AHL even after the season he had last year.

Interesting that Fox and Valk are still in Utica. Blomstrand and Fox were closing the season at a PPG.

My only negative read on Blomstrand was his defense which was supposed to be weak. Fox's camp this

fall is definitely helping him.

Hasn't played in Utica since season one and did nothing but float during the games he did get in. Something Green will not put up with. Never invited to Comets camp last year and this year is one of only two cuts so far. Green must still not like what he sees. Time to cut him loose and have one more available contract.

• 4 months later...

Blomstrand is mimicking last season, a slow start followed by a torrid pace in the second half of the season. He has 26 points in his last 17 games (11-15-26 in that span) and sits tied with Fox for first on team scoring (and 18th in the ECHL) with 40 points total. Its a shame he couldn't hit one of his hot streaks when he got the chance in the AHL... kind of unusual to spend your whole 3 year ELC in the ECHL, makes you wonder why they haven't just mutually terminated his contract by now. Maybe Blomstrand just loves Kalamazoo that much? :P

• 1 month later...

Just noticed that Blomstrand currently sits 3rd in goals and 7th in points among ECHL league-wide scoring leaders with 27 goals, 31 assists, and 58 points in 65 GP. 

And still not even a sniff of a call-up from the Comets during a season where they've been so depleted that their total tryout contracts (PTO/ATO) have hit double digits for this season.

Really strange stuff. Hard to understand why this organization wouldn't want to have one last look at this kid at the AHL level before they part ways when Blomstrand's contract expires (since I can't imagine he will be re-signed). It's not like Utica hasn't had room for him (since that roster's been so thin at times this year that they've barely iced a full squad).

For whatever reason, when Utica needed bodies, management decided to sign PTOs on older, smaller forwards who ranked lower on the ECHL scoring charts than Blomstrand. It's hard to fathom why a 23-year-old Canucks draft pick who's playing pretty well and still under contract with Vancouver just never seems to get his shot at the AHL. Especially given everything that's happened in Utica this season.

5 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Just noticed that Blomstrand currently sits 3rd in goals and 7th in points among ECHL league-wide scoring leaders with 27 goals, 31 assists, and 58 points in 65 GP. 

And still not even a sniff of a call-up from the Comets during a season where they've been so depleted that their total tryout contracts (PTO/ATO) have hit double digits for this season.

Really strange stuff. Hard to understand why this organization wouldn't want to have one last look at this kid at the AHL level before they part ways when Blomstrand's contract expires (since I can't imagine he will be re-signed). It's not like Utica hasn't had room for him (since that roster's been so thin at times this year that they've barely iced a full squad).

For whatever reason, when Utica needed bodies, management decided to sign PTOs on older, smaller forwards who ranked lower on the ECHL scoring charts than Blomstrand. It's hard to fathom why a 23-year-old Canucks draft pick who's playing pretty well and still under contract with Vancouver just never seems to get his shot at the AHL. Especially given everything that's happened in Utica this season.

Kind of breaks my heart since I've been following this guy since he's been drafted. Always thought he was an underrated draft pick and that he's shown lots of heart by sticking it and working hard in the ECHL and hasn't threatened to go back to Sweden.

7 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

He's been on the same line with Fox and Valk for much of the year after Valk returned from injury, and they've all played very well from what I understand, yet we've traded Fox and Valk is only just now getting the call up despite Utica having to sign multiple PTOs to fill gaps. Granted, Blomstrand wasn't impressive in his previous time with Utica, but I did wonder earlier in the year if they might just graduate that whole line at once for next season from the K-Wings to Utica. Apparently not, although I see Valk getting a sniff.

Clearly another case of "they know more than us" up in the front office.

If I were to make an assumption based off watching his play, there are a couple glaring reasons he is not in Utica.

Blomstrand is not a strong skater, and his defensive awareness is not good. He is not good enough for a top 6 roll in Utica and cannot defend well enough for a bottom 6 roll. He maybe lighting the lamp in the ECHL but teams are lighting him up when he is on the ice. At one point this season, before Valk joined his line, Blomstrand was in the -20's

Even Valk still has a lot to work on before he earns Green's trust. He has played a total of three games with Utica this year. In the first game Green benched him for the entire third period and was sent back down after the game. In game two last weekend Valk played an entire 15 seconds in the third period at the beginning of a power play and never saw the ice again. The last game he scored a goal and added an assist and played a regular shift in the third when the Comets built up a 5 - 0 lead.

Valk needs to prove he can play in traffic at this level something he obviously struggled with his first two games.

From the March 11 Canucks Army K-Wings write up (after the Fox trade):

http://canucksarmy.com/2016/3/16/a-kalamazoo-look-march-11th

Blomstrand and Valk remained on the 1st line with rookie Justin Kovacs taking the other wing. This was the best forward line for Kalamazoo during the game. This line had the best scoring chances of the night.

Blomstrand was a bit quiet tonight with only 2 shots on goal – both, nice scoring chances. The Norfolk goalie had a very strong game. Valk scored midway into the 3rd period with a slapshot from the blue line that the Norfolk goalie couldn’t react quickly enough to.

3 minutes into the 2nd period Norfolk had a breakaway from the red line. Blomstrand used his explosive speed to catch up with the skater to get between him and the goalie. Blomstrand made a great defensive play to eliminate the scoring chance.

Blomstrand showed his solid two-way game with another step up on defense in the 3rd period to block a shot with his backside. The hit didn’t even faze Blomstrand and he never missed a step. Later in the period, Blomstrand had a great open ice hit on a Norfolk skater at center ice.

Blomstrand and Valk remained on the 1st PP unit and the 2nd PK unit.

Sounds ok to me, but certainly if there are deficiencies they might be exposed more in the AHL though. Still not sure without being able to watch more of his play.

Previous write ups can be found here: http://canucksarmy.com/authors/14562

Archived