The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Any of you guys want to play in Scotland : Flyers the 2nd Season.

Bodee

FIFE FLYERS INTO THE PLAYOFFS!

Well guys I didn't want to say anything before now in case I jinxed it but in only their 2nd season in the Professional League, Fife Flyers have made it into the playoffs. Anyone who has followed the story above will realise just how much of a feat this is.

The nearest comparison would be Columbus making the playoffs but even that would not really compare with a small town team run on a shoe string with at least 2 less foreign imports than any of the other teams making the playoffs in competition with the wealthy city teams.

I told you about the disaster last season, losing their best players before the halfway stage, and two others to career ending injuries and culminating in the coach losing his wife and twins. Who would have thought he and the team would have bounced back so well.

I never doubted the fans ability to raise this team up beyond their potential and anyone who knew their long and glorious history would know it wouldn't belong before they could do the town proud.

It is only the playoffs and they are still a good bit behind the top teams in resources (and always will be......there are no millionaire owners behind the Flyers) but I can guarantee one thing if it comes down to who has the loudest most raucous fans, Flyers will be in at the death.

Fife Flyers win first playoff leg against top of the league Nottingham in front of a sell out crowd 4-2

In an almost surreal atmosphere the Fife team upset all the odds by defeating the Champions in a rugged and sometimes bad tempered game.

The magnitude of this win is shown by champions Nottingham's 35pt lead over 7th placed Flyers. Flyers had been on the wrong end of some big hammerings from the english team during the regular season.

The realists amongst the Fife fans now wonder if it will be enough to see them achieve an aggregate win as they had been up 4-0 at the end of the 2nd. Both teams now travel to Nottingham for to-morrow night's aggregate decider.

Watch this space, can the Fife team in only their 2nd season in the professional league eclipse the odds on favourites?

By the way, in a bazar touch, the game ended with just over a minute to play when one of the Flyers (Hogg) crashed through the plexi glass (Fife Flyers couldn't afford the tougher make and were granted permission to use the plexi glass) Equally incredulously it was rumoured the unplayed time will be added onto to-morrows game duration.

Sorry folks, they couldn't do it as I suspected.........too much of a gulf this year. (Panthers 3-0 Fife Flyers.......Agg. 5-4)

Still it's been a roller coaster ride and hopefully they will sign up most of the guys again for next season for another shot.

Last Post..........

Well that was the end of another eventful season. Here Todd Dutiaume gives his thoughts on what was only the second season in the professional league.

I notice he chose to break silence on what many people thought about their playoff game but didn't want to come say and come over as bad losers. We Fifers have always had a bit of a chip on our shoulders regarding refereeing and it seems that even in the Pro League we seem to be the victims of questionable decisions.

As Todd says there was no doubt the better team "in the season" won but sometimes you have to think with all the major sponsorship in England could they really afford the showcase favourite to go out in round one. Canucks fans think they have problems with officiating. There is no equivalent of tv replays or Toronto here, it is all just sorted out on the night and you just have to accept it. Notice the sarcastic and mocking applauding of the officials by the Flyers fans.

I will hopefully be back next season when we will be even better, even noisier and even more successful.

By the way for anyone reading this and playing in a sub AHL but high standard hockey league who fancies a season in Scotland, for the Fife Flyers we tend to rebuild at least half our team every season. So if you think you have what it takes, get in touch with Todd or if you know Mark Morrison (St John's AHL team assistant coach and ex Flyer's coach) have a word with him.

To all who have looked in on this and enjoyed the struggle of an underdog team in a pro hockey league thanks. And don't forget there is far more to see and enjoy on a trip/holiday to Scotland than just the "Auld and famous" Fife Flyers. All the Best.

Archived