The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jonathan Iilahti Talk

Squeak

He's gone. The deadline was June 1. Even if he wasn't too, too promising, I'm kind of disappointed because you can never have too many goalies in the system. That being said, if Gillis sticks to his usual method he'll be drafting another goalie in this coming draft anyway.

Shouldn't have expected much from a 6th roud pick anyways. It's a good deision to walk away from this guy, since it's unlikely he's ever going to be an NHL regular. He didn't do enough t earn a contract anyways.

Save a contract for a college free agent.

Hopefully Honzik pans out, but if not w've still got high end goalie prospects in Lack and Cannata.

Shouldn't have expected much from a 6th roud pick anyways. It's a good deision to walk away from this guy, since it's unlikely he's ever going to be an NHL regular. He didn't do enough t earn a contract anyways.

Save a contract for a college free agent.

Hopefully Honzik pans out, but if not w've still got high end goalie prospects in Lack and Cannata.

One bad year shouldn't define his career. Don't forget he's stil only 18, so he still has a couple years left to round out his game in junior. After all, it took Schneider until he was 25 to crack the NHL.

His SV% and GAA weren't great, but he had a good winning percentage during the regular season. From the looks of it, he didn't have a very good team in front of him.

From everything I've read, Honzik was one of the best goalies, with the highest potential in his draft year. But he was regarded as a project player, which is why he slipped to the third round.

He's got all the tools to be a great goalie though. Good size, good athleticism, and he comes from a great hockey program. The Czech republic has been turning out some great goaltenders over the years.

I've still got alot of hope for this guy.

You're right, maybe I came off too decisive in my post but what worries me was that he regressed instead of grew. He was supposed to have a break out year now that he had a goalie coach full time, but instead got replaced and became the backup

really sad that he's always gonna think what if he'd been allowed to come play for the giants. maybe he would've excelled but instead thinks went bad.sucks for him he'll always have that what if because a bunch of people in a room somewhere decided he couldn't pursue his dream in one of the best junior leagues in the world. those people should be ashamed I'm sure the same thing happened to tons of guys all over europe.

Before this past season Iilahti was my favorite goaltending prospect. I was really hoping we'd get to see what kind of a player he could develope into. I hope that that retaining his rights until he's 27 thing is true as I think he's going to be a very good goaltender.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived