The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CDCGML 2011-12 Season

canuck2xtreme

My vote for the playoffs goes to the Islanders, believe it or not.

Last year they were decimated by injuries and had a revolving door in goal. But that allowed them to seriously test the depth of their system, and while they weren't exactly a powerhouse (understatement alert!) , there was a lot of promise shown and a lot of reason for optimism.

In goal, they'll have Evgeni Nabokov, as he's said he's reporting to camp and ready to play for the Isles this season. Perhaps not the top end talent he once was, but at the very least, solid. Sometimes, that's all you need. Poulin wasn't terrible in relief last season. And of course, I'm assuming that Rick DiPietro will be injured. Again.

On defence, the Isles had some young players who really stepped up last season. Travis Hamonic was fantastic, and Andrew MacDonald was not far behind. Both were plus players, on the Islanders. Mark Streit will also be back in the lineup, so that should help immensely.

Up front, the Isles have a great group of talented young forwards. Tavares, Grabner, Moulson, Nino, Comeau, Parenteau had a strong year, Kyle Okposo should be healthy and Josh Bailey still has something to prove and has the skills. And that doesn't touch on some of the other prospects in their system. The Isles seemed to gel as a group last season in the face of those injuries.

That's the key for me in voting for the Isles instead of the Leafs. Toronto has made some strides, but if you ask me, a key injury here or there will torpedo their chances. The Isles proved last season that they can come together and respond to that adversity. I don't know if the Leafs have that kind of depth or talent in the system to compensate the way the Islanders could.

As much love as you are giving Nabokov, this is still DiPi's team, and don't forget about Al Montoya, who they like a lot.

I do love the Islanders, and with Streit and Okposo healthy this year, they are definitely going to be better than last year. Wishart already getting a taste on D is good, and with Gervais and Hillen out the door, it opens the door for him, Hamonic, MacDonald, and Streit to be a solid top-4. Not only that, top prospects De Haan, Strome, and El Nino all have a good shot at making the team, adding even more youth and energy to the team. They are easily going to be a team I pay attention to much more in the East.

As much love as you are giving Nabokov, this is still DiPi's team, and don't forget about Al Montoya, who they like a lot.

I don't know if I'd call it DiPietro's team. His contract suggests it should be, but his performance does not. Well, maybe in the injury ward...

Besides, on opening night, when DiPietro blows out his hip during the warm-up skate, someone will have to take over ;)

I don't know if I'd call it DiPietro's team. His contract suggests it should be, but his performance does not. Well, maybe in the injury ward...

Besides, on opening night, when DiPietro blows out his hip during the warm-up skate, someone will have to take over ;)

True, but people seem to forget how much the Isles had to rely on him before he signed that monster contract. He consistently faced over 30 shots a game and held his ground pretty good. Having Nabokov and Montoya will help though, as they won't need him to play 60+ games anymore, and have insurance if he goes down.

True enough, he was a very strong goalie for them before the injury woes hit. I haven't seen that form from him in a while. If he regains it, that's only good news for the Isles.

i voted for the jackets cuz they got more strenght with carter and wisniewski

the leafs were impressing in the 2nd half of the last season...so may they could grab the 8th spot next one?!

the isles are a young high talented team...if they are free from major injuries...they could surprise

winnipeg (as atlanta) had a great start last season and it seemed that they will make the playoffs but finally the season was to long for them i guess

i guess a handfull of teams are running for the 7th and 8th spot in the east untill the end

it will be pretty exciting

I picked the Winnipeg Jets.

Why? Well, because I am biased. I have season tickets afterall... :towel:

But seriously, out of these 4 I think they do have the best chance. Columbus improved but I still don't like their chances in the competitive Western Conference.

The Islanders are young and talented, but I still think they are about one year away from contending. I have a hard time trusting Nabokov in that dressing room this year, and Dieptro may have pulled his groin reading the newspaper this morning (unofficial). Bright days are ahead though with Tavares and Hamonic being studs on that roster.

The Leafs are the Leafs. They still lack a true #1 center (sorry Tim Connolly but you aren't the solution), and bringing in him and Lombardi and their concussion concerns to the roster is alarming. They teased everyone again last season by playing well late in the season, but Reimer was unreal last year and I'm unsure he can keep that pace up for an entire season.

So the Jets it is. They were leading the Southeast Division midway through the season before going into the tank, but the blueprint for a solid team is there. Evander Kane is going to light it up this year, I like their defense with Byfuglien, Enstrom, Hainsey, Bogosian, Stuart and Oduya, and I really think that Ladd and Wheeler are going to play well this year too. Also, I think that the acquisition of local-boy Eric Fehr was a steal. With all due respect to the diehard Atlanta Thrashers fans (who unfortunately were few and far between), this team played in front of an empty building for years. The MTS Center will be rocking this fall and look for this young team to feed off of this emotion.

Or not. But that is my biased picked and I'm not ashamed.

Go Jets Go!

I've got to agree with arby on this one. Jets all the way!

The West is too tight for Columbus to get in and I agree with Mike that St Louis will grab that #8 spot.

The East is comparatively more wide open with so many mediocre-poor teams that the emotional boost should put the Jets over the top.

The Islanders are young and talented, but I still think they are about one year away from contending. I have a hard time trusting Nabokov in that dressing room this year, and Dieptro may have pulled his groin reading the newspaper this morning (unofficial). Bright days are ahead though with Tavares and Hamonic being studs on that roster.

The most shocking part of this statement for me is that he managed to pick it up without incident.

Won't vote in the poll as I fear if I do I will just end up cursing my Leafs.

While I agree with arbys assessment of the Leafs, at least this season you can go into it with some optimism. And when was the last time realistic Leafs fans could say that? The Leafs should be in the conversation for a playoff spot at the very least, which is a step up from 'why the eff did we trade our 1st rounder?!?!?'

Archived