The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CDCGML 2011-12 Season

canuck2xtreme

RUMOUR:

There are several unconfirmed reports coming out of New Jersey suggesting that the Devils have made a significant trade. As usual there are no names yet, but sources claim a top six forward and young defenseman are heading out of New Jersey. Coming the Devils way is anybody's guess at this point. The only information leaked thus far is a multiple player trade and the Devils appear to have created millions in capspace from the deal.

Stay Tuned!

Well that's good to know.

I would like to bring up something that I was thinking about. It has to do with the FO budgets in general.

I would like to propose that there be 2 seperate deadline categories for the various budgets. My thoughts are that two areas of the FO have a direct and sole impact on an organization in the Regular Season and the remaining two are floating throughout the Regular Season as well as the off-season and have more of an impact in the Off Season.

The two that I believe which solely affect the Regular Season are the Medical/Training and Player Development areas. Neither of these really have a bearing on a roster or team in the Off Season. There's no one able to be placed on LTIR and no minor systems are officially filled out on any official minors roster, yet they are tied to the budget setting of the Off Season.

The two that I believe that are affective of a team through the entire year are the Player Relations and Legal areas of the FO. These affect our ability to sign guys or trade players year around, yet seem to be both in play, in the Off Season and Regular Season and are not really affected by Medical and PD, but have a disproportionate affect on Medical and PD.

What I'd like to put forward to my fellow GM's and the Excecutives is a tweak to the concrete deadline and a concrete adherence to an organization that once they've made an Off Season adjustment to their Legal and Player Relations areas, AND then have benefitted from those areas, by being able to successfully sign a Free Agent or, successfully bening able to ask a player to waive a NTC or NMC, then that benefit then makes those particular areas set until the begining of the next Off Season.

I'd also like to put forward for thought and discussion then with that said, the ability for an organization to not have the deadline and concreteness of the Legal and Player Relations areas over shadow the needed flexibility of an organization to adjust its Medical and Player Development areas prior to the start of the Regular Season.

The start of the Regular Season, therefor should be the hard cap deadline to set an organization's Player Development and Medical areas, because going into camp it's unknowable and impossible to react as an organization to injuries, lack of signings, or a reactionary signing as a result of an injury or the need to revamp an organization's ability to be nimble in itself prior to the season with prospects, signings and trades.

For example, if my starting goalie and my backup both get into a car accident, and are injured in camp two days prior to the start of the season, and I for, again in this hypothetical example, don't have any ability to sign for or trade for another goalie and i'm forced to bring up another goaltender from my minors, but, again hypothetically, he costs more than my starter and backup did......and I can't move any of my excess forwards and defencemen down into the minors, because my Player Development was cast in cement two months earlier, which doesn't allow me to move them down, or be cap compliant. Must I start the season with no one in net? Must I dress a defenceman in goal instead? How would I keep score of wins and shutouts, etc?

The FO is a great idea, but there are at times some flaws in it and absolutisms that can really hamper an organization ability to craft a team for the upcoming season.

I hope I put this issue forward with some sense of clarity and of course respectfulness.

I hope this matter can be discussed by us all and some remedies be made available.

Thanks.

I`m not sure that I`m getting your point. Real NHL budgets have concrete parameters, as do minor organization budgets.

If any player is injured, they are placed on LTIR, and their salary cap hit is then usable by your organization. If a longterm injury strikes your goalie, you can call one up, or sign one. Just as in the the NHL, when your injured player is ready to play again, it is up to the GM to create roster space and make the right moves in order to do so (trades and waivers).

As far as legal and medical budgets are concerned, they are also set in stone IRL. Lawyers are on retainers, and medical staff is under contract. Each organization makes corporate budgetary decisions before a season starts, and sets their budget.

Can you clarify what it is that you`re after?

My own suggestions for consideration

I would like to suggest, as now we have decided to discuss the budgets, that we consider the following:

- A playoff team reward of 1 million extra FO budget for the following year, and a 3 million extra FO budget for the winner of the cup.

- A yearly budgetary increase to match the increase of our team`s salary (as long as player development budgets remain part of the FO) so that our minors programs can keep pace with the big league.

Backes (STL) -Richards (NYR) -Stewart (STL)

Neal (PITTS) -Carter (CLB)-Ruutu(CAR)

Prospal (CLB) -Nielsen (NYI) -Clarkson (NYR

Campbell (BOS)-Kruger (CHI) -Martin (NYI)

Jacques (EDM)

Hamhuis (VAN)-Seabrook (CHI)

Goligoski (DAL) -Kulikov (FLA)

Martin (PITTS) - Ohlund (TBL)

Poti (WAS)

Fleury (PITTS)

Lindback (NASH)

Giguere (COL)

We will likely go into the year with this line-up, but are willing to tweaks, especially at the goal position. Lindback is OTB for a 3rd line Winger and depth.

We feel with this team we can challenge for the cup.

I`m not sure that I`m getting your point. Real NHL budgets have concrete parameters, as do minor organization budgets.

If any player is injured, they are placed on LTIR, and their salary cap hit is then usable by your organization. If a longterm injury strikes your goalie, you can call one up, or sign one. Just as in the the NHL, when your injured player is ready to play again, it is up to the GM to create roster space and make the right moves in order to do so (trades and waivers).

As far as legal and medical budgets are concerned, they are also set in stone IRL. Lawyers are on retainers, and medical staff is under contract. Each organization makes corporate budgetary decisions before a season starts, and sets their budget.

Can you clarify what it is that you`re after?

My own suggestions for consideration

I would like to suggest, as now we have decided to discuss the budgets, that we consider the following:

- A playoff team reward of 1 million extra FO budget for the following year, and a 3 million extra FO budget for the winner of the cup. This will allow teams to create a sort of legacy, and would make these teams more appealing to prospects (as in RL). These teams can become known as teams with strong developmental systems, and also, therefore, more appealing again.

- A yearly budgetary increase to match the increase of our team`s salary (as long as player development budgets remain part of the FO) so that our minors programs can keep pace with the big league.

I think he's still around...i've seen him in White Noise quite a bit and here once in awhile.....he also did put in a successful bid for Pitkanen. ;)

Right, he nabbed Pitkanen.

Which gives him 10 forwards, 6 defencemen, and 3 goaltenders. The UFA market is dwindling and I haven't heard from him in the context of the game in quite a while.

Concern coming out of Raleigh for sure.... :unsure:

As teams start to put together their actual opening night rosters, I`d like to call our memberships attention to this section of the rules.

Also, remember that a good GM keeps his players competitive, but content. Players that aren't happy with their role on your team (like a 50 goal scorer on the third line, a 18-20 minute defenceman on the bottom pairing, or having two starting goaltenders competing for playing time) may end up asking for a trade. If they aren't dealt within an acceptable period of time (dependent on the player and situation) they may refuse to play until they are moved. Make sure you keep your players happy.

This is a very crucial section of the rules, and it`s been overlooked a bit in the past. We`re going to be watching this sort of thing a lot more this season, I`ve already sent out a few notices to teams just to let them know ahead of time so they have a chance to deal with the situation without panicking or being backed into a corner. Don`t take it personally, I`m not targeting anyone. Heck, I`ve had to make a few adjustments to my team from last year for the same reason. Just trying to make sure everyone has a fair shake at the game. I get the argument a lot (actually, every single time) that if a player wants to win, they`d be a good teammate and take a lesser role for that chance to win. Problem is, if 10 GMs actively employ that strategy and get away with it, the other 20 GMs are going to have a very tough time being competitive. Have a look at your roster, be proactive and make sure everyone is going to be happy. Not only do you avoid problems down the road, but players look at your organization as one that takes care of it`s players, and that`s always a good thing.

I have spoken with him as of a day ago, he is actively looking to mold his roster, that I am certain of but like most teams now the trade route is likely the course of action. But on the same topic, several teams really need to address their rosters, less than 4 weeks until Training Camp starts and still many teams can't ice a team for a game let alone have an active roster of 23 players..

Thanks for the info Mike. As long as he`s actively involved still. A bit of thread presence would ease my mind a bit.

And right you are. A lot of teams have some work to do the next month.

Specifically, I'm looking to see a little flexibility in the Medical and Player Development areas.

I think increasing the FO to match the increase in cap space and thus the increase in player's salaries is a good idea. Also, I don't think any budget should be set in stone until the begining of the Regular Season.

We can't keep increasing salaries for minor leaguers and not have the minor league cap increase by a proportional amount.

Also, i'd like to see a scenario whereby if you haven't made any gains or benefit from portions of your FO heading into the Regular season, then you should be allowed a tweak to take from one part into another before the season starts.

For instance, in my case, I'm a new GM, new to fantasy GM games altogether, to be perfectly candid, and i'm under the impression that you have to set your front office budgets before you can get any benefits from the different aspects of them. And so you set it, weeks or perhaps even couple of months ago, hypothetically speaking, because you're getting the feeling that UFA signings aren't coming even though you are better fitted, offer more, etc..... and then realise that you have $0 budgeted for anything. Then you go out and set your parameters in hopes of signing a player who was your 3rd, 4th, 5th choice, only to still not have the luck. Then you are forced to improve your team on your own merits through trading, since you really didn't have much input when walking into a team that had some pieces to be competetive but needs a lot of work. So, you make trades that force you to bring in guys that may not be as good but you do what you gotta do.

Again, i'm not complaining about UFA signings....it is what it is, and it's as fair a system as it can be, no argument from me there, whatsoever.

But, if we're to improve our team through trades and younger players, then shouldn't we as teams have a little more Off Season flexibility in adjusting how much we can spend in our minors in order to affect our big club when we like to?

I'm looking for more control and flexibility for our FO before a season officially starts. If a new GM makes an error in judgement which could torpedo their roster, should they have to wait an entire year before they are able to make a tweak or an adjustment that saves them from losing a major piece of their roster now or a franchise player of the future, because they can't add a little more room to their minor team roster by taking it from their Medical/Training budget?

Neither has been used or been a benefit, so what would be the harm in taking from one and giving it to another, before the season starts and giving a GM more hands on flexibility and control over his organization?

Archived