The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CDCGML 2011-12 Season

canuck2xtreme

After reading the discussion and suggestions about the FO Budgets, here's what I get out if it:

Sharpie has the most convoluted way of saying, "I screwed up when I was a new GM and didn't realize that if I set my FO budget without any money for my PD then I can't have any minors system. I know it's against the rules but instead of screwing up my organization can I take some from my Medical budget? I'm sorry, I've learned my lesson that I should have asked for advice first. It won't happen again. Please and thanks. "

Instead, you propose to change the system, which works, and phrase it being a question about 'cycles' when in fact there is only one cycle, a year. The system works because it is simple for the League to maintain, for GMs to understand and to customize/distinguish your organization the way you want to. If there is any change to the system it should be that there is only one date that all teams must have their budget in, say Oct 1st, so that a GM must plan ahead rather than be reactionary.

In this instance, if Sharpie were to change his approach to the issue, I would be ok with him taking from his Medical to put into PD because I can't imagine any organization not putting money into a minors system. That would be unbelievably negligent and could harm a franchise for years.

Next time, try asking for advice first, as was put in my original post, admit a mistake and rather than trying to shift the burden if responsibility away from yourself.

That's my take.

Before this gets out of hand guys, please save the drama. For the record I agreed with Sharpie's thoughts on timing but do also agree his approach including his last post could have been better articulated. If these are any personal issues, we don't need them in the public eye, you guys can sort them out via PM.

I know both of you are strongly opinionated people but let's consider the game of the entire game and all it's participants before we turn this into more than it has to be.

Before this gets out of hand guys, please save the drama. For the record I agreed with Sharpie's thoughts on timing but do also agree his approach including his last post could have been better articulated. If these are any personal issues, we don't need them in the public eye, you guys can sort them out via PM.

I know both of you are strongly opinionated people but let's consider the game of the entire game and all it's participants before we turn this into more than it has to be.

It's funny this is an issue... C2X said don't change your FO budget because they might make some changes to the way it works... Until I hear C2X say the FO budget is going to opperate next year like THIS, I consider everyone's budget to be completely meaningless....

Personally, I think it does need to be fixed - but not on when the timing for changing it is. Once a year, during the off season is good. I'd rather agents deal with FA signings then changing FO budgets multiple times a year. The problem I see with the front office is the money seems to be all over the place. If I have a couple mill left over, there's no point in tossing it into medical if I don't reach the next platue. So my suggest, which I already tossed to C2X (and he wasn't that enthusiastic) was this - which I'm tossing out to you guys just to spark some CONSTRUCTIVE (yet not necessarily sober) conversation.

why not just make each of the 4 areas have 5 rankings and give GMs 9 points to spend (currently you have 72mil total available - 18mil x 4, and 35 mil to spend)Then set the rankings something like...

Legal

- RFA's more likely to sign at 5-15% discount

- UFA's more likely to sign at 5-15% discount

- Players more likely to not want NMC/NTCs

- players more likely to take 5-10% long term discounts

- players more likely to take 10-20% home town discounts

Medical/Training Facilities

- 'out indefinitely' can be placed on IR.

- 'expected to miss... more then a month' can be placed on IR.

- 'expected to miss...more then a week' can be placed on IR.

- 'day to day' can be placed on IR.

Player Relations

- players more willing to re-sign with your club.

- players more likely to waive NTC/NMC to join your club.

- players more likely to waive NTC/NMC to be traded if asked.

- facility upgrades make your club more attractive to free agents.

Player Development

- each point gives +4mil cap space for minor team, each team starts at 4mil (range would be 4-20mil with 0-5 points being spent)

Or something along those lines...obviously there are still a few holes

On a side note, I think Sharpie should be punished with having no minor league team this season... instead, he'll have to loan out his prospects for the year... the Miami Nukes have a few openings.

The only complaint I have with the current system is, like Aitek said, the numbers don't add up exactly if you want to reach the next level of a certain area you want to improve. However, I just pool it all into my minor league budget.

One of the things I didn't forsee last year was the need for quite a large budget in my minor league system. I picked 9M last year because I wanted to add more into Player Relations, and ended up having to shuffle prospects back/forth (guys like De Haan, Rodin) because of their higher cap hits, just so my MINORS budget would be balanced. This year, I made sacrifices in certain areas to make my Minors budget bigger. I already PM'ed c2x with my updates in like June, so unless there are rule changes, I won't be changing my budget. For what it's worth, I think this system is fine, and would prefer to keep it.

It's honestly a really simple system, and I would think it is okay (if it is with the commish/agents) to allow the new GM's who werent' quite familiar with the system to get some sort of leeway right now, rather than just before the season starts. That way, everyone will have appropriate budgets, and certain GM's won't get burned in prospects signings just because they weren't able to fully grasp what each area really meant.

I can see Aixtek's point about symmetry in the FO budgets but what Yoshi described is the exact reason that is is not.

Left over monies should be put into your PD, if you have any, so that there is roster flexibility throughout the league.

While one team may be tight up against both the Pro and Minor cap another will not be. This improves room for trades to happen and allows GMs to collectively increase the depth of team rosters league wide.

My only reticence is that theoretically some teams can still have no Minor's budget which is impractical and unworkable. The minors IMHO should have a minimum amount.

I suggest there be a better primer or f.a.q. for the front office. That way, if there are any new GM's that come on board in the future, they'll hopefully have a more complete understanding of the workings and ramifications of each area of the overall budget, with examples and/or scenarios to assist them in making sound decisions. It may still be of assistance to any recent GM who hasn't set their budget, as well.

I don't mind volunteering some time to do so, if others feel it's worth doing.

The Leafs made "great" moves in the off-season? The best player they added was Cody Franson. He will not carry the team to the playoffs. They also added 2 big salary oft-concussed centers that likely won't play 82 games this season.... combined.

The Jets have a solid core and if Pavelec can hold up the season and Kane, Burmistrov continue to improve, they have a decent shot finish 8th or better.

Players coming off of injuries are high-risk, but also high-reward. San Jose picked up Boyle after an injury-riddled season and he's one of the best D in the league. All the recent acquisitions like Lupul last year, and Connolly, Lombardi, and Franson this year all will make the team better. The only advantage I would give the Jets is that they're still in the weaker division.

I'd be surprised if the Jets are still in contention at the trade deadline. Call me a skeptic, but I honestly don't see them being competitive for another 2-3 years.

QUESTION: Which top line is best?

Sabres: Burrows - Giroux - Willaims

Oilers: Backes - B. Richards - Stewart

Red Wings: Parise - Duchene - Benn

Islanders: Franzen - Zetterberg - Sharp

Devils: Ryan - Kopitar - Perry

Bruins: Sedin - Sedin - Stafford

Rangers: Vanek - Thornton - Antropov

Penguins: Heatley - Staal/Stamkos - Penner

Sharks: Galiardi - Getzlaf/Toews - Bourque

Canucks: Nash - Crosby - Kane

Difference is, Boyle has played less than 76 games just once since 2002, the injury-riddled season you mentioned. Tim Connolly hasn't played more than 73 games since 2003. Players coming of injured seasons are high reward if it's an isolated injury. For Connolly, he's one hit away from ending his career.

QUESTION: Which top line is best?

Sabres: Burrows - Giroux - Willaims

Oilers: Backes - B. Richards - Stewart

Red Wings: Parise - Duchene - Benn

Islanders: Franzen - Zetterberg - Sharp

Devils: Ryan - Kopitar - Perry

Bruins: Sedin - Sedin - Stafford

Rangers: Vanek - Thornton - Antropov

Penguins: Heatley - Staal/Stamkos - Penner

Sharks: Galiardi - Getzlaf/Toews - Bourque

Canucks: Nash - Crosby - Kane

Also I can't find it but I remember somebody saying something about the option to buy out players before the season starts. Can someone refresh my memory if that is happening or not and perhaps how that situation looks in terms of roster and cap.

Going to try and sidestep the controversy for now, as I'm off in a bit to pick up the missus and the little man from the airport in a few hours.

Yes, there will be a second one week buyout window starting on Sept. 1st. Details to be released shortly.

Archived