The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CDCGML 2011-12 Season

canuck2xtreme

This is what's wrong with this god damned place. We let 1000 12 year old morans with half a brain combined propose Schneier and Ballard for Parise 18 times a day but we ban the members with intelligent contributions to the board. Heaven forbid we have too many of those kind of people around here. Much better having these ninnies poetic the same " fire Av" "trade Luongo" and "the Sedins are too soft" topics every single god dammed week.

There was a golden age around here around 05/06/07 that we will never see again and it's sad. I don't know how much longer I can watch this forum go in the crapper.

/rant.

In my reasonably short lifetime... I've been a moderator on boards and I've also been a moderators bane, and I can say for sure there is definitely a line that you need to draw when it comes to acceptable behavoir in the online world - some people stay within those lines, some people push those lines, and some people have to enforce those lines.. That being said, a perma-ban is basically the equivolent of capital punishment and let's be honest... is there anyone who is actually pro death penalty? In both cases (capital punishment & perma-ban) you have to weigh the potential crimes and motivations of the perpetrator vs the potential contributions they make or can make to the community (online or otherwise).

I have to say, from what little I know of Sharpshooter, he's a big dink... a drunkard... and can be a bigger huge duechbag... but his contributions to the CDC community aren't something that can be easily replaced... if at all.

Punishment, is no doubt due... but don't punish the CDC community.

So please... Judges... who ever you are... commute Sharpies sentance because otherwise you do the entire CDC more harm then Justice...

And if Sharpshooter isn't coming back indefinitely, the CBJ organization (including their Miami Rockets affiliate, will wear SS on their jerseys this season in his memory)

Wow, this is really too bad. I would love to know what the ban was for and if there is anyway he can still manage the Penguins.

Just a general response for all the questions here.

I can't share the specific details at the moment on the causes.

I decided to be the messenger of the news here. I'm not speaking for any of the league commissioners, but it's possible run a club still without a valid account. But not so convenient in some situations.

I'll keep you all updated. Your patience would be appreciated.

Thanks,

b3-

Wow! A perma-ban! Who would have thought? It was only a matter of time I guess. Now I dont have to scroll through page after page of needless pictures and rants about singings and drunk behavior. It got lame fast. But on the other hand its also sad to see someone that had the know how to be a great GM gone because of stupidity. Hopefully a suitable replacement can be found. Cause there is no way you can run a team from the "outside" . As much as he wants to be part of this league, I dont see how that can happen.

Good luck to you SS.

I don't know what to say about that except that's just awful.

The Off Topic Forum will never be the same without Sharpie.

I can't imagine what he said to get permanently banned but you always should need to weigh the bad with the good. His good always outshone his bad.

Although we have always had a rule stating that you must be a member of CDC to be in this game I am going to reserve judgement until we can learn more and hope for a reversal.

Disagreements aside I would be very upset to lose one of the stalwarts of the forum and I agree with CON that the golden age of CDC has passed. I still miss Shambelle, The Steamer and Flinch.

Edit; I have that strange feeling of having left on bad terms with a friend right before they passed on. Crappy feeling that.

Sharp was warned many, many times about personal attacks. He was also suspended many times due to personal attacks. He received more chances than most, yet persisted in attacking people. As much as he was a good poster, we can't let people constantly flaunt the rules. He apparently had no respect for the rules or other posters, and because of that he's gone. It was made clear to him what would happen if he continued, yet he did, and I can't do much to keep him here if that's the path he chooses to follow. Sorry it interferes with your game guys, but he hit the breaking point.

Sharp was warned many, many times about personal attacks. He was also suspended many times due to personal attacks. He received more chances than most, yet persisted in attacking people. As much as he was a good poster, we can't let people constantly flaunt the rules. He apparently had no respect for the rules or other posters, and because of that he's gone. It was made clear to him what would happen if he continued, yet he did, and I can't do much to keep him here if that's the path he chooses to follow. Sorry it interferes with your game guys, but he hit the breaking point.

jetfighter was given his three chances, he's now suspended.

Keep in mind you don't see all of what the mods do. We ban a lot of blatant trolls, but prefer to give people the benefit of the doubt and a few chances to learn and prove themselves. We gave jetfighter his chances, he failed, he's gone. Sharpshooter got more chances than most because of what he brought to the table in terms of constructive content, but couldn't keep his vitriol under control. "Getting colorful" is a very mild choice of words. He consistently attacked people left and right. So should we give established users free reign like that? If you do, you get a pretty cancerous community where the established players are clearly above all rules and free to bully anyone they want. I'm willing to give constructive posters an extra kick at it, but if it's clear their behavior won't change, they'll be banned like anyone else.

If you were given 5+ warnings and multiple suspensions over personal attacks, would you be surprised to be suspended if you kept attacking users?

Quick comment before taking the family for breakfast now that they're finally home...

Sucks that Sharpie's gone, but I understand it. He definitely pushed the boundaries, and exceeded them on more than one occasion.

As for the larger issue at question, the mods work very hard and keeping the peace, but also allowing different viewpoints and not ruling with an iron fist. There's definitely some bad that comes with it, but there is positive as well.

As for the CDC Golden Age, I came in towards the end of that era, and there was a lot of intelligent conversation, that actually really drew me to keep coming back to CDC. It's been lacking of late, but I try to contribute from my end, and at the end of the day, it's still just an internet forum, open to the public, so you can't expect a hockey utopia or anything. The members of this game, of all people, should be aware that some people are just going to be trolls. Best to ignore them and take the high road.

jetfighter was given his three chances, he's now suspended.

Keep in mind you don't see all of what the mods do. We ban a lot of blatant trolls, but prefer to give people the benefit of the doubt and a few chances to learn and prove themselves. We gave jetfighter his chances, he failed, he's gone. Sharpshooter got more chances than most because of what he brought to the table in terms of constructive content, but couldn't keep his vitriol under control. "Getting colorful" is a very mild choice of words. He consistently attacked people left and right. So should we give established users free reign like that? If you do, you get a pretty cancerous community where the established players are clearly above all rules and free to bully anyone they want. I'm willing to give constructive posters an extra kick at it, but if it's clear their behavior won't change, they'll be banned like anyone else.

If you were given 5+ warnings and multiple suspensions over personal attacks, would you be surprised to be suspended if you kept attacking users?

Archived