The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CDCGML 2011-12 Season

canuck2xtreme

QUESTION TO THE AGENTS + OTHER GM'S OF INTERESTED ON HAVING AN INPUT:

DO YOU THINK THERE SHOULD BE A MINOR LEAGUE IR IMPLEMENTED?

I brought this up last year after Stalock was out for the season last year, and was wondering what other GMs thought. If a minor league player on a minor league team was out for an extended period of time, isn't there an IR system in place for those teams too?

I like the idea, I can understand in Yoshi's case why it could be useful or at the least in the instance regarding his netminder whom was out for the year. We do have the Minor League teams ( our affiliate teams ) already though for the purpose of developing players or holding AHLers so they do not take up an active roster spot. Meaning they aren't costing us points anyways.

In Yoshi's case again the player was not collecting points to begin with for his team. If the player was called up and potentially making points and there was the injury he could be placed on the NHL team's LTIR rather than being sent down or sent down and placed on a Minors LTIR.

In New Jersey's case last season Dustin Jeffrey was getting his first taste of NHL life as was Alexander Burmistrov. Both were injured and both went to the Atlantic City roster as there was ample budget for the Minor's team. But in both cases the player's could have been placed on LTIR while in New Jersey.

If a team has more flexability with say a few NHL players waivers exempt you could in Yoshi's case last year call up the injured player, send a LTIR request to theminister and create room in your Minors this way albeit temporarily, maybe bring in a temporary player to fill the void.

New Jersey would likely not use the format brought up here by Yoshi. I can see how it could be of interest to try, but I see more work ahead for the League Executives than may be worth in benefits to any team using this system. Some creative GM'ing may be all that is needed.

What responsibilities would the executive have?

Good question.

- Assisting with free agency/contract negotiations.

- Keeping track of and posting injury reserve players.

- Roster analysis (ensuring players are happy in their roles)

- Helping to grow the league.

- Contributing to future developments/advancements.

- Recruiting new members if/when needed.

We may be looking for more than one, but that is undecided at this point.

While I got a moment -

I don't think there should be a minor league IR for three reasons.

1 - What happens if you have an injured player, then sign someone to 'replace' him, then the original player comes back and push's you over your minor league budget?

It would force you to make a trade, or just it could happen that nobody notices and then you would be able to get more players then your budgets allowed.

2 - it's a lot of extra work to monitor that, as some GM's have players that they are holding onto that are playing in Europe etc.

3 - Why not just call the player up and then place him on your NHL IR? ( if you are really worried about it)

The players in your minors are not counting for points...

While I got a moment -

I don't think there should be a minor league IR for three reasons.

1 - What happens if you have an injured player, then sign someone to 'replace' him, then the original player comes back and push's you over your minor league budget?

It would force you to make a trade, or just it could happen that nobody notices and then you would be able to get more players then your budgets allowed.

2 - it's a lot of extra work to monitor that, as some GM's have players that they are holding onto that are playing in Europe etc.

3 - Why not just call the player up and then place him on your NHL IR? ( if you are really worried about it)

The players in your minors are not counting for points...

Archived