The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CDCGML 2011-12 Season

canuck2xtreme

Thanks guys. I thought I gave up a bit extra to get Josi, but Weber was very good at pointing out his needs and my wants. We looked at the free agent class and the trade market and felt that this will be one of the better deals we can make. Getting a young top-4 Defenseman is tough, so we definitely had to give up some good assets. It's a shame we never got to see Colborne in a Lightning jersey, but our forward depth was much better than our defensive depth, and it was a need that we had to address going into the draft.

----------Florida Panthers

James Neal - Jonathon Toews - Patrick Kane

Alex Burmistrov - David Backes - Chris Stewart

__________ - Colin Wilson - Chris Neil

Jesse Winchester - Greg Campbell - Jordan Nolan

Samuel Pahlsson

Oliver Ekman-Larsson - Erik Karlsson

Jason Garrison - Tyler Myers

Adam McQuaid - David Rundblad

Stu Bickel

Corey Crawford

------------Rochester Americans

Brandon Saad - Jordan Schroeder - Teemu Hartikainen

Marek Tvrdon - Philippe Cornet - Akim Aliu

Brett Sterling

Jonathon Blum - Connor Murphy

Danny DeKeyser - Cade Fairchild

Alexandre Picard

Matt Hackett

----------Florida Panthers

James Neal - Jonathon Toews - Patrick Kane

Alex Burmistrov - David Backes - Chris Stewart

__________ - Colin Wilson - Chris Neil

Jesse Winchester - Greg Campbell - Jordan Nolan

Samuel Pahlsson

Oliver Ekman-Larsson - Erik Karlsson

Jason Garrison - Tyler Myers

Adam McQuaid - David Rundblad

Stu Bickel

Corey Crawford

Jose Theodore

------------Rochester Americans

Brandon Saad - Jordan Schroeder - Teemu Hartikainen

Marek Tvrdon - Philippe Cornet - Akim Aliu

Brett Sterling

Jonathon Blum - Connor Murphy

Danny DeKeyser - Cade Fairchild

Alexandre Picard

Matt Hackett

I have to agree more so with Ace ( congrats on the League Championship btw! ) and y0shi in regards to the scoring structure. I think adding stats like blocked shots and hits can add value to the role players on any given team, however one outcome from a change that I would consider major would be many many many many more trades.

I am not sure if we are using pickuphockey for next season but it would not at all be hard to track ( by the excutives ) Misconducts on a nightly basis, track them and deduct from any point totals given to teams with such players misconducts. I mean we already add points at the end of the year to teams for awards winners.

I feel we should remove misconducts from point totals and we can do this ourselves if a site is unable to do so. I'd be open to adding hits and blocked shots, but not a fan of it as this will change point totals immensely and if the League wants more " realism " than sorry but you'd expect a ton of trades where teams try and catch up and adjust. And like y0shi said we have built our teams to this point based on a completely different scoring structure.

Finally as in " real life " you are going to have stars and role players, journeymen and franchise players, I dont see changing the scoring structure as something that will keep things real, will bring the gap between 4th liners and top liners closer together. I don't want that. That is part of the fun of GM'ing, finding certain players for certain roles, players who are worth more or less. Do we want Willie Mitchell as valuable as Anze Kopitar ? That may be an extreme example but I dont.

Thanks

Hey good post Mike V.

Again, I am down with whatever the executive decides to do, but this post makes sense. I know that using the NHL Stat Machine is really easy if your used to it, and as proof, without ever looking there for 10 minute misconducts, I am now going to start a timer and see if I can do it easily and fast...just for fun, lol I am using 'online stopwatch' at www.online_stopwatch.com, lol...oh and starting from this page without preloading any search engines or nhl.com.

Hahaha, that was fun: 32 seconds to open cdc, click the nhl logo, select stats/individuals from the drop down menu, que it to search last years regular season for all teams, all possitions, all nationalities...rookies and veterans and lastly the report type: penalties...then resorted the results with Misconducts and voila:

only 19 players had more than two all season, and Zac Rinaldo is our winner with the most: logging in at 8 ten minute misconducts, haha. Runner up Derek Dorsett with 6, and a three way tie with 5 each: Steve Ott, Zenon Konopka and Vancouver Canucks own Maxim Lapierre. Actually all that did was tell me that aside from the top ten offenders only a small group of players got more than 10 points out of the situation all season long....and the playoffs: only 25 players total got at least one misconduct...5 got 2 and one guy got 3, so it definately more outcome changing in the playoffs than regular season. I stand by my previous suggestion of not worrying about it inthe regular season, but manually subtracting them in the playoffs if that situation ever factors into our game, which is highly unlikely. 800 nHL players, but in our league and playoffs only about 20% of them are involved in playoff games for the first round, 10% for the second, 5% for the third and what was it in the fourth round..like 6 players? not really worth the effort i think for regular season, but worth subtracting manually in the playoffs, as it will be easier to track. Just a suggestion.

EDIT: I do agree totally that adding points for stats that were not previously counted would significantly alter the value of players, and could lead to a major shuffle of the league, and I will use one of my own UFA's as an example

Greg Zanon got the rangers something like 69 or 75 points all last season, but if he had blocked shots added to that total say at a point each: suddenly he is in the top 45 of a category and adds 136 points to his fantasy points value...from 75 to 211...and if they were rated at half a point each, he would still double his point production..do that for hundreds of players and you throw off the entire market value system that our contracts are based upon. IMO too much upheaval.

DOUBLE EDIT: I thought i should look at two seasons ago for ten minute misconducts and only 1 of the players who i listed above is in the top five from the previous season, so my take on that is that really, only 1 player can be said to be year over year gaining fantasy points from his 10 minute misconducts, the rest generally are just getting them on a relatively 'random' basis insofar as our points go.

With Lindback being traded to the Lighting IRL, another goalie in the Predators system could make it as Rinne's backup in Jeremy Smith. Although he's much smaller than Rinner or Lindback, he played in 56 games for the Milwaukee Admirals and was in the top-10 in every goaltending category.

Yeah I fully agree with Mike, changing all of this just adds a whole new dimension to the game and adding values to guys that weren't valued for 3 seasons now for a reason, it just doesn't make much sense when you come down to it.

Archived