The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ask Avelanche Anything? - the resurrection

avelanch

She's making chilli.

Pairing Chili with Beer

Chili is one of those dishes where everyone has their own secret recipe. Usually these secret recipes include more hot peppers than should legally be allowed in one pot but there are plenty of ways that people enjoy chili. With such a variable dish one needs a flexible beer that can handle the heat, meat, beans, spices and whatever else people decide to throw on top like cheese, crackers or, in the case of some very peculiar pockets of the US, spaghetti. That beer is Vienna lager. The style may seem a little obscure but it's really not. Austrian brewers moved to Mexico in the 1800's and introduced their amber lager where it remains popular. Today it is sold under such brands as Negra Modelo and Dos Equis Amber throughout Mexico and the US. The sweet, caramelly beer is an excellent foil for dishes with a lot of heat making the style popular in Tex-mex restaurants. In the case of this chili the bright apple notes in the beer play nicely against the earthy notes of the beans and cumin spicing.

Pairing Chili with Cocktails

Chili is a very hearty meal and there's a lot going on in it so it is best to do the exact opposite with cocktails. Simple mixed drinks that are light in flavor, tall and refreshing make the best match with chili, do not compete with the complexity of the food, and help you wash it down - which is certainly necessary if you enjoy the spicier adaptation. Fitting drinks include the ever-refreshing Pimm's Cup, the whiskey-based Presbyterian and, if you do opt for those chiles, the Paloma with it's tequila base and soothing grapefruit soda. My personal tastes typically run to beer and it's usually a Black and Blue.

Pairing Chili with Wine

There are plenty of wine pairing options for chili, especially if you prefer red wines. For the red wine lovers, I'd suggest shooting for a red wine that strikes a good balance between its acidity and tannin content. Consider an Argentinian Malbec, a Shiraz, a Tempranillo or select Cabernet Sauvignons. These specific red wine varietals will be able to handle the meat, tomatoes and bit of traditional chili spice (cumin, chiles, etc.). The white wine fan would do well with an off-dry German or Alsace Riesling or even a sparkling wine like Cava - where the bubbles can help cut the spice. Finally, a dry Rose would be a very viable chili pairing option, especially if you don't want to go head on with a red, and aren't overly prone to consider white wines as chili contenders.

This is a very good and cheap Malbec if you're interested. Now it's not the "be all end all" but it's imminently drinkable and if I recall is only around the $12 mark. It's my wife and my "go to" wine for tasty but affordable casual drinking...and we're part time wine snobs.

If you and your "friend" have less sophisticated palates, it should do quite nicely.

http://www.bcliquorstores.com/product/632919

JZ1009AA.jpg

What do you do if you want to have a child but the one you want to make it happen with doesn't?

poke a hole in the condom? :bigblush:

seriously though, don't do that.

Discuss it, that's a major life issue, if the one you are with does not want a child, find out if it's a "right now" thing, or an "ever" thing. if it's an "ever" thing, that's a major issue, and you may need to move on. it's not fair to anyone involved to stay in the relationship if your long term goals do not synch up.

What do you do if you don't want to have a child but the one you want to not make it happen with does?

Get your tubes tied/a vascectomy(whichever applies) without telling them and enjoy the bareback ride. :emot-parrot:

seriously though, don't do that.

Discuss it, that's a major life issue, if the one you are with does want a child, but you do not, let him/her know if it's a "right now" thing, or an "ever" thing. if it's an "ever" thing, that's a major issue, and you may need to let them move on. it's not fair to anyone involved to stay in the relationship if your long term goals do not synch up.

Do you think there will be NHL hockey this season?

Yes, Yes I do. you gotta keep the faith.

Archived