The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official European Football (Soccer) Thread

Totally agree. They look clueless atm... Playing De Maria with Rooney in the middle, means there's only 1 proper C/M in the team, and they simply get over run. If they want to play Rooney together with either Mata or de Maria, they should play only 1 striker. But preferably they should play Roo as a proper no.10 or sell him and play De Maria on the wing... a proper 4-4-2 formation

Rooney is garbage now. He plays like a complete washup.

Dortmund signs Marco Reus. Glad for them, they couldn't afford to let him go. Signed till 2019.

I think the big clubs backed off because Reus was way too injury prone. Unfortunately he has "bust transfer" written all over him.

Rooney is garbage now. He plays like a complete washup.

I think the big clubs backed off because Reus was way too injury prone. Unfortunately he has "bust transfer" written all over him.

Can't argue. He's been really poor. Never was a midfielder but they still try to play him there... Fergie saw this coming...

But Moyes extended his contract. The fact he then bought Fellaini and later Mata, made it totally insane as they are all no. 10's... Put Roo up front as a proper no. 10 or get rid of him. (swim or sink time for Rooney)... And stop playing De Maria in the middle...

Can't argue. He's been really poor. Never was a midfielder but they still try to play him there... Fergie saw this coming...

But Moyes extended his contract. The fact he then bought Fellaini and later Mata, made it totally insane as they are all no. 10's... Put Roo up front as a proper no. 10 or get rid of him. (swim or sink time for Rooney)... And stop playing De Maria in the middle...

I read that Rooney hasn't registered a shot on target in 2015.

Crazy stuff if true.

Currently the only reason United will make Europe may sign for Real Madrid this summer.

• Upvote 1

No buyout in Reus's contract...or for any Dortmund player for that matter. But it still doesn't mean much IMO

If Dortmund, by some more bad luck/disastrous form, get relegated this season, y'all really think he's gonna be playing in the 2nd Bundesliga in a Euro Cup year?

But nonetheless, still very good on him to give his club some benefits by re-signing. Loyalty is running thin in this game.

EDIT: Caboose covered it above.

Edited by Not Alain Vigneault

I read that Rooney hasn't registered a shot on target in 2015.

Crazy stuff if true.

Currently the only reason United will make Europe may sign for Real Madrid this summer.

Van Gaal is creating an issue trying to shoehorn all the "star" players into the team regardless of their form. Rooney as a 10 or the second striker would be better than RvP and Falcao right now. Also I legitimately fail to understand how Herrera is not a first team player.

Based on their previous games United's XI should be:

de Gea

McNair-Rojo-Smalling-Shaw

Blind

Herrera-Januzaj

Di Maria

Rooney-Wilson

Both van Persie and Falcao need a benching and the only 3 players that were any good against West Ham were De Gea, Shaw and Blind. If United lose de Gea they are done for.

Van Gaal is creating an issue trying to shoehorn all the "star" players into the team regardless of their form. Rooney as a 10 or the second striker would be better than RvP and Falcao right now. Also I legitimately fail to understand how Herrera is not a first team player.

Based on their previous games United's XI should be:

de Gea

McNair-Rojo-Smalling-Shaw

Blind

Herrera-Januzaj

Di Maria

Rooney-Wilson

Both van Persie and Falcao need a benching and the only 3 players that were any good against West Ham were De Gea, Shaw and Blind. If United lose de Gea they are done for.

I think Di Maria can play in Januzaj's spot with his work rate leaving room for Mata's creative presence behind the strikers.

Anyone but Fellaini is good though.

I think Di Maria can play in Januzaj's spot with his work rate leaving room for Mata's creative presence behind the strikers.

Anyone but Fellaini is good though.

I agree with that but Januzaj needs to get his minutes to develop. Honestly, based on the run of games in January, i would rather have di Maria on the bench. Ever since November he has been in bad form. He is too selfish and makes wild passes and takes bad shots. He hasn't been able to cross the ball in from the corners and United have resorted to Phil JONES TAKING CORNERS.

Idg wtf LVG is doing. How he can't manage to even get the formation right is mind boggling. Not hard. Either play a 4-4-2 diamond or a 4-3-3, preferably the first.

Rooney's best years were clearly when he was alone on top. Get your head out of your ass Gaal, drop one of RVP/Falcao and move Rooney up. Even Scholes said Rooney is being wasted at mid and should be used up front. 3rd all time in club scoring, fracken get him out of there and move him up.

One of the most annoying things is LVG always talks about balance but playing Rooney in mid creates the most inbalance. He isn't good enough for mid so either play him up top or sit him. It's not Rooney;s fault, he's being put in a situation where it's incredibly hard for him and the team to succeed. The fact he is being used as an utility player is a piss off. Predicted XI versus Burnley, Rooney is stuck at mid and Flacao is swapped with Wilson. I don't get it. I mean, I know the midfield is pretty weak but just get Rooney the hell out of there.

4-3-3 logic

pros: arguably the most successful formation in CL and football in general the past number of years. Lots of emphasis on possession. Players move freely in mid and attacking positions.

cons: need top quality players in front 6 to work. Barcelona recently and Man Utd in 08 played this system...average players will not succeed in this formation *hint hint, 4-4-2 diamond LVG!!!!!!!!!*

4-4-2 logic

pros: the trusted system. Sir Alex built this team to play the 4-4-2/4-2-4 with plenty of space and running down the flanks. Would at times use the 4-3-3 when he had to be cautious.

cons: exposes the midfield. Pressure focused on the holding midfielder. Need reliable defenders to make up for the loss of manpower in the midfield.

imo, 4-4-2. Let Rooney & one of RVP/Falcao/Wilson pair up front, Di Maria and Young on the wings, Blind and Herrara ( :sadno:) in the midfield.

if you remove penalty kicks from Rooney's goal records, I'm pretty sure his stats aren't all that pretty -- especially a few years ago with Berbatov when his shooting percentage was quite dismal

i don't think Rooney is going to solve any striking problems, and there's probably a reason why every manager he plays for either moves him back into the midfield, onto the wing (for England), or as a supporting role

@TRR

United's defence isn't nearly good enough to play a 4-3-3

The midfield is so unprotected in that formation you just need to look to Atletico's exploitation of Real this year to see that.

Completely agree. Just threw it out there but 4-4-2 diamond is what should happen. Utd sucks when they play 3 forwards now anyways. Somehow need to drill it through LVG's head. He's an idiot. I think he's been too accustomed to having all this success elsewhere but here in the EPL, even the $&!#tiest teams on any given day can beat a top team and its something he has to get used to. That plus his 3-5-2 will never work in the EPL. It's pretty boring imo too.

Completely agree. Just threw it out there but 4-4-2 diamond is what should happen. Utd sucks when they play 3 forwards now anyways. Somehow need to drill it through LVG's head. He's an idiot. I think he's been too accustomed to having all this success elsewhere but here in the EPL, even the craptiest teams on any given day can beat a top team and its something he has to get used to. That plus his 3-5-2 will never work in the EPL. It's pretty boring imo too.

When the West Ham manager calls United a long ball club something is up.