The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official European Football (Soccer) Thread

1 hour ago, GLASSJAW said:

Rooney was disrespectful to the Manchester United "name" a few times back in the day - demanding new contracts, going public with threats of moving to rivals, going public with questions of whether or not the club was ambitious enough for him.  

Here's an article about his attitude: https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2010/oct/23/wayne-rooney-disrespect

Anyway, he was so celebrated for so long. He was supposed to be the best thing to happen to and in England - but he wasn't, and isn't. Sometimes it's because he's played in ridiculous positions for England, other times he is neither a great midfield or a great striker, yet he is played in those positions - earning 10 times as much money as players who could potentially be more effective at it. Its easy to dislike him. 

Ahh yes I do agree he hasn't been anywhere near as important to England as many believe he should be. But I would equate that less to the talents of Rooney and more to the dire situation of English football development. 

In my opinion Rooney is the best player on the NT. Kane has been horrid this season, Vardy and Sturridge are question marks internationally. As 10s Alli is better but not consistent (age) and Barkley is much of the same. For 2018, I'd probably want them starting above Rooney but the NT doesn't have any world beaters at any position. Compared to the Germanys and Frances of the world they don't have depth nor do they have the world class talents of Ronaldo and Messi that Portugal and Argentina enjoy respectively. 

Rooney has performed poorly in tournaments, but I wouldn't consider the Euro exit his fault. In the group stages it was shown how important he was when he got subbed off at the 70th minute and the whole team fell apart. In the Iceland game the whole team was lethargic and I think that I could some people in the stands could have done better than some of the players on the pitch. 

However, I do agree with the fact that he was an absolute joke when doing contracts and the like with United. The captaincy clause, the potential Chelsea switch, questioning the winning ambitions was poor business. Thing is I can't be mad at Rooney for that. All players do it. Ramos did it last year and he's been in Madrid for so long. 

Damn I sound like a Rooney fanboy. Whatever it is what it is. Dude has not been the best off the pitch but he has given it his all on it for a long time and that's what really matters to me. 

4 hours ago, 87Crosby said:

Ahh yes I do agree he hasn't been anywhere near as important to England as many believe he should be. But I would equate that less to the talents of Rooney and more to the dire situation of English football development. 

In my opinion Rooney is the best player on the NT. Kane has been horrid this season, Vardy and Sturridge are question marks internationally. As 10s Alli is better but not consistent (age) and Barkley is much of the same. For 2018, I'd probably want them starting above Rooney but the NT doesn't have any world beaters at any position. Compared to the Germanys and Frances of the world they don't have depth nor do they have the world class talents of Ronaldo and Messi that Portugal and Argentina enjoy respectively. 

Rooney has performed poorly in tournaments, but I wouldn't consider the Euro exit his fault. In the group stages it was shown how important he was when he got subbed off at the 70th minute and the whole team fell apart. In the Iceland game the whole team was lethargic and I think that I could some people in the stands could have done better than some of the players on the pitch. 

However, I do agree with the fact that he was an absolute joke when doing contracts and the like with United. The captaincy clause, the potential Chelsea switch, questioning the winning ambitions was poor business. Thing is I can't be mad at Rooney for that. All players do it. Ramos did it last year and he's been in Madrid for so long. 

Damn I sound like a Rooney fanboy. Whatever it is what it is. Dude has not been the best off the pitch but he has given it his all on it for a long time and that's what really matters to me. 

Rooney was linked with City, even the Glazers admitted they thought that move was likely after Rooney handed in his transfer request how many times? Twice? That isn't comparable with Ramos, in my opinion, who was using clubs in different countries for contract leverage. 

Rooney put himself above Manchester United, and held them hostage for his ridiculous, undeserved contract negotiations. He then put himself above the team, repeatedly saying they do not match his ambition. I disagree that "all players do this" - since very few have the power to do it. 

I personally think Rooney is a scummy player. I like his work ethic most of the time, but I do not think his skills match his reputation or his ego - or his price tag. IMO, United should have sold him in 2010, but I understand why they didn't.

EDIT: a lot of this is of course just speculation, since we don't really know what happened and the English media is what it is. But Rooney maintains he never handed in his transfer request, but Ferguson, I believe, suggests that this is all just semantics, and Rooney backed United into a corner with his demands.

Edited by GLASSJAW
  • Upvote 1

Kane/Jannsen

Eriksen/N'Koudou - Alli/Onomah - Lamela/Son

Dembele/Sissoko/Carroll - Dier/Wanyama

Rose/Davies - Vertonghen/Wimmer - Alderweireld/Carter-Vickers - Walker/Trippier

Lloris/Vorm/Lopez

I am more than happy with this, but I have to question matching the club record fee for a guy who at this point in time wouldn't make our best XI

Although it's technically not European football, it is international football, so I'll just mention that Canada has an important world cup qualifier tonight.

They are in Honduras, where the heat and history do not favor their chances. (It's hard to forget that embarrassing 8-1 loss last time they played there)

The good news is, the final matches of the group stage have Canada taking on last place El Salvador, while Honduras faces the top ranked Mexicans. With that in mind, I think the Canadians would be very happy with a draw.

Still not sold on Florio as the manager though. It's hard to understand how Will Johnson doesn't make the squad....

It's official, he's Aguero's out for the derby:

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/37260489

Manchester City striker Sergio Aguero will miss Saturday's derby against Manchester United in the Premier League after being banned for three games.

Should be an exciting derby nonetheless, City haven't had this much depth in a while but obviously losing our best striker doesn't help.

• Upvote 1

So it already begins ...

Nevermind the source but it's pretty much a no brainer United will at least push hard for Griezmann next summer as there was chatter of it even before the Pogba deal materialized. He's a United fan, fav player was Beckham, have 2 of the best young French youngsters already on the club, not to mention Woodward loves to go bezerk during transfer season. Stars will hopefully align as time goes by.

€100M release clause should make business fairly straight forward and simple. Mourinho was linked to Griezmann when he was with Chelsea so there's that. Antoine already seems frustrated (http://en.as.com/en/2016/08/30/football/1472572307_014757.html) and surely deep down he knows he'll never finish ahead of Barca and RM. Would be the perfect replacement for Rooney.

On 02/09/2016 at 9:13 PM, TheRussianRocket. said:

So it already begins ...

Nevermind the source but it's pretty much a no brainer United will at least push hard for Griezmann next summer as there was chatter of it even before the Pogba deal materialized. He's a United fan, fav player was Beckham, have 2 of the best young French youngsters already on the club, not to mention Woodward loves to go bezerk during transfer season. Stars will hopefully align as time goes by.

€100M release clause should make business fairly straight forward and simple. Mourinho was linked to Griezmann when he was with Chelsea so there's that. Antoine already seems frustrated (http://en.as.com/en/2016/08/30/football/1472572307_014757.html) and surely deep down he knows he'll never finish ahead of Barca and RM. Would be the perfect replacement for Rooney.

Hé is à demi god in Madrid it would be heart breaking for those fans. But I do like The idea of ibra martial pogba de gea and griz on thé same team. Damn it looks great on paper 

I hope we can keep Grizi next summer, PL teams signing players like they are playing FIFA sucks haha

United came for him this summer and also last one. And of course, they will come next one, but I think he can stay. He knows Simeone is the best coach around and makes him a lot better, loves Madrid, loves his teammates, his teammates love him, fans love him and I hope he's excited about going to the new stadium so he stays and plays there.