The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official European Football (Soccer) Thread

3 hours ago, Scottish⑦Canuck said:

I'm currently watching the referee playing a game of "Lets make it as difficult as possible for BVB to get a result".

Yeah. Ref was horrible today. Wagner clearly pushed Bender right before the 2-1 and the second yellow for Reus was nothing short of ridiculous. Apart from that he was terribly inconsistent in his decisions. I hate referees. I don't care if the video review takes 20 seconds or 15 minutes. If the refs are that bad, I want to have the opportunity to review it. Wouldn't have been the first match we'd won this season.

• Upvote 1

plenty of speculation has PSG's Marco Verratti moving to Chelsea in the transfer window. at "only" 30m, I think this would be a pretty good signing for Chelsea - however, I am always skeptical about Italian players succeeding in England based on past prejudices. but given his success in the sorta-similar EPL-lite Ligue 1, i don't know if it would be that risky of a signing

28 minutes ago, GLASSJAW said:

plenty of speculation has PSG's Marco Verratti moving to Chelsea in the transfer window. at "only" 30m, I think this would be a pretty good signing for Chelsea - however, I am always skeptical about Italian players succeeding in England based on past prejudices. but given his success in the sorta-similar EPL-lite Ligue 1, i don't know if it would be that risky of a signing

I'm sure it will help having his former national team manager at the helm.

14 hours ago, GLASSJAW said:

No chance Verratti moves in January, and certainly not for 30m. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, GLASSJAW said:

First of all, if 30m is the price then Juve will almost instantly match the deal. He is a special player and will be the face of Italian football for the next 10 years.

There has never been an Italian player of Marco Verratti's quality that has ever played in the EPL, so I really wouldn't be that worried.

30 minutes ago, ReggieBush said:

First of all, if 30m is the price then Juve will almost instantly match the deal. He is a special player and will be the face of Italian football for the next 10 years.

There has never been an Italian player of Marco Verratti's quality that has ever played in the EPL, so I really wouldn't be that worried.

Zola??

And just like that United are back in the top4 race. And for the 100th time, just unfortunate for all those other draws. If they didn't concede those games, would've been right behind Chelsea.

That's 16 goals for Zlatan in all competitions this season - 10 more than any other Man Utd player. 1 away matching United top scorer last season (Martial, 17). 

e: unbeaten in last 10 games (all competition). 7-3-0.

Edited by TheRussianRocket.
  • Upvote 3

United are right back in the thick of things for a top 5 spot. Ibra was absolutely sensational tonight as he headed home Lingard's picture perfect cross. Then almost right after half time, Ibra provides another strike of brilliance as he took Carrick' through ball, laid it perfectly for Ibra, gives it to Rooney and right back to Ibra who absolutely put a clinical strike home. Rojo could've made United's day from good to bad real fast if he had been sent off for arguing with Rondon but a yellow for both was fair and just. Well deserved 3 points and would be much higher in the standings if they hadn't drawn alot. Now they have figured out their game and sticking with it. Go United!

Edited by Beary Sweet

7 hours ago, ReggieBush said:

Daily Mail (lol) is now throwing around £40m - while I'm sure Juve could match that, it's certainly getting up there

And yeah, I certainly made a mistake here. I was thinking more Serie A players in general, not Italian nationals necessarily. But since he's played significantly more in Ligue 1, I'm not sure it would be an issue for him. 

15 minutes ago, GLASSJAW said:

Daily Mail (lol) is now throwing around £40m - while I'm sure Juve could match that, it's certainly getting up there

And yeah, I certainly made a mistake here. I was thinking more Serie A players in general, not Italian nationals necessarily. But since he's played significantly more in Ligue 1, I'm not sure it would be an issue for him. 

A lot of Italians were pissed off when he left for France. It is crazy to think that he has never played in the Serie A before. Personally, I do not want to him to move to the prem. Anywhere in Italy is fine (except for Lazio or Inter) or to one of the Spanish Giants

15 hours ago, Beary Sweet said:

United are right back in the thick of things for a top 5 spot. Ibra was absolutely sensational tonight as he headed home Lingard's picture perfect cross. Then almost right after half time, Ibra provides another strike of brilliance as he took Carrick' through ball, laid it perfectly for Ibra, gives it to Rooney and right back to Ibra who absolutely put a clinical strike home. Rojo could've made United's day from good to bad real fast if he had been sent off for arguing with Rondon but a yellow for both was fair and just. Well deserved 3 points and would be much higher in the standings if they hadn't drawn alot. Now they have figured out their game and sticking with it. Go United!

Utd are starting to catch fire... however its top 4 or bust... 

I must admit that I am amazed that we are within touching distance of top 4. Don't know if we will make it but this is the best we've been since Fergie left, and still there's room for improvement... Keep it up.

• Upvote 1

What a scond half. If City can just continually play in the other team's half and play like they did in the second half today, I think they'll be okay. Great from Sterling all game and  Sane really played well in the second half. Yaya looks to be regaining some kind of form. Things are looking up.

PSG lose to Guingamp 2-1 yesterday (lol), unsettling Unai Emery's status even more. why did they even hire that guy?

rumour has it van Gaal could take over.

elsewhere in France, though, Mario Balotelli has 8 goals in 8 league appearances for Nice so far. they are on top of the table. pretty crazy